#1 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:39 AM

The subject: NGC2359

The rules:

1. All entries must be captured within the same season as the contest. For example, if the subject was Orion Nebula, than any photo captured during this particular winter (or period that it was visible) would qualify for the contest.

2. Images to be considered for entry to the Challenge must be posted to and visible in the challenge submissions thread. A link to an off-site image without a version that is actually displayed in the Challenge submissions thread will not suffice and is subject to disqualification.

3. Images to be considered for entry to the Challenge must conform in all respects with the site wide image posting requirements. Entrants may elect to set this "entry image" up as a "clickable link" to a higher resolution image if they so desire, and entrants may also elect to instead provide a separate link to such an image if they so choose. If the entrant provides a legally sized and working "clickable link" as their "entry image", that "clickable link" will be included in the polling thread so that voters can examine the high resolution image before voting. However, any "entry images" displayed on the CN site that do not meet the file size and pixel dimension requirements will subject the entry to disqualification. Any questions on this rule? Just ask.

4. Please include the equipment used to take the image. Scope/Mount/Camera/Focal reducers/Barlows...whatever. Also include your location.

5.Please do not post comments in this thread it's just for these wonderful images you all will be submitting.

6. The equipment must be yours. Doesn't matter what it is. 20" RC, ETX70, 2" Tasco or an 8" TMB.

7. No collaborations. You must be the operator. You must setup, align, take the exposures and process them yourself. You can have help mounting that 26" RC if need be. No remote scope images. Unless you own that remote scope and have set it up aligned it and hooked your camera up. Then you can use it. No pay by the hour renta-scope images will be allowed.

8. Most importantly! Have fun. Support one another's efforts. As we all can learn from this and enjoy each others accomplishments.

...thats it.

The rules can/will be tweaked each month as we figure out how this can be made a more enjoyable experience for everyone.

Thanks and Good luck to all!

#2 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Apollo

• Loc: OK, USA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

Here is my lonely entry. :)

Date: 1/20-26/2014
Scope: Orion XT8 @ F/6
Mount: Orion Atlas
Camera: Orion StarShoot Pro V2
Accessories: Orion SkyGlow filter, Baader MPCC MK3
Guiding: Orion SSAG
Capture: Maxim Essential
Processing: CCDstack, StarTools, Photoshop CS2
37 x 10 min

High resolution link

Attached Files

#3 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Vanguard

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:52 PM

Outstanding image Puck. Six hours of integration with 10 minute subs, that is quite an accomplishment.

#4 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Apollo

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:14 AM

Thanks, Jeff. This is my 1st long multi-session data, which pushes me to explore further in both software and hardware capability. :)

I am far from being happy with it but ran out of time to further process it with different tools. Keep exploring during these cloudy nights. :)

#5 pdfermat

pdfermat

Apollo

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:42 AM

Awesome Puck - what's your secret recipe for 10 minute subs?

#6 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Apollo

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:16 AM

Thanks, Pat. It is no secret. Just a Orion guide scope and PHD. They do most of the work. :) The rest will be pray for a no-wind night.

Mine tracking were actually poor due to quite windy nights and I have not had chance to tune up my PHD setting.

#7 pdfermat

pdfermat

Apollo

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

50mm guider?

#8 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Apollo

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

Yes. It is the Orion SSAG package.

#9 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Vanguard

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

Puck,

Are you mounting the guide scope on the tube or the scope rings? I ran into flexure issues with my XT8 and am curious about your configuration. Also how heavy is your camera?

#10 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Apollo

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

My guider was mounted on the Orion 13" dovetail mounting plate directly. A friend of mine custom made an extension bar to mount on it. So my SSAG is under XT8 which reduces the need of more counterweight. It also allows me to swap between XT8 and F/3.9 scope without re-align SSAG every time. I saw some people did the same thing in the photo here. They probably purchase some extension bar somewhere.

I am not sure that is the best approach to resolve flexture, but it does look rigid. And I'm not sure if I have flexture issue since I have not yet fine tune down my tracking error yet. :) Most of the sub-exposures have round stars but some has trails which I blamed the wind during those nights.

#11 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Vanguard

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

I saw some people did the same thing in the photo here.

That is very interesting Puck. I don't see a link to the photo you are referring to.

#12 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Apollo

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

The photo below is not exactly what I had in mind but it is close. Basically a short bar mounted underneath the Orion plate protruding at front end (to sky). Then the dovetail shoe for SSAG is mounted underneath the bar (upside down).

http://www.cloudynig... with 50mm%2...

#13 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Vanguard

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

Thanks. That gives me an idea of how you did yours.

#14 pdfermat

pdfermat

Apollo

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

The photo below is not exactly what I had in mind but it is close. Basically a short bar mounted underneath the Orion plate protruding at front end (to sky). Then the dovetail shoe for SSAG is mounted underneath the bar (upside down).

http://www.cloudynig... with 50mm%2...

That mounting plate and ring set is exactly what I'm looking for - something that I can directly attach to my Losmandy-style dovetail, but I can't find it for the life of me. Does anyone have a link to where it is sold?

#15 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:24 AM

So - what is our target for March?

Charlie

#16 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Apollo

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

Since we have the small object in Jan., maybe we can try a bigger one:

IC 417 and NGC 1931 - Spider and the Fly

It's high close to Zenith and transit early (so no flipping worried :) ) and bright enough for OSC and Ha enough for narrow-band. :)

What do you guys think?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics