Stars & Clouds thru IIE at 1X Real-Time Video

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jdbastro

jdbastro

Messenger

• Loc: W. Coast

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

Shot this last night from my driveway under a near full moon and Los Angeles light pollution. Used a 695nm IR long pass filter to reduce sky glow. Frame rate is 60 fps. Camera shutter speed is 1/100 sec, ISO = 400.

Stars & Wispy Clouds thru IIE video Link

Below is a pic of the equipment used. From left to right: Panasonic GH3 camera, Adapter: micro 4/3 to T-mount, 1-inch NV relay lens, ITT 6010 NV Monocular, c-mount adapter, f1.2 27mm (1X) NV lens (c-mount).

Attached Files

#2 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:09 AM

Nice piece of kit and normal lens shots of the Orion region well done but how to escape those beastly contrails ;)

#3 runner70

runner70

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

Coincidentally, yesterday I was thinking of optimizing my Micromonocular: specifically, I'd like to connect my Canon T3 and, possibly, video camera to my NV. Also, does anyone know what adapters might be needed to connect objectives to the monocular's c-mount, and which objectives lend themselves to this application? I would like to know where to obtain a relay to join the Canon to the ocular; since the internet has such a confusion of (mis)information, any guidance- feel free to supply vendors and part numbers- is much appreciated. Thanks for your outstanding advice, jdbastro; I am very satisfied with the gen3 tube fron NVDepot, and while my results donot approach those you have posted, I am seeing things- some from my suburban driveway- that are dazzling!

#4 jdbastro

jdbastro

Messenger

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:26 AM

Coincidentally, yesterday I was thinking of optimizing my Micromonocular: specifically, I'd like to connect my Canon T3 and, possibly, video camera to my NV. Also, does anyone know what adapters might be needed to connect objectives to the monocular's c-mount, and which objectives lend themselves to this application? I would like to know where to obtain a relay to join the Canon to the ocular; since the internet has such a confusion of (mis)information, any guidance- feel free to supply vendors and part numbers- is much appreciated. Thanks for your outstanding advice, jdbastro; I am very satisfied with the gen3 tube fron NVDepot, and while my results donot approach those you have posted, I am seeing things- some from my suburban driveway- that are dazzling!

For connecting a camera to the ocular end (back end) of your Micro Monocular, you will want to go with afocal photography. There is an adaptor that is specifically designed to fit onto the metal eyecup ridge of the Micro's ocular. You simply remove the rubber eyecup and attach the split-ring adapter. This adapter is available from a number of NV vendors including NV Depot.

This link shows you the adapter:

http://tnvc.com/shop...ter-for-pvs-14/

The adapter has a 46mm male thread on the back. Using a camera lens filter step-up or step-down ring, you can couple your camera's lens to this 46mm adapter depending on the filter size of your camera's lens. When using this method, you will get the best results by using as fast a lens as possible on your camera. I recommend no slower than f2, but you can experiment with whatever lenses you have on hand to see how well it works. I suggest a lens focal length for your Canon T3 in the range of 25mm for good FOV coverage.

For objective lenses on the front of the Micro, the cleanest option is to go with 1-inch format c-mount TV lenses. The 1-inch format is getting harder to find these days, but if you look around, you can find good examples by Computer, Fujinon, and Cosmicar / Pentax. Good c-mount focal lengths to consider are: 50mm (2X), 75mm (3X), 150mm (6X).

Or you can get an adapter that converts from c-mount to the lens mount of your choosing (e.g. Canon, Nikon, even T-mount) and mount the c-mount adapter and your desired lens on the front of the Micro. For example this link shows a c-mount to Canon adapter:

http://www.bhphotovi...ens_mount_ad...

The pic below shows an example of a Panasonic GH3 coupled afocally to the Micro Monocular's ocular using the 46mm split-ring adapter described above. The GH3 has a 17.5mm f0.95 Voigtlander micro 4/3rds lens which has a 58mm filter size requiring a 58mm to 46mm step-down ring:

Attached Files

#5 jdbastro

jdbastro

Messenger

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

The pic below shows the 46mm split-ring adapter partially installed on the Micro's ocular.

The slip-ring adapter has a circular channel which fits over the eyecup ridge (aka eyecup retaining ring). The eyecup retaining ring is threaded onto the ocular at the factory and secured with thread locker.

Attached Files

#6 jdbastro

jdbastro

Messenger

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:29 AM

And this shows the split-ring adapter fully installed on the ocular (finger tightening is sufficient):

Attached Files

#7 runner70

runner70

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

Once again, your information is both accurate and exhaustive. I have just placed orders for the pvs 14 adapter and a c mount to EOS lens adapter- your pvs 14 unit is priced $40 less than the one I saw previously- many thanks!

#8 PEterW

PEterW

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:50 AM

Moon really reduced the number of stars visible, usually many more. Pity we don't have that much h alps nebulosity, though a bit did do a good impression of barnards loop. Any good sources of 1" cmount long lenses

Cheers

Peterw

#9 highfnum

highfnum

Vanguard

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:50 AM

Do you have alpha filter to fit in front of lens?

#10 jdbastro

jdbastro

Messenger

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:41 AM

... Any good sources of 1" cmount long lenses

Cheers

Peterw

Actually Fujinon currently makes some high quality 1-inch format c-mount lenses (their CF series).

This is Fujinon's 75mm f1.4 lens

If you want to go longer, Computar once made a 135mm f1.8. You'd probably have to look for this on an auction site.

Here's a pic of the Computar 135mm on a Collins I-cube:

Attached Files

#11 jdbastro

jdbastro

Messenger

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:35 AM

Do you have alpha filter to fit in front of lens?

Yes, although I didn't use it in my video since the sky had poor transparency because of the wispy clouds and all.

Here's a close-up pic of the same 1X NV lens mounted on a PVS-7A/C housing (NV bi-ocular) with a custom filter adapter by Precise Parts and an Astronomik H-alpha filter (1.25 inch):

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics