what do you suggest?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ianfromoz

ianfromoz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:56 AM

So I now ( finally ) have a telescope, the Celestron 6SE.

All bing well I will take it out for its first viewing ( after I do the first Skyalign procedure, hope I go o.k on that? ) next Friday, thats when there will be a half moon, or there abouts.

Now I have never used a telescope before and would love to get some close views as well as full if the weather permits, so what size EP's do you suggest that I use for moon observation ( Nexstar 6SE f10 )

Your thoughts please.

ian

N.B
Also is there such a thing as a best time of night to view the moon?
I will need to get to the site earlier to align the scope for the very first time, not sure how long that will take...........knowing me a long time.

#2 brianb11213

brianb11213

Cosmos

• Loc: 55.215N 6.554W

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

1. With Plossl eyepieces (around 50 deg FOV) you will need around x75 to show the full lunar disc with a bit of sky around it. That comes to 20mm with your 1500mm focal length scope.

For higher powers, 12.5mm, 9mm or just possibly 7mm if you have the scope very well collimated & the moon is high in the sky with steady air.

2. To view the moon:

Waxing crescent to first quarter: evening twilight

Waxing gibbous: between sunset & midnight

Full: late evening to early morning

Waning gibbous: between midnight & dawn

Last quarter & waning crescent: during morning twilight

You do not need the sky to be completely dark to view the moon, in fact twilight can be helpful in reducing glare.

Next Friday the moon will be last quarter & you will have to get up before dawn to see it well. I don't know where you are located but at my location the moon rises as 1:26 am, transits the meridian at 6:22 am & sets at 11:10 am. With local sunrise at 8:29 am I would consider the "observing window" to be approx. 5 am to 8 am.

The Moon will reappear in the evening sky (as a waxing crescent) around the beginning of February.

I strongly suggest that you download the excellent and FREE Virtual Moon Atlas!

#3 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

I strongly suggest that you download the excellent and FREE Virtual Moon Atlas!

Brian,
Do you have the link?

Ian,
Unless you need to for other reasons, you don't really need to go to a special site to view the Moon. If you have a yard, it might be a good idea to practice setting up and aligning a few times beforehand.

#4 brianb11213

brianb11213

Cosmos

• Loc: 55.215N 6.554W

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

Brian,
Do you have the link?

Try here ... I didn't bother quoting before because it's so easy to find with the search function in the web browser.

#5 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

Brian,
Do you have the link?

Try here ... I didn't bother quoting before because it's so easy to find with the search function in the web browser.

Thanks. I just didn't know if the OP would be able to find it (I already have the VMA).

#6 ianfromoz

ianfromoz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

Thanks guys, thats a good help to me, and thats a good suggestion Rick, I live in a unit but I can easily find a spot downstairs to practice setting up.

ian

#7 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

The 6SE I have is good out to as far as a good six inch scope can go.

Go with the auto 2star align - easiest. Level your tripod and be careful is all.

Eyepieces on the moon - well 60x is a nice low power centering magnification but generally to see the most detail 150x is ideal and when still sky's come along - for the finest details the scope can manage : 250x.

Figure on a 25mm, 10mm and a 6mm for the better nights. That's a bare bones set up . Overtime full in those gaps so you have 50x increments.

Good luck. You've got a nice scope.

Pete

#8 ianfromoz

ianfromoz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

Thanks for the tip Pete.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics