Review of USB_Focus v3 (UFO)

By Ralph Laplanche

UPDATED 1/23/2014

#2 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

This is a timely review as I just begun the search for a Motorized solution for my EON80! I have questions!

Where do US resident purchase from? Direct?

What was specifically involved with the shaft connection to the EON focuser?

Do they have a SCT solution, hopefully with pics?

Thanks!

#3 ldesign1

ldesign1

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

This is a timely review as I just begun the search for a Motorized solution for my EON80! I have questions!

Where do US resident purchase from? Direct?

What was specifically involved with the shaft connection to the EON focuser?

Do they have a SCT solution, hopefully with pics?

Thanks!

You can place an order directly from their website. There's a purchase tab for U.S. residents.

For the EON connection, you need to remove the coarse focus knobs exposing the shaft. Attach the coupler to the focuser with the supplied screws and then to the motor. I had to file one of the screws down a little because it was rubbing on the inside of the shaft opening. No big deal though.

As for an SCT, as long as you have a Crayford focuser, the procedure is the same. No special photos are needed.

#4 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I will not be using a crayford for the SCT as it's an EDGE model that requires specific backfocus. I was looking for a solution like used by Rigel, and motofocus.

#5 ldesign1

ldesign1

Viking 1

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

I would guess that it could work for that if the focuser knob is removable and you can create your own bracket to support the motor.

#6 John Jennings

John Jennings

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

I guess the main question for me is whether anyone have tested it with FocusMax. It seems they would have since many imagers that use a remote focuser are using an automated focusing system like FocusMax.

It's looks like the same system as Robofocus, but repeatability and reliability in a remote installation is critical. My observatory is over 1000 miles away from my house, so stability of the ASCOM driver and reliability are crucial. My scopes run every clear night and always perform multiple autofocus runs during each nightly imaging session, all unattended. Robofocus has a long track record, but I'm always looking for cheaper alternatives as well.

#7 ldesign1

ldesign1

Viking 1

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

The creator of USB_Focus mostly uses it with FocusMax. And FocusMax works great with MaxIm DL if that's what you use for imaging. There are some screen captures on the website of FocusMax. It can create v-curves of temperature changes and focus positions. You can contact Vincent directly from the main site or through the Google Groups if you have specific questions regarding connection with FocusMax.

#8 John Jennings

John Jennings

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:16 PM

Thanks, I will check it out.

#9 USB_Focus

USB_Focus

Vendor- USB_Focus

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

Hello All,

thank you for your questions related to USB_Focus system.

To answer a few ones, yes many customers use USB_Focus and Focusmax (+imaging software like MaximDL). They perform very well.

About SCT motor bracket I do not supply them. But if you really need one, you will be able to use Robofocus SCT brackets with USB_Focus motor (same dimensions as RF motors).

I will be happy to answer any one email about USB_Focus product.

Best regards
Vincent

#10 USB_Focus

USB_Focus

Vendor- USB_Focus

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

Hello all,

has Ralph suggested several months ago, USB_Focus controller has been upgraded.

- first, I updated the hardware with a new temp probe. It is metal covered, and removable (3.5mm jack) and added a micro switch as suggested

- second, a new installer for the Windows Drivers 32bits and 64bits.

- third, upgraded the OpticalTelescopeManager software to v0.3. It handles the Wi-Fi Smartphone feature. Still beta, but pleasant.
(Make sure your computer and smartphone are connected to the same home network, for instance using a Wi-Fi router. 1.Connect the controller 2.Press 'remote access' 3. Press 'Start' 4.Flash QR code with Smartphone 5. You can play !)

- last but not least, an ASCOM driver called v2.5 (32bits for now, the 64bits will come soon). Mostly tested with Prism, SGPro and MaximDL.

All is available from centralized Website links.

Best regards
Vincent
http://www.usb-foc.us

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics