Bausch and Lomb 80mm Spotting Scope f/10

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 wfj

wfj

Apollo

• Loc: California, Santa Cruz County

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:44 AM

Miniature SCT with integral 1.25" visual back. 8" long from front flange to rear threaded visual back. Tube is 3.75" diameter. 44mm CO.

Build quality high. Not a bit of plastic, machined aluminum out of drawn stock with a casting on the end. No mirror flop. Cap on secondary covers hex collimation screws.

Attached Files

#2 wfj

wfj

Apollo

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:59 AM

Made in Japan. Likely Mizar/Hino. Model #61-8080. Likely around 1994.

After collimation, breakout test of secondary shadow shows almost no SA. Chief issue is > 50% CO! I guess that is because this was primarily for film camera use so low/no vignetting a 35mm film frame.

Links:
http://www.bettervie...d-Lomb-8080.php
http://www.bytesmith...ele/index2.html

Jupiter is sharp but contrast suffers. Double stars, the Trapezium, ... resolve just fine. Moon crater wall details excellent. Diffraction patterns dominated by first and second rings, central spot has very little energy.

Also branded with Legacy and Bushnell. Rubber armored version with longer lens shade.

Attached Files

#3 wfj

wfj

Apollo

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

Correction - not Mizar but Towa?
Posted Image

... It is a small 80mm Schmidt-Cassegrain. In the photos below you can see it's of the Towa brand. Don't ask me who they are, I got this as a present as a child. ...

Hmm. Could this be in some way related to the Meade 4" SCT's? See Meade 2045S thread.

#4 wfj

wfj

Apollo

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

Confirmed - not SCT but "mirror lens".

Two lens assemblies - one at the internal end of the baffle tube from the primary, other supported on an optical window.

Somewhat like:
Posted Image

Casting also is similar to Meade 2045, but much smaller.

#5 wfj

wfj

Apollo

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

Cannot find makers mark anywhere on body.

Still waiting on promised original EPs(18mm, 30mm), lenscap, and camera extension tube (female 36.4mm, male T thread).

BTW Model #61-8080RA (rubber armor) looks like:

Attached Files

#6 Tourneciel

Tourneciel

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vannes - FRANCE

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:22 AM

Hello to all!

Actually, it is not a SCT but a Mangin-Cassegrain. I have one on an EQ mount (see picture). I did a research to know who was the original manufacturer and found out that Kenko (Japan) could be it. Towa is just one of the brands it was distributed by. Here in Europe, it was sold in the 80's and 90's under Paralux (MMC 80) and Médas (Perl TCC 80) in France, Bresser in Germany.

#7 Tourneciel

Tourneciel

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:23 AM

Sorry, I forgot the pictures!

Attached Files

#8 Tourneciel

Tourneciel

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:26 AM

This one is the Kenko model (D = 800 F = 1000)

Attached Files

#9 Tourneciel

Tourneciel

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:26 AM

and, here is the one by Towa

Attached Files

#10 wfj

wfj

Apollo

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

Greetings Alain,

Thank you for sharing your pictures and comments. Its great to hear from you and see your scope of this kind.

Actually, it is not a SCT but a Mangin-Cassegrain.

So - like a Vixen VMC:
Posted Image

Did you disassemble to see if it was this or possibly a Klevtsov-Cassegrain?

Mine appears to have two lens groups - one at the secondary and the other at the top of the baffle tube from the primary.

I did a research to know who was the original manufacturer and found out that Kenko (Japan) could be it.

Interesting. Kenko does make "mirror lens" telephoto for cameras, as well as Gregory Maksutov Cassegrains. I would very much like to hear more of your research on this.

Did you find any "maker's marks" on your scope?

I assume you wrote this article/post/message:
http://www.webastro....ad.php?t=106861

I've attempted to translate it for others here:

Finally ! I finally got hold of a Maksutov(Mangin)- Cassegrain telescope - I've been looking for this for a while. Thought it might be like the Meade 2045.

This telescope is a Paralux MMC 80 Paralux, one of many of the brands under which it was distributed (first advertisement appeared in " Ciel & Espace " in 1988 , while others are MEDAS Perl TCC 80 , SBS, Bresser in Germany, Poland ) . The instrument was made in Japan.

Here is a description of the instrument:

It is a Cassegrain with formula Maksutov- Mangin, with a diameter of 80 mm and a focal length of 800 mm which gives us an F / D = 10.

It is equipped with a tiny finder (4 X 20 ), 3 eyepieces ( 2 Kellners of 25 and 12.5 and an OR of 9 mm), a terrestrial erector, a camera adapter, a 1.25" diagonal for use with American or prior Japanese eyepieces, which is a good idea) .

The mount alone is heavy (3 kg). It comes with an integral tabletop tripod, although it can also be mounted on a camera tripod.

The interesting thing with the optical tube is that it only takes a few seconds to remove it from the frame (just unscrew a nut) and it becomes 800 mm telephoto lens with a tripod shoe.

Everything comes in a metal briefcase barely larger than a sheet of A4 paper type ( exact dimensions : 31cm X 25cm X 15cm).

Hardware Pricing ? 50 Euros!

#11 Tourneciel

Tourneciel

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:59 AM

Hi William!

No, I haven't disassembled my telescope tube so, the only information I have about its optical formula comes from one of its french formal importers and from Germany.
I had to use Google translator to find pages in japanese to see if I could find its original manufacturer and, from those I contacted, only one gave me a negative reply (no news from the others).
Indeed, the article from Webastro is mine. My model was sold by Paralux (blue tube). Optional motors were available at the time it was sold (I'd like so much to find some for mine!). Sorry if I can't add more info.
Here are a couple more photos about my current instruments.

Attached Files

#12 Tourneciel

Tourneciel

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:01 AM

My Vixen Halley 70 + the MMC 80

Attached Files

#13 Tourneciel

Tourneciel

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:07 AM

Here is the Bresser version of the 80/800

Attached Files

#14 wfj

wfj

Apollo

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

My Vixen Halley 70 + the MMC 80

Formidable!

By the way, you don't have to disassemble the scope to see the lens systems - looking down the front at the top of the baffle tube directly, and then at the reflection off the primary of the secondary can show two separate lens systems.

You can also notice by reflections off the lens systems a concave surface on the rear surface, and a convex off the front.

This confuses me as it doesn't match a Maksutov(Magin).

#15 wfj

wfj

Apollo

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

Here is the Bresser version of the 80/800

Looks like the eyepiece is retained by a compression ring rather than a set screw. Casting looks different too!

I've asked my friend in Japan who works with Takahashi about Kenko and "mirror lens" scopes - hope I hear back.

#16 wfj

wfj

Apollo

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

Oh, and here's an example of the makers mark for Kenko - that would nail down the origin:
Posted Image

#17 Tourneciel

Tourneciel

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:06 AM

There was also a difference between models sold in France and those in Germany. Mine has a diagonal for 0.96 (an adapter ring provided for) and 1.25 eyepieces.

I wish you a great weekend! Here, it's cloudy... days!

Alain.

#18 wfj

wfj

Apollo

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

Previous article:

http://www.cloudynig...5885254/Main...

Other references:

http://forum.astrono...showflat/Num...

suggest it may be a Dilworth design:
http://www.atm-works...m/dilworth.html
Posted Image

The Bresser model is Pulsar 48-6000, and it has the same screw on adapter thread as the C90 and ETX.

#19 Tourneciel

Tourneciel

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

I have just got an information about the actual manufacturer of this cassegrain 80/800 telescope from a reliable source. It's confirmed: TOWA!

#20 wfj

wfj

Apollo

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

Alain,
That's great news, to finally pin it down. I have heard that as a rumour when in Japan and Australia, but no one could say outright.

Best I could get out of a German contact was a cautious "could be" :)

#21 Tourneciel

Tourneciel

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:31 AM

Hi William,

I am glad I could help with this. Fact is that, even if distributed under various brands, the name of the original manufacturer should always appear on the instrument. In saying this, I think to the Tasco 10VR which has a circled "V" meaning "made by Vixen".

#22 wfj

wfj

Apollo

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

Hi Alain,
Yes, so we should see a circled "T" for this my friend. Not yet for me.

To balance the tube, I disassembled the tripod mount radius block with its two screws. This allows the OTA to slide forward into the "clam shell" saddle further to counter balance with a heavy EP.

Underneath was anodized black, like the outside of the rear casting. No hidden marks. I have found them before on Japanese telescopes, but not this time.

#23 Tourneciel

Tourneciel

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

I don't know exactly what year it appeared on the market, maybe 1987 or 1988. An ad I found in a french astronomy magazine is from november 1988. I think Towa tried to make a really nice model (competing with Meade 2045?) because the optional accessories list had many on it: 90 degree finder scope, photo adapter able to receive eyepieces, dual axis motors, 2 X barlow lens made especially for the model, an optical divider. I'm gonna keep hunting for one with at least motors. One never knows, I might get lucky. ;-)

#24 wfj

wfj

Apollo

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:35 PM

The Bausch and Lomb seemed to be sold in the US in 1994, as a spotting scope. Only two EPs, a short diagonal, and a camera adapter, no options. I got this one by accident.

Best of luck in finding the motors - by the way, do you know what they look like? Often we don't recognize things when they are standing in front of us. Like the Orion tripod you mentioned up thread - 6 months ago I had the option to buy one at a fraction of the new price, but it didn't occur to me at the time, I couldn't recognize it.

Would have been, as you said, a perfect match. C'est la vie.

#25 Tourneciel

Tourneciel

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:14 AM

I can't affirm it for sure but, I don't think this telescope was sold here in Europe after 1992. Yes, I know how the motors look like, having been able to get a copy of its manual from a former importer (was kept as archive, my good luck). Fact is that I don't think a lot of people bought them, probably being too expensive. Since they were sold in Japan, I'm going to search japanese sites with the help of Google translator.
BTW, your french is good. Did you take classes in HS?
Bonne journée!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics