Please comment and/or advise...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shooter

Shooter

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

I just couldn't wait any longer - since the first time I saw an advertisement in a magazine circa 1957, I have wanted to own a Questar.
I have a cheap refractor and binoculars, an EXT 125, a home made 8" Newtonian, and a 10" SCT, but I wanted something to enjoy with my 8 year old grandson and even the EXT takes too long to set up.
I found 8-DP-Z-10824-BB on Ebay and the price seemed fair, so it is in route. I plan to mount it on a Manfrotto 400 gearhead that sits on a Sanford and Davis airlift tripod that I already have on hand.
So far, I have gone back through about half the posts in this forum, so I think I have a pretty good handle on everything, but I welcome any comments or advice.

Thanks,
Larry

#2 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

Larry,

Congratulations on your new Questar and a warm welcome to Cloudy Nights.

Yours has the Zerodur mirror and Broadband Coatings. That should give it optimum performance :)
So get it out under the stars as soon and as often as you can, that is the best advice I can give you. And don't forget to invite your grandson to join you.

Though not as quick to set up as a Q 3 1/2, I've always enjoyed my Q7 on a really sturdy picknick table. The little Q will do very well on such a table too. My children loved the Q7 most of all the scopes I've ever had. Great ergonomics and ditto images! I've included a picture of my 8 yo son observing the moon through my Q7 on that sturdy picknick table.

Attached Files

#3 ianatcn

ianatcn

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Hampshire, UK

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:17 AM

Hi Larry,

There is nothing like a Q for inspiring the young. The ability to sit down at a picnic table and look down at the moon in comfort means that children find it easy to see the full field of view through a Q.

I agree with Eric to get out as often as you can and even better with company. I purchased my second Q 3.5 New ten years ago and have probably clocked up more observing hours with it than all my other telescopes put together. Viewing the sun with full aperture solar filter is a particular pleasure.

#4 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:24 AM

Hi Larry,

Welcome to the forum. Hope this helps if you haven't done it before? I find the easiest way to set up a Questar on a photo type tripod is to....

First, adjust the tripod legs to level the base, with one leg pointing North.

Next, adjust the declination setting circle on the scope to your lattitude.

3.) Attach the scope to the tripod head.

4.) Tilt the head back, and set a bubble level on the objective cover. Once level, lock the head in position.

Last, reset declination to 90*, then rotate the head to the North to center Polaris and lock head in place.

Your going to love the Questar, just hope you have better weather for viewing than I do; all the best, and clear skies. :)

Attached Files

#5 R Botero

R Botero

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

Larry

Welcome! Questars are the best "beginners' " scopes. My little one approved my duplex last year!

Attached Files

#6 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:25 AM

Larry

Welcome! Questars are the best "beginners' " scopes. My little one approved my duplex last year!

+1 :waytogo: and awesome picture !

#7 Copernicus1473

Copernicus1473

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:03 AM

Roberto,

Awesome picture...a future astronomer :) Thanks for sharing it with us!

Jack

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics