Great Winter Skies

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

Weather report is calling for "Very Good" astronomical viewing this weekend.....So, if you're in the Denver area....oh, and Daytime temps in the high 50s, lows in the high 20s......FINALLY!!!!

and did I mention my wife will be away visiting family? Somebody call weather central, there's been an obvious mistake (although it is full moon time).

#27 gene 4181

gene 4181

Surveyor 1

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

second half of january always seem to give us some clear night skies. i got to say those photo's are really nice. i don't know that i'd have the patience for it. nice work

#28 Kraus

Kraus

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia.

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:58 PM

Yes, yes, yes I love my winter skies.

Last night, I watched Ganymede peek out from behind Jupiter's shadow.

Messier 42 was lacking. I reckon the near-full moon can destroy even the Great Orion nebula.

Sunday evening I watched Io go behind Jupiter. Hours earlier Herr Joaoba saw her fly across Jupiter. Pretty neat.

My little niece is at the house this evening so no telescope for uncle Tim.

#29 OrdinaryLight

OrdinaryLight

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

Excellent seeing tonight combined with my first use of a binoviewer to give amazing views of Jupiter and the GRS. The planet was the largest and clearest I've seen it. Due to the binoviewer I'm not sure of the actual mag but based on the size of the planet I'm guessing somewhere between 160-180x. During glimpses of clear seeing the views were close to photographic.

#30 kcb

kcb

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: georgian bay,ontario

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:39 PM

hi,
i was out tuesday night and jupiter was a nice pleasant surprise through my 6'' refractor,GRS was a delightful near reddish hue,as for tonight which is thursday i just finished up on some great winter nebulae through my 22'' reflector on frigid georgian bay ontario canada,nebulae ic 410,abell 21 (medusa nebula)it is a huge gaseous planetary at 615'',ngc 2237 (rosette nebula )star cluster surounded by a wreath of delicate detail,ngc 2174 nice round emission nebula with embedded stars, ic 443 super nova remnant was a wisp of star stuff,ngc 2359 emission nebula in canis major is very bright and detailed,more details pop out with extended observations,ngc 2371-2 in gemini was a double lobed planetary with central star easily visible and the transparency for the frigid canadian winter skies was excellent,i am fortunate to live very close to the worlds first dark sky reserve,torrance barrens,wishing clear skies to all,and although the sky was excellent transparency it comes at a price of cold arctic air but for views like tonight thats what dreams are made of,k.c

#31 OrlandoMatt

OrlandoMatt

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

What camera were you shooting those moon shots with, those are beautiful.

#32 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

The great winter skies started sucking.

Last time I was out was the 13th. Last night was 3*.

This weather sucks and is going to still suck for another week.

#33 sickfish

sickfish

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Watertown Ma.

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

Was out Wed the 22nd from 8:00 to 10:00 9 degrees slight wind way too cold my hand controller froze up

#34 vismundcygnus

vismundcygnus

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kentucky

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

I bet you get some nice skies over at the gorge! That is one of my all time favorite places. Glad to hear about some other KY observers too. Christmas Eve was a very clear night and so we all went out to take some peeks through my 50mm scope with a 40mm plossl for low mag. I was able to share some stuff with my fiancee's son, and he got a kick out of it all (he's 8).

It seems like most of the clear nights that we have seen lately have been unexpected. The weather will say it will be cloudy and I get home and the sky is clear. But it has also been between 0-15 degrees for those nights, so binos are about my only choice, though I have am still learning some of the constellations so naked eye is nice too. I have spent most of my time checking out M41-45, and scanning the area in and around the big dipper.

Next time I go to the gorge I want to bring my scope. One of the things that got me into astronomy was the fact that I have been camping so many times and seen so many stars but did not know what they were.

#35 davebuechler

davebuechler

Viking 1

• Loc: Red River Gorge Kentucky

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

Vismundcygnus,

The great winter skies blessed us again last night. While not the best we've had, transparency was above average (7 ish+) and seeing about average. Darn cold though at 0 for the low. I spent an hour or so, off and on, looking at the new SN and seeing a bit more details in M82 than I recalled previously having seen but it was 3 degrees so I didn't stray too far from the wood stove.

There are some great horizons in the gorge and plenty of dark skies but accessibility can be an issue. Pack light and you can find some great spots!

Pm me next time you come this way and I can offer some suggestions.

#36 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:02 PM

This weather sucks and is going to still suck for another week.

but its suppose to be nice feb. 9th. :foreheadslap:

#37 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

but its suppose to be nice feb. 9th. :foreheadslap:

Actually I'm not in NJ part of February, it will be totally clear and 50*

#38 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

Well here in NC the skies have been crystal clear all day, but only a high of 28*. Just checked the Clear Sky Chart and I have a 5/5 on transparency and a 3/5 on seeing.

I guess I'll have to take out one of my grab scopes, but too cold to do any serious observing when it get's into the teens.

Wish it was 40* with that kind of transparency....oh well!

#39 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:50 PM

OMG

I've got blue bars and in the usa map I'm in the green.

http://www.accuweath...-weather/339505

:jump:

16* :coldday:

#40 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

I just came in from outside, yep its cold but the sky is beautiful.

#41 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

Last twoo nights bitterly cold for this area;but sky clear and I found M81 andM82 in 20x50 binoculars in just a minute after referring to Stellarium for position.The 4.5"showed lots of stars in the pole area,including a neat equilateral triangle asterism I don't recall seeing before. Short session,cold and sick,had rough shift at work.

#42 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

well, last two nights weren't bad. not bad at all. not "great", but good. ;) tonight was a little better, a tad more detail on jupiter than last night. glad i got to go out as the next few days don't look good.

#43 OrdinaryLight

OrdinaryLight

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:21 PM

Yep, I'll take two decent nights in a row. :) I saw the SN last night in my 4" and saw it again tonight in my 90mm mak and AT72. It was more apparent in the 4" but I was glad to get it in the little scopes too.

I also thought detail on Jupiter was better tonight than last night; I caught the GRS in the AT72 tonight. Not bad for such a little scope.

#44 Saint Aardvark

Saint Aardvark

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:42 PM

I got out a couple times in the last couple of weeks, and it was wonderful both times. Once was just on the front porch, lights from adjacent townhouses right in my face, and I still found M36, M37 and M38 -- clusters that last year frustrated me no end. And another night it was in my local park, where I found the supernova and had wonderful, beautiful views of Jupiter. I love clear winter nights; I just wish there were more of them.

#45 hardwarezone

hardwarezone

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:23 AM

I couldn't see the supposely blue glow of pleiades stars.

Used a 80mm f5 refractor, mag 4.5 darkness observing site.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics