Photo

Celestron X-Cel ED Glass

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: In the glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

Anyone out there have the older ED glass versions of the Celestron X-Cel eyepieces? Would you mind telling me a little about your experiences with them? Have you compared them to the newer X-Cel LX models? Any information you can share about these ep's would be much appreciated.

Regards
Sonny

#2 Crazyhorse1876

Crazyhorse1876

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Left Coast U.S.A.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:41 AM

Good question. I would also be interested to hear about those Sonny.

#3 lordhaw

lordhaw

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

I have the 25mm X-Cel (the older one) as well as a 12mm X-Cel LX. The biggest and most striking difference is the blackouts on the older X-Cel. The LX doesn't do this. I also find the performance of the older X-Cel is better in a slower scope. It does work fine in my 8" dob but I find the LX crisper in the dob. But my example of the 25mm does work well once you get used to the blackouts and figure out where to place your eye. Hard to compare the AFOV difference without a side by side with a 25mm LX though so I can't comment on that. It's supposed to be a 5 degree difference (55 degree on the older vs 60 degree on the LX) Not sure what they changed exactly in the design but I like the LX better overall.

Maybe I should pick up a 25mm LX and compare :)

#4 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:33 AM

Can you describe what a blackout is? I have experienced the image blinking on and off but I thought it was because I was not still and moving my eye from the beam of the exit pupil.

#5 lordhaw

lordhaw

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

It's an eye placement thing. If you don't move yourself into the right spot then you get this kidney bean shaped black spot. You move your head a bit and find the right spot it goes away and you can see the whole view.

I think what you have experienced is the same thing, or sounds like it. Yeah, you get your eye out of the ideal spot and it blacks out.

The newer LX's don't do this. You can move your head around as much as you want and no blackouts happen.

#6 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:58 PM

Yup!!! Thats what happens. It isnt that bad though. I have managed to overcome that.

Does the ed glass used to construct these actually do anything or is it just marketing fodder???? From what I have read in an online review, they do not use ed in the LX models.

Here is the review......Please have away at it......
http://www.chuckhawk...l_eyepieces.htm

#7 NHRob

NHRob

Aurora

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

I have the 7mmm XCEL-LX and I find it exceedingly comfortable for eye positioning.

#8 lordhaw

lordhaw

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

I'd have to say that the LX I have is superior despite not having the ED glass. Seems to render colour better and it's sharp. That's not to say that the older X-Cel is bad because it's been a good performer too. It's fairly sharp in my 8" F/6 dob and it's phenomenal in my older beginner 76mm Newtonian. Both X-Cel's have the wonderful ability to correct the spherical abberations on that scope. The blackouts are the annoying part of the X-Cel. The 55 degree thing isn't a big deal with me (not yet anyway). You get used to it. Glad the blackouts were resolved in the LX series though. I can't say anything about the rest of the old X-Cel series, I only bought the one because the store had a deal on it (clearing the stock) and I got what I needed at the time.

#9 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

The reason I poste this question is because I have the 18, 12.5, and 8mm of the ed glass version. I now want to top off the set with a 5mm and I can still get that ep in the old design. I am anal about keeping sets of things. (my particular version of OCD) I wanted to know if I was going to lose anything by getting the newer LX model.

#10 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

You'll gain more by just getting ONE LX version over all of the others.

#11 lordhaw

lordhaw

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

Well, really if you are happy with the rest of the older X-Cel series then why not one more? If it'll bug you that you've got an LX 5mm and it kind of breaks the pattern then fulfill your desires! But realistically I'd have to think that the 5mm LX would likely be the way to go as they are better eyepieces. If you want to get the older design, see if you can swing a deal, as they don't make the older ones anymore.

You can then start a new X-Cel LX set :)

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:32 AM

The reason I poste this question is because I have the 18, 12.5, and 8mm of the ed glass version. I now want to top off the set with a 5mm and I can still get that ep in the old design. I am anal about keeping sets of things. (my particular version of OCD) I wanted to know if I was going to lose anything by getting the newer LX model.

Sonny:

I do not recommend the original 5mm Xcel-ED. I actually owned two of them. I consider that eyepiece to be the worst eyepiece with more than 2 elements I have ever looked through.

I am usually pretty forgiving but the first 5 mm Xcel eyepiece was not sharp on axis and smeared the image off axis even in a relatively slow scope. I gave it to someone on the condition that they never let it out of their possession.

Some years later I got to thinking it could not have been as bad as I remembered so in the interest of fairness, I bought another one. Indeed, it was as bad as the first one. :(

Jon Isaacs

#13 JustaBoy

JustaBoy

Skylab

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:47 AM

"I bought another one. Indeed, it was as bad as the first one."

Jon,
You were probably just being punished for giving the first one away - Not a nice thing to do at all:-)

I trust that you have disposed of the 2nd one properly?

#14 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

"I bought another one. Indeed, it was as bad as the first one."

Jon,
You were probably just being punished for giving the first one away - Not a nice thing to do at all:-)

I trust that you have disposed of the 2nd one properly?

Actually, a friend was in need of an eyepiece and I had 13mm Stratus that I no longer needed that I was passing along to him. I included the 5mm XCel with the understanding he would not part with it.

Jon

#15 JustaBoy

JustaBoy

Skylab

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

That's taking the High-Road!

Thanks,

#16 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

Having one that isnt so great is one thing, but having purchased a second and it is still subpar, then that says it all.

Anyone have a recommendation for something in the 5mm area that would be good in my 8" f10 SCT? I want it primarily for splitting doubles. I am not really concerned with using it for planets as my skies (always *BLEEP* seeing) really wouldnt support something of that mag.

#17 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

Having one that isnt so great is one thing, but having purchased a second and it is still subpar, then that says it all.

Anyone have a recommendation for something in the 5mm area that would be good in my 8" f10 SCT? I want it primarily for splitting doubles. I am not really concerned with using it for planets as my skies (always *BLEEP* seeing) really wouldnt support something of that mag.

#18 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:06 PM

I wouldn't pass a 5mm X-Cel onto my worst enemy! :lol:

#19 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:10 AM

I am usually pretty forgiving but the first 5 mm Xcel eyepiece was not sharp on axis and smeared the image off axis even in a relatively slow scope. I gave it to someone on the condition that they never let it out of their possession.

Some years later I got to thinking it could not have been as bad as I remembered so in the interest of fairness, I bought another one. Indeed, it was as bad as the first one. :(

Jon Isaacs

I had the same experience with the original 8mm Xcel. Bought one, tried it, thought it was one of the worst eyepieces I'd ever looked through. Not sharp on-axis, even worse off axis.

But later I bought another one for binoviewing! Sometimes a mediocre eyepiece can perform better when binoviewed. No, not this time. The Xcel 8 was just as bad binoviewed as when used singly. They have both long since left my stall.

Mike

#20 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:14 AM

BGO 5, BCO 5 or Hutech Ortho 5. An XO 5.1 would be very good, but they are expensive, discontinued and difficult to come by.

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics