• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brett Carlson

Brett Carlson

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

Had fun Wednesday at work! After I heard about the solar flare and sunspot 1944 I wanted to spread the fun.

I took my 20 * 80 binoculars to work with solar filters attached to work. Through the Windows I showed a bunch of co workers the suns activity. The view was impressive to say the least. Everyone was thrilled! I wasn't able to see auroras but of lot of people tried do I guess it was a win on that respect.

At the very least I got a few people interested enough to come to my clubs public star parties!

#2 tedbnh

tedbnh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

Good job! However I am always petrified of binoculars with solar filters on them. From a distance they just look like normal binoculars, and that might give someone walking by the idea that they can go home and look at the sun through THEIR binoculars which of course won't have solar filters on them.

I discouraged our astronomy club members from setting up filtered binoculars for the Venus Transit last year for the same reason - somebody coming to our event might see people in the field looking through the filtered binos and say to their kid, "Oh, Johnny, run back to the car and get our binoculars" and before you know it...

#3 Brett Carlson

Brett Carlson

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

I was certain to tell everyone that these were special filters and to never look at the sun unless properly protected.

I used these and my 6" dob for the transit. Lots is people really enjoyed the views! My friend was near me with an ha scope...fantastic!

#4 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

I've set up the PST and white-light scope at work on my lunch hour before, for casual solar viewing as well as a Mercury transit. It's usually the same few people who bother to come over and take a look.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics