• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rustyprice

rustyprice

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, USA

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

Noob here, I've really been inspired by this thread and worked this weekend to decrease my light pollution footprint. Changed out the glaring yellow lights, like you can still see on the neighbor's shed, for a downward facing light on a sensor that dims when there is no movement. Still plenty of light so that the pups can see to pee and so I can find my keys and navigate the yard no problem. There's also some type of relaxing element to it all, where as before the backyard just kinda gave me a headache at night from squinting. Thanks folks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:25 AM

What's a dog pee light? Only humans NEED light ! :-)

#3 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights! Glad you're here! The changing of the light definitely makes a huge difference. It's directing the light where needed, rather than spreading out, and the sensor is a big plus! Well done! Now, if you can just convince your neighbor to follow your example! :)

#4 rustyprice

rustyprice

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

I have reasonable neighbors, they are professors who seem to do the "live green" thing, they walk or ride bikes just about everywhere, recycle, etc. I think I will model this a bit and then approach them and even provide them with a light. I suspect they will take kindly. Like I wrote once before somewhere else, I think there are a lot of smart young environmental types out there who simply don't think about light pollution as we sort away our plastics and carpool to work...if you follow the logic. Not sure why this element of pollution is so often not instilled.

It's amazing just what darkening my small yard has done to my night time visibility.

#5 richard7

richard7

Not Quite

• Moderators
  • Loc: Sacramento

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

Good job Rusty. It makes the night look a lot better even in the pics.
As has been suggested, however, when you approach your neighbors you might lean more toward a cost saving and eye pleasing side rather than "light pollution".

#6 rustyprice

rustyprice

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the comment and reminder, Richard. Personally, I'd rather someone come at me all honest like, "hey, I'm into astronomy and want to see the stars and your paranoia about safety is screwing it up"...but I guess that's just me. :poke:

#7 rustyprice

rustyprice

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

One more thought, as a psychology trained person and therapist I actually wonder about the validity of that suggestion, people don't like feeling fooled. The neighbors will no doubt see you outside with the telescope, or already have, and might think, "that guys just trying to pull one over on me for his little hobby", screw him trying to hood wink me...light back on.

#8 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

Honesty is always the best policy.

If straightforwardness doesn't produce the desired results, it's more than likely that dissembling would have been similarly ineffective, as well.

#9 fivestring

fivestring

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mt Holly, NC

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

Personally, I'd rather someone come at me all honest like, "hey, I'm into astronomy and want to see the stars and your paranoia about safety is screwing it up"...but I guess that's just me. :poke:

LOL...

That's the way I am.

I don't beat around too many bushes...

#10 acr_astro

acr_astro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany, Dusseldorf area

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:38 AM

Hi,

everytime my neighbour notices that I'm setting up the telescope on my terrace, she switches off the outdoor lights at her house and even closes the blinds of her kitchen window. That's true neighbourly help! :jump:

Unfortunately nobody at the municipality has ever switched off the lights in the streets. Maybe they just haven't noticed me setting up equipment. ;)

Achim

#11 rustyprice

rustyprice

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:45 AM

Achim, sounds like you live in the right kind of neighborhood! Or, maybe you're genuinely a nice guy and she's just returning some kindness ;)

#12 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

I'd just invite them over for a BarBQue and a night looking at the stars.....they sound like nice, reasonable folks....and no doubt, THEY'LL notice the lights. Or politely bring it up while viewing....

#13 penguinx64

penguinx64

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Holland

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

What's a dog pee light? Only humans NEED light ! :-)

Humans need a dog poop light, so we don't step in it!
:foreheadslap:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics