107 replies to this topic

#76 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

ROFL. isn't that the best part of being here? :-D
In trinidad astro gear is hard to come by. I got my.9.25 from a guy who brings in for the army. I will find things in the most obscure ways. I walk into an old as hell photo shop and walk out with 2 pentax lenses.

I got the cash but the items are tough to come by. I order sparingly since our duty and taxes are the equivalent of a back alley thug with a rusty shank.

#77 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

So its time to report. Clear skies this evening. Unfortunately work tomorrow but I got stuff done.

So I decided to pick my spot and set up. I am in neither camp of level or no level. I am a student. I decided to raise the appropriate legs to read level on the bubble level of the mount. So far so good.
Night comes and alignment begins. I start with sirius and sure enough it comes close and after lining up I go on to the other stars. Then comes aspa. It gets nice and close.

Assuming you are looking through a diagonaled eye piece 25mm I begin adjusting the alt-az knobs and the lat control. Let me tell you, those things are a pain to use. Now no matter what I do the star of choice rigel moves left or right but it stays in the lower portion of field of view and nothing sends it to the middle whice is up if looking through the eyepiece. I fudged a little and played with the east leg and go it in the middle. I synced and unsynced and went to m42 it was a bit to the left and I had to use hand controls to get it centered. I noticed there was drift.
I used the precise goto and it worked somewhat. Stars trailed in 30 second shots from right to left.

#78 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

Thats good, after your ASPA next time, try a full shutdown of the mount and then another 2+4 then see, Kasey

#79 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:31 AM

I will certainly try that. I am concerned that while I was able to get it close in the finderscope it was very frustrating to get it in the middle of the eyepiece. fudging with the leg doesn't seem like a good option...unless thats how its done.

The right to left trailing and jupiter not appearing in the middle but on the right of 25mm leaves me a bit concerned.

#80 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:09 AM

Last night was another clear and super steady night.

I took out the mount and made sure it was level and the scope balanced. When night fell I ad my manual and picked up the manual and begin alignment again, this time i carefully used the legs to ever so slightly put the object into view. I used the alt az controls when it came to the eyepiece.

Shutdown and did my 2+4 alignment. Sure enough I found every target. Final issue. The objects are still to the right and they slowly drift to the left. Any clues what to do? I am getting there folks!

Also I used tape to mark of the EXACT point where my mount is so when I do it next I will know where to plunk down the mount.

#81 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

go into menu on youy handcontrol and see what it says when you pull up tracking. I don't have a VX but I believe it should say EQ South and Sidereel (you are in the southern hemisphere I believe.. Kasey

#82 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

As far as the objects being on the right, I would not, as I said some posts back on this convoluted thread, expect objects to be dead center. Not always. If they are in the eyepiece, I'd say "good enough."

The drifting? Simple. You need to tighten up your polar alignment. That is what causes drift. It's not clear how you polar aligned from your post. But if you want to minimize the drift you are seeing, do the built in AllStar polar alignment after your go-to alignment. That is assuming you have the tracking setup as the poster above alludes to.

#83 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

I am in the north hemisphere. 10 degrees north.

Uncle rod I used the ASPA, that's how I have been finding my targets better. I did my first calibration and used ASPA and got things aligned using positioning and latitude. Its the drift that remains, I have a theory that once I tighten the polar alignment the drift will lessen. I may try again tonight if the weather and schedule permits.
While I know not to expect objects to be dead center always, for AP I will need to get it close as possible.

This has been a convoluted thread, but it seems i am getting there, no?

#84 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

Is the drift continuous or just for a small period of time after a slew?

If it's just for a small amount of time before it settles then it is probably backlash.

Guylain.

#85 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

Sadly it will settle on a target and over time, say minutes there will be motion. To better illustrate, it will be on the extreme right when it finds the target and after say 20 mins or so it would have drifted to the extreme left of the eyepiece

#86 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

I am in the north hemisphere. 10 degrees north.

Uncle rod I used the ASPA, that's how I have been finding my targets better. I did my first calibration and used ASPA and got things aligned using positioning and latitude. Its the drift that remains, I have a theory that once I tighten the polar alignment the drift will lessen. I may try again tonight if the weather and schedule permits.
While I know not to expect objects to be dead center always, for AP I will need to get it close as possible.

This has been a convoluted thread, but it seems i am getting there, no?

Which direction is the drift? I mean E/W/N/S? if north/south, it is due to polar alignment.

#87 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

its south and drifts north. How do I fix it?

edit: if the orion nebula is right in the eyepiece and drifts to the left, that is south to north

#88 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

Wanted to take out the mount tonight but clouds!

#89 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

I was wondering whey celestron used those stickers to indicated mount home position rather than metal punches or emboss so that there would be no chance of the default position being lost.

Tonight i hope to do drift alignment

#90 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

The VX uses engraved marks rather than stickers... ;)

#91 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

ah! I have seen the mount but I heard that it did. If I were to go over to celestron I would tell them," Oye, stamp arrows in all your mounts, put dew shields as part of the basic ota package and while you are at it, fire the people who made the alt az knobs....try fine tuning the mount with those for a while, lets see your fingers after that, Celestron execs!"

I like Celestron but I am not above tell them when they are foolish.I will pat them on the head though...the Advanced GT is a nice system to work with.

#92 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:57 AM

Ok. So last night I set out to solve the drift issue. Set up the mount within the triangle. Sighted my stars and made sure I got my calib stars and did aspa. Mount was level and everything. My goto still sent my targets either lower right or to the bottom. In thr case of m67, piece of the cluster is outside of the 25mm.
Those if you who so ap, is this common? Also do you just use the direction buttons to center it?

The drift was notably less. I moved the head in alt az a little. I hope this lessens the drift. The drift is south to north.

#93 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

ah! I have seen the mount but I heard that it did. If I were to go over to celestron I would tell them," Oye, stamp arrows in all your mounts, put dew shields as part of the basic ota package and while you are at it, fire the people who made the alt az knobs....try fine tuning the mount with those for a while, lets see your fingers after that, Celestron execs!"

I like Celestron but I am not above tell them when they are foolish.I will pat them on the head though...the Advanced GT is a nice system to work with.

The altitude and azimuth knobs on the VX have also been improved significantly. ;)

#94 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:52 AM

Ok. So last night I set out to solve the drift issue. Set up the mount within the triangle. Sighted my stars and made sure I got my calib stars and did aspa. Mount was level and everything. My goto still sent my targets either lower right or to the bottom. In thr case of m67, piece of the cluster is outside of the 25mm.
Those if you who so ap, is this common? Also do you just use the direction buttons to center it?

The drift was notably less. I moved the head in alt az a little. I hope this lessens the drift. The drift is south to north.

Sounds normal to me.

#95 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:03 AM

ah ok, thank you. For AP proposes, moving the image to he center after goto had found it should keep it in view? I am asking this in the assumption i have done rough drift alignment.

The VX looks good, but I can't really afford another mount right now.

#96 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

after you center your target try sync to it and see what happens, Kasey

#97 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

Sync is really not the way to go. It might improve pointing in the area you are in, but it will THROW OFF pointing in other areas of the sky. If the mount is putting objects in the eyepiece, most of us would say "good enough."

#98 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:17 AM

ah ok, thank you. For AP proposes, moving the image to he center after goto had found it should keep it in view? I am asking this in the assumption i have done rough drift alignment.

The VX looks good, but I can't really afford another mount right now.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Yes, if you've done a halfway decent polar alignment, the object will stay in the eyepiece.

#99 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

I have seen when syncing a particular object might put other objects in the finder but nowhere in an eyepiece.

I will try to rephrase; If the object is showing up in the edge of say a 25mm eyepiece and I use the hand controller to move it to the center of the view, will it still track?

#100 schluterdude

schluterdude

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Centerville, OH

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

If you align your goto first, then ASPA, yes, pointing accuracy will change until you set up the GOTO again. You've mechanically moved the mount... Instead of using synch as a cheater (that's really meant for if you need to move the tube, like spinning a newt), use the "replace" function.

Pick an object, then go into the alignment menus. Somewhere in there is a list of objects you used originally. Select one of them and press enter, then choose replace. I can't remember exactly where the menu is, and I don't have my manual with me. I'll look it up later.

Or, power down, power up, and run the full goto setup again! Everything will come up dead nuts!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics