Another RV-6 restoration

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 FlashGordan

FlashGordan

Explorer 1

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

I'm now the proud owner of a RV-6. It is my first "classic" scope. And I'm really stoked to be getting it. Now for the downside, it is in sorry shape. Hopefully some of the restoration experts can point me in the right direction for parts and information. I'll post some pictures later on tonight.

#2 youngamateur42

youngamateur42

Surveyor 1

• Loc: La Verne, CA

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

My first classic to, heck of a scope, have fun!!

#3 FlashGordan

FlashGordan

Explorer 1

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

Thanks Justin. I read your entire threads on your RV-6 and the 12.5". Awesome stories!

#4 FlashGordan

FlashGordan

Explorer 1

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

Got the pictures uploaded. So on with the show...
Posted Image

#5 FlashGordan

FlashGordan

Explorer 1

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:39 PM

It's not bad looking from 20ft off.
Posted Image

#6 FlashGordan

FlashGordan

Explorer 1

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

But there are some really bad spots.
Posted Image

#7 FlashGordan

FlashGordan

Explorer 1

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

And the one thing that worries me the most.
Posted Image

#8 youngamateur42

youngamateur42

Surveyor 1

• Loc: La Verne, CA

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

Nice! Nothing that can't be fixed up though. That tube cradle I'd ask someone what they think. Someone on here has a '59 Cave and their pier leg was snapped off and it was fixed like new. There are several different models/versions of the RV-6, and by seeing you have the nameplate it's older than 1971. Pop open the motor cover and on the motor you'll see the serial number with the date. That looks like a really fun project, I really enjoyed restoring mine. There's several people on here that know how to fix just about every part on this scope so I'm excited to see how you'll restore it!

#9 FlashGordan

FlashGordan

Explorer 1

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

I have a closeup picture of the serial number plate.
Posted Image

#10 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:57 PM

Looks restorable to me! Try to get that cradle repair first so it doesn't hold up the rest of the project. A machine shop should be able to weld it back together.

#11 Brent Campbell

Brent Campbell

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:51 AM

I was also bidding on that scope. You got it for a heck of a good price. Well done! That looks like a scope to be proud of!

#12 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:20 AM

And the one thing that worries me the most.
Posted Image

JB Weld :grin:

#13 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

• Loc: Wisconsin, Madison

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:44 AM

Nice! Nothing that can't be fixed up though. That tube cradle I'd ask someone what they think. Someone on here has a '59 Cave and their pier leg was snapped off and it was fixed like new. There are several different models/versions of the RV-6, and by seeing you have the nameplate it's older than 1971. Pop open the motor cover and on the motor you'll see the serial number with the date. That looks like a really fun project, I really enjoyed restoring mine. There's several people on here that know how to fix just about every part on this scope so I'm excited to see how you'll restore it!

Nice, looks like an enjoyable and worthy project! I am the someone who has the '59 Cave with the repaired leg. Click on my thread in my signature line below to see the repair and pics.

Steve

#14 Geo31

Geo31

Vanguard

• Loc: Kingwood, TX

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:40 AM

Looks like a fun project. Looking forward to the resto pics.

#15 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:24 AM

I've welded cast aluminum before. I'd first make a jig to clamp both pieces in the proper position relative to one another. Then I'd pack ice on both pieces leaving only the cleaned area to be welded exposed. The ice helps prevent distortion from the heat of the arc.

#16 FlashGordan

FlashGordan

Explorer 1

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:27 AM

I was also bidding on that scope. You got it for a heck of a good price. Well done! That looks like a scope to be proud of!

Then you know exactly how much I paid for it. Just about the price when it was brand new.

#17 FlashGordan

FlashGordan

Explorer 1

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:29 AM

I've welded cast aluminum before. I'd first make a jig to clamp both pieces in the proper position relative to one another. Then I'd pack ice on both pieces leaving only the cleaned area to be welded exposed. The ice helps prevent distortion from the heat of the arc.

I've seen it done. But the welder used cold, wet rags to keep the warpage to a minimum.

#18 FlashGordan

FlashGordan

Explorer 1

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

Haven't heard from the seller yet as to when the scope will be shipped. But I know it will get here soon enough. Just a couple questions, does anyone know where I can get the mirrors recoated if the mirrors need it? Preferably somewhere here in the northeast. And second, does anyone have a recommendation on collimation tools? Something good but cheap. My wife is bugging me that I'm spending too much money even though everything I have bought so far has been used and secondhand. Except for the Zhumell zoom lens. And that was supposedly the cheapest zoom lens on the market.

#19 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

• Loc: N.E. Ohio

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

http://www.majestic-coatings.com/

#20 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

Majestic Optical Coatings
152 Willow Way | Clark, NJ 07066
Ph: (888) 278-8308

Jeff Decker- Sales@majestic-coatings.com

I won't use anyone else. Very quick turn around and my coatings have been flawless. You may even be able to hand deliver it which would be a big savings over shipping it.

#21 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

Great find there "Flash". These are really great scopes with typicaly very good optics. This should prove to be a very rewarding project. The best collimation tool you have is absolutely free and that's your eyes and a star. Wife can't complain too much about that. :grin: Not sure of your level of proficiency collimating scopes but here are several good references to view.

http://www.andysshot...ollimating.html

http://www.garyseronik.com/?q=node/165

Here's a link to my RV-6 and it's resto.

http://www.cloudynig...4488240/page...

Hope you enjoy your new project. It should provide you with some fantastic views!! Can't wait to see more photos!!

#22 FlashGordan

FlashGordan

Explorer 1

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:16 AM

152 Willow Way | Clark, NJ 07066
Ph: (888) 278-8308

Jeff Decker- Sales@majestic-coatings.com

I won't use anyone else. Very quick turn around and my coatings have been flawless. You may even be able to hand deliver it which would be a big savings over shipping it.

Clark, NJ is about two hours north of me. I might have to stop there on my next trip into NYC.

#23 FlashGordan

FlashGordan

Explorer 1

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:29 AM

Great find there "Flash". These are really great scopes with typicaly very good optics. This should prove to be a very rewarding project. The best collimation tool you have is absolutely free and that's your eyes and a star. Wife can't complain too much about that. :grin: Not sure of your level of proficiency collimating scopes but here are several good references to view.

http://www.andysshot...ollimating.html

http://www.garyseronik.com/?q=node/165

Here's a link to my RV-6 and it's resto.

http://www.cloudynig...4488240/page...

Hope you enjoy your new project. It should provide you with some fantastic views!! Can't wait to see more photos!!

Thank you for the links. I don't know if I'll be able to do the collimation with my eyes on the RV-6 without a little help. It was a lot easier with 4504 because it is definitely a lot shorter. And I also got a chance to read through your RV-6 thread. Very nice scope!! Just seems that your scope didn't look nearly as bad as mine is now. I've done restorations and repairs on classic cars. This won't be much different in my opinion.

#24 snork

snork

Messenger

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

Yes your scope is a little rough but it definetly is not beyond repair. You will have a very nice vintage telescope when you are done. I was following this on eBay also :grin:
Here's an image of my Dynascope 10, which is my profile picture, before it was restored. It was pretty rough. Good luck and have fun!

Posted Image

#25 FlashGordan

FlashGordan

Explorer 1

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

Thanks Dan. Your Dynascope 10 looked like it needed some serious cleaning in the before picture. How much restoration did you actually have to go through to get it looking like it is now?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics