Cosmos DVDS!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

So, after year of putting it off, I finally decided to pick up a set of Cosmos DVD's. To my shock, Amazom shows them no longer available! I see the secondary sellers have them at rip off prices already, $250. What the heck is going on? Are they out of print. I can't believe this? :confused:

#2 helpwanted

helpwanted

Skylab

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:06 AM

Probably because the new Cosmos is ready to come out, so the old is taken off the shelf for a while... I bet the originals will come back.

#3 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

• Loc: Dickinson, TX

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

Actually, that's not bad. I bought them when they came out in 2001 from Ann Druyan's COSMOS Studies and the set was $200. They currently sit in my safe deposit box (twas a rather important part of my childhood).

On this subject I also found something very frustrating. From at least 2008 to 2011, the COSMOS series was available on iTunes for $25. It is now no longer available.

Now to be very fair, the releases of COSMOS (1985 laserdisc and VHS, 2000 DVDs, and probably even the iTunes version that was available briefly) have been fraught with music licensing issues. In fact a noticeable part of the music on the DVD release is different than the 1980s broadcast for that reason.

#4 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

Now to be very fair, the releases of COSMOS (1985 laserdisc and VHS, 2000 DVDs, and probably even the iTunes version that was available briefly) have been fraught with music licensing issues. In fact a noticeable part of the music on the DVD release is different than the 1980s broadcast for that reason.

Hmph! I have a disc of old "Bonanza" episodes, and the same thing happened. Instead of the famous Bonanza theme (with the immortal 12-string lick by Tommy Tedesco), it has some lame POS theme song. Agh! The best part of the show - gone!

#5 rustyprice

rustyprice

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, USA

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

Weird, ordered the DVD set on 12/13/13 from Amazon for $32.99.

#6 rustyprice

rustyprice

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, USA

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

Update: Just checked Amazon again, they are now showing the DVD set for $34.99 with Amazon Prime shipping.

#7 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

Hmmmm. That's being sold by a 3rd party, and looks like the European version which is in PAL instead of NTSC and can be an issue for US DVD players.

Does your cover look like that one? Does it say PAL anywhere on the cover?

This is the standard 7 disc US set

http://www.amazon.co...1_5?ie=UTF8&...

#8 mkothe

mkothe

Vostok 1

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:54 PM

I watched it streamed on Netflix (I think).

#9 BoriSpider

BoriSpider

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: S.W.FLA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

YouTube has them too.

#10 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

Yeah I've seen them on NF / youtube, but this is a favorite of mine, and I'd like originals in the best quality.

Could they be releasing them in bluray? I can't image that's the case as all the SFX, and interior shots were done in standard definition video tape. There are no film elements to scan, and on every site I've read in the past the speculation is that they would never be released on Bluray.

Still, strange that they would pull them just when the new show is generating interest / possible sales? Why would they do that? Amazon doesn't list it as "out of stock" but rather " not available"! Anyone on the forum know Ann Druyan personally? I'm sure see knows whats up!

#11 Zamboni

Zamboni

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:30 PM

Probably to do a special edition rerelease with new bonus features as a promotional tie-in.

It's gone from netflix too, unfortunately.

#12 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

I bought the original episodes on the Apple iTunes Store.

I can watch them on my Apple TV, Mac, stream them from my Mac to my TV via Apple TV, iPad, iPod and iPhone. Have Sagan, will travel. :grin:

- Jim

#13 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

My laptop accompanies me to the various academic conferences at which I am the technical coordinator. Often I'll play the first bit of the first episode during the audio checks.

There is nothing like Vangelis and Sagan's booming voice coming out of a massive 1000-seat ballroom speaker system. "The Cosmos is all that is or ever will be." :)

#14 BGeoghegan

BGeoghegan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern CT

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

If I had to bet, it would be for a remaster & reissue before or after the new one is on. That's what happened with the 1990s BBC House of Cards last summer after NetFlix found success with the Kevin Spacey version. If Cosmos is reissued on DVD and BluRay (marketing) I'd go with WMacky's view that the BluRay will offer little or nothing over the DVD.

Bob G

#15 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

Even the "digitally remastered" 2000 DVD release had grainy spots....the first 30 seconds or so (after the credits) of Episode 1 are noticeably grainy.

#16 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

Update:

The US version DVDs came back in stock at Amazon for the normal $89 price yesterday. Today I noticed they dropped to $63 and I wasted no time adding it to my cart and checking out. That's when I noticed that for some reason???? they then applied a additional $20 discount. It also qualifies for free shipping!

So I got the DVD set that was $200 3 days ago for a whopping $43 shipped!

I'm happy....................!

And in Cosmos mode! Bring on the new show!

#17 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

With as erratic as the availability of the series has been over its 33 years history. BUY THIS NOW. :)

#18 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

Well they arrived, but I'm not sure what to think......

I know these are old standard definition NTSF. video sourced DVD's, but I was hoping for something slightly better than the Youtube rips. My Bluray player usually does a great job up-rezing DVD's and making them look fantastic.

Not the case here. The actually look worse than YouTube, with lots more noise. The worst part is a bright vertical line on the left edge of the frame. What is the heck is up with that? Wouldn't they have cropped that line off during the supposed remaster that was done? I see it on all the discs I've tried so far. I then tried it on the computer, think it may be a odd combo involving my paticular bluray player, and my HD TV. Nope, I get that line on the computer too?

I don't see this line in the YouTube rip?

Can someone confirm seeing this line on their DVD set?

It can't be a defect, as these are digital, not analog. If they were defective they just wouldn't play at all? Unless they have remastered these again recently and they are all screwed up?

Anyway. that line is very distracting! I wish it would go away! :p

Posted Image

#19 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

Something is not right with CyberDVD or your monitor settings. In the screenshot you posted, I see no hint -- none at all -- of a white vertical line.

However, if I take your screen shot and increase the brightness or at least bring the black point up, the white line is unmistakable. The background of space in this shot should be very black. If you see red splotches, something is not right with the display settings either in CyberDVD or on your monitor.

#20 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

The odd thing id that it's there on my HDTV / Bluray player, But much brighter!

#21 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:21 PM

Hmm....I am curious if this is the set produced by COSMOS Studios. If you have a moment, take quick photo of the set and put it here. I'll be able to tell you instantly whether they are the same as the ones I got from COSMOS Studios in 2000.

#22 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:11 AM

I'll have to get my camera tomorrow, but they do say cosmos studios, and are the current USA set from Amazon. Content say's copyright 2000, but package design is Copyright 2013 hmmmm.It's no longer has a fold out insert, but it's more like a book. I just noticed this.

Do yours have that line?

#23 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

No one with this set on DVD? I was hoping someone might check for that line?

I was able to rip, and convert the set to MP4 and that seemed to crop out the line. I guess I have to live with it on the actual discs, as this must affect all the recent copies. Perhaps there was some kinda of re rendering to DVD, or was this always there? I also note a lot of distortion on the left edge of the frame which appears even on inline copies. Looks like video damage.

Being 4:3 DVD you would have never seen this on a standard TV, beinmg hidden in the overscan area. You sure see it on widescreen / computers.

#24 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

I have the set direct from Cosmos Studios when they were first made available a few years back and they do not show the line you pictured. I am just using an older Sony progressive scan DVD, no blu ray.

Dave

#25 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

Interesting.

I'll have to try it on a regular DVD player.So far I get the line on the TV and computer. I assume your viewing on a widesceen TV? My guess is that this artifact is in the overscan area and would not be displayed on a SD CRT set. In the mean time I'm ripping the rest to the computer. Not only does the line get removed, but the video actually looks cleaner as a MP4 file. Probably a smoothing effect.

I guess I could return them, but I doubt they will ever re-render it again, and soon it will probably only be available as a download. So no way to replace. If anyone else has ordered a new set, let me know what you see. Thnx.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics