Adventures in Z-Land!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 shanefl

shanefl

Explorer 1

• Loc: FLORIDA

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

So, for those of you that haven't seen my other threads, I recently got my Z12 (yesterday). What an amazing tool this is. By amazing I mean HUGE. I have already nicknamed it "The Beast" and will probably stencil it on somewhere in the future.

After setting everything up with it yesterday my impatience outgrew common knowledge. After glancing outside of my garage on the cloudiest night we have had in weeks (literally) I could vaguely see the moon through the clouds and decided to take a peek. WOW, this is all I can say, Even with my 2x Barlow and 9mm that came with The Beast and a VERY thick patch of clouds I could CLEARLY see so many details without losing much brightness at all. I know I will LOVE The Beast more than I already do.

So here is the dumb part. A couple hours later the sky had cleared up just the tiniest bit, there was still a very heavy patch of clouds everywhere, but I could vaguely make out a star or what was possibly Jupiter. I aimed as best as I could with the 30mm 2" EP low and behold there was my Jupiter! I took out the adapter and through in my TV 11mm plossl and OMG! WOW. I decided to take it one step further and threw the Barlow up there. The photons that hit my pupils etched a portrait directly on the lobes of my brain that will never be lost. I could almost make out the storms swirling on this giant planet. Words simply do no justice for this site.

The dumb part, getting to that. In my haste and juvenile yearn for an "eye quickie" I had completely ignored the cloud spit (rain) being shot directly into my tube! Long story short, rain spots and plenty of dew. I decided to put The Beast to bed without the cap on so hopefully these spots would clear up. Nope. I woke up this morning to see this.
http://i1164.photobu...Z12/mirror1.jpg

Obviously from the picture you can tell that I took off the primary. What a learning experience that was. I washed it in my sink with lukewarm water and dish detergent and let it dry a bit why I noticed other, newer water spots. I washed it again and carefully dabbed the water off with a paper towel. I reassembled the primary assembly and noticed just a bit of dust, I sprayed some duster from a distance just to be safe. I put the primary assembly back into the OTA and began collimating, wow. This took me at least a half an hour, at one point I was pretty frustrated but started to think about what I was actually doing instead of tuning a knob and checking the results. After I started in this manner it took me all of 5 minutes.

One question I have for the experts is this: when collimating should the tube be aimed up around 45 or 50 degrees? The reason I ask is because when I got everything collimated the tube was horizontal, when I tipped it up it was off just a bit and I recollimated. I figured that it should be collimated at the average viewing elevation and left it there.

So everything is up and running and looking great, I can't wait for a clear night... but this time I will wait for a clear night ;)

http://i1164.photobu...0110_100529.jpg

#2 Vic Menard

Vic Menard

Aurora

• Loc: Bradenton, FL

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

...when collimating should the tube be aimed up around 45 or 50 degrees? The reason I ask is because when I got everything collimated the tube was horizontal, when I tipped it up it was off just a bit and I recollimated. I figured that it should be collimated at the average viewing elevation and left it there.

Yup! :waytogo:

Sounds like you had some fun observing Jupiter.

It gets better!

#3 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

You're going to have fun with that big mirror!

David

#4 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:52 AM

The water spots are from the minerals in the water. After washing, you should rinse them with distilled water....NEVER USE PAPER TOWELS ON A TELESCOPE MIRROR!!!!!!

#5 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

NEVER USE PAPER TOWELS ON A TELESCOPE MIRROR!!!!!!

I think paper towels should be just fine as long as you dab and don't wipe.

Having said that, I don't think I'd do it myself ...

Also, not all paper towels are alike, some produce much more lint than others.

#6 rnc39560

rnc39560

Surveyor 1

• Loc: MS coast

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

When you store it also make sure the cap is on and I would get a shower cap to go over the back end. Avoid cleansing if possible. Not good for the coatings, but yes if it needs it terribly do it. Like Randy said, distilled water rinse. There are some threads here and info on the net about cleaning the optics. Sounds like you're having a blast! I was in awe of my first views, and mine an 8"! You're gonna love it! We told ya it resembled a hot water heater! Big huh! Lol!

#7 thomas68

thomas68

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North west Indiana

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

Very nice telescope, sounds like you had fun!

Keep looking up, Tom

#8 rlmxracer

rlmxracer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Motocross Mecca (Riverside) , CA

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

Here's a great how to on mirror cleaning.
http://loptics.com/a...mirrorcare.html
Also you'll want to limit the moisture exposure of the mount. It is made of particle board that loves to absorb moisture and fall apart.

#9 rnc39560

rnc39560

Surveyor 1

• Loc: MS coast

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

Oh yeah, when collimating it best the tube be horizontal. If its at an angle and you drop something it can slide down onto the primary.

#10 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

Shane,
Rinse with distilled water or pure rainwater if distilled not available.

I waxed my Z12 mount with a good grade of car wax to aid in repelling moisture.Actually also waxed the outside of the tube,too.I understand why the manufacturers use particle board but it falls to *BLEEP* if saturated and warps easily.

Anybody make a cypress wood Dob base ?

And if you really MUST observe during light rain do so from under a shelter!

#11 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

• Loc: Grand Isle, VT

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

There is no such thing as pure rain water.

#12 DarkSkysRFun

DarkSkysRFun

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

goto the hardware store. get a heavyer spring.. i have a post on here somewhere with the one i got. its long enough to make 3 springs. and some xtra. i dont even use the 2nd set up screws to lock hold the cell.. the springs work great. i shoulder carred it down stairs and it held colimation purfect. the springs that come with it. will DRIVE u NUTS... been there done it lol ..

#13 shanefl

shanefl

Explorer 1

• Loc: FLORIDA

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

Thanks guys, I thought about newer springs. I took an oath to not purchase anything for 6 weeks because of the new equipment curse. This will give me some time to research and save up anyway.

Looking like the gods are either smiling down on me or laughing at me. 2 hours til full dark and not a cloud in the sky, or they are laughing at me cuz its going to get cloudy... I will let you know.

#14 david.r

david.r

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

When you store it also make sure the cap is on and I would get a shower cap to go over the back end.

are shower caps made for the jolly green giant?

#15 Billytk

Billytk

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Geneva, Fl.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

When you store it also make sure the cap is on and I would get a shower cap to go over the back end.

My wife found me one that fits my Orion 12" solid tube.

#16 woodscavenger

woodscavenger

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Boise, ID

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:44 AM

Great story. Start checking out the z12 dobmod thread. Add a digital incline and setting circles and then along with any basic sly app you will be in business. Ditto on the shower caps. have fun

#17 david.r

david.r

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

My wife found me one that fits my Orion 12" solid tube.

where? maybe that store exists in tampa bay. i need one for my AD12

thx!

#18 nirvanix

nirvanix

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saskatoon, SK

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

Rinse with distilled water and then lean against a wall at an angle to dry. This way most of the water will run off on its own. Any remaining drops can be dabbed off with cotton.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics