14 replies to this topic

#1 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:32 AM

Hello all,
I was able to get another good observation of Jupiter last evening. The weather called for cloudy skies, but early on it looked pretty good with only a few very thin high clouds. I was able to detect several interesting features listed below. A rather interesting and funny thing happened while observing. I was using my apodizer screen and saw what looked to be a flash and firework type dispersion while observing. I looked up from the eyepiece and saw a plane had flown through my field of view at 240X. I guess we know why they call the adopizer a 60's filter! It was an array of colors with the flashing lights on the plane.

STB - showed greyish and I detected what looked to be two ovals. They were faint but I included them in the sketch. (there may have been more!)
SEB - showed some nice detail across with several shades of brown and beige. The while oval was very apparent before the GRS. The GRS was a lovely red hue and a darker area appeared just to the left and south of the GRS.

NEB - showed several festoons. One looks to jump almost up and down on the EZ. For a few seconds I thought I saw quite a few more but could not be sure.

Temp 24F Winds N-4
With and Without Apodizer
18:25 to 18:50 EST

Ken

Attached Files

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:54 AM

Ken, you are off and running. Well done.

You know, it's interesting you see grey in the southern zones. Once you can see white, you can resolve grey. Once you resolve grey, you can resolve things that are not quite great. But, you see color well, anyway. That's a good thing, so many details on Jupiter are found in color.

It's interesting folks are reporting red hue, some brick red, to the GRS as opposed to the more hard orange I see. Darker along the bottom and, in fact, a softer brighter orange hue across the top. Yea, we're seeing some change in the GRS as we observe it. For others it appears to be from orange to red. For me, it seems to be a bit lighter hue, but an orange hue rather than red. Interesting.

For a few seconds I thought I saw quite a few more but could not be sure.

Yes, same happens to me. But I give it more time and I am more sure. :grin:

Nice catch on the ovals. They are challenging and require attention sometimes to see them all. Either that, or a lucky snapshot when you happen to be looking there. One night during a lucky snapshot, I saw at least four at once and for a brief moment.

Nice going, Ken.

#3 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

Yup, we got another one. Another mad Jupiter observer. Large strides are obvious with each sketch, Ken, really beautiful work! You picked up some terrific subtle features in the SEB, with that central line. Also, great catch with those two ovals in the SSTeB. Nice to see they've barely moved since I last observed nearly two weeks ago. All around fantastic job, bro. :cool:

#4 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

Thanks Guys,
I am getting some good views. I really like the HB pencil. It makes the sketches come to life.

Ken

#5 mike73

mike73

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK Plymouth

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

Hey Ken

Don't know why I didn't spot this earlier and comment??!!

You picked up so much detail on the NEB, I take it you use a yellow filter for this? It certainly works anyway!

What editing program have you used for the completed sketch? It really finishes it off well.

Fantastic observation! :)

#6 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

Mike,
Thanks for the compliments. I used a W21A which assists very well with the Festoons. Along with the W82A and W80. I may try my W11 next time out.

I made the sketch with HB pencil, blending stump, and eraser shield and pencil top eraser, and sharpened lolly stick ( Learned from another post by David Gray)

I just snap a picture of my sketch from my IPhone and e-mail to my computer. I than use GIMP. I cut the original drawing using the Ellipse tool and start a new 600 X 480 template and fill the background black and paste the cut image of the sketch. I just add my details of date, time, seeing, magnification, and filters. I don't edit the sketch itself at all. I found it gives it a nice look on the black background.

I read about what details to include from Paul Abel's book "Visual Lunar and Planetary Astronomy ". Paul's book is great for us visual observers. I have learned quite a bit.

Looking forward to seeing more of your observations and sketches in the future.

Ken

#7 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

Ken,

Excellent sketch of Jupiter. The braid like form in the NEB is impressive. The festoon on the meridian is looping all the back down to form a garland. The ovals in the SSTB is a great catch.

Thanks for posting. Dean

#8 mike73

mike73

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK Plymouth

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

Thanks Ken

I got Paul Abel's book for Christmas, between that and the sketching forum on CN I've learnt so much!

I have an old version of Photoshop Elements kicking round here somewhere so I'II have a play around with that to see if I can make my finished sketches a little more presentable.

Clear skies

#9 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

Thanks Dean,
I have been getting some good views. All rain today and clouds.

Good luck Mike,
I work as a Network guy all day so I minimalize my sketching edits. I keep as low tech as possible outside of work

Ken

#10 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

This one is very nice too. I like it very much.

Andre

#11 ggalilei

ggalilei

Viking 1

• Loc: Kentucky

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

I understand the feeling, Ken. I am a professor/scientist at work, but when I'm on my own time looking up I don't feel like being a scientist, I just want to let my mind wonder in amazement.

#12 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:10 PM

Ken,

This is a wonderful Jupiter sketch.
I've missed much here as I have been away.

Frank :)

#13 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

Ken,

Good sketch of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#14 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:53 PM

Very nice jup sketch, I can observe Jup on CN as clouds have limited my views.

#15 Heidescoper

Heidescoper

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Niedersachsen, Germany

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

hi Ken,

very nice sketch full of details !
I like Your style good contrasts.
Please show more :D !

Bye
Christian