21st Century or Cambridge Photo Atlas

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

• Loc: Dickinson, TX

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

I need some help with my wish list agony. :)

Does anyone have both the 21st Century Atlas of the Moon and the Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas?

What are the strengths of each compared to the other?

I'm not necessarily looking for an Atlas out at the scope, but more of a guide of what to see...to help in my planning for a session. I'd like enough geology to make it interesting without being overly technical or tedious.

(I have Charles Wood's Modern Moon, and while I recognize that it is a very good book, for some reason I lose interest after the Copernicus chapter.)

#2 photonovore

photonovore

Moonatic

• Loc: tacoma wa

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:39 AM

Both address the geology with the former being more consistent (on a feature by feature basis) and the latter covering more features, but many only descriptively. The former is defiantly designed to be used at the scope, the latter not so much, however, the latter is written by observers for observers...the former is written by a geologist first and observer second. That bias shows within the relative emphases in either book. I'd also point out that since you found Wood's first book to be less than a page turner, it follows that there is a very good possibility you'd find his second--the same. As they are both excellent books, this last observation should make the choice plain I'd think.

#3 kcb

kcb

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: georgian bay,ontario

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

hi,
i have the 21st century atlas of the moon and the cambridge photographic atlas,love em both,but i do find myself opening the cambridge atlas more often for reference,if you have the lunar 100 card the 21st century atlas seems to compliment that,if it was just one atlas i would take the cambridge in my opinion,clear skies ,kevin

#4 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

• Loc: Dickinson, TX

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

Thanks all,

I'll get the Cambridge Atlas first.

#5 kcb

kcb

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: georgian bay,ontario

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

hi,
just one more note,when i saw the cambridge atlas at chapters book store and looked through it there was no way i was putting it back on the shelf,also ''new atlas of the moon ''is a keeper as well,legault and brunier,clear skies,kevin

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics