My Check List

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nmoushon

nmoushon

Vostok 1

• Loc: Stephens City, VA

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

With in the next 12-18 months I am hoping to have my observatory built and my new setup installed. I've been able to choose the more obvious equipement that is needed but need some help on making sure I have the "extras" included on my buy list. I hate starting something to find out I need a new item to make everything work properly. So here's my list so far:

Obsy: ROR Type
Mount: AP900
Scope: C11 EdgeHD
Reducer: ???? Need some suggestions as I found several options
CCD: SBIG 2000XM w/ LRGB
Guide cam: Dual chip from SBIG 2000XM
Software: CCDOps,Maxim,CS5

Thats all I've got so far. My main targets in imaging will be galaxies and PNs. I'm not sure what else I will need as far extra bits and pieces that might seem small but really help in the way of imaging, both for ease and quality. I won't be using this set up for visual use so not interested in those kind of bits.

Feel free to add or suggest anything that would make life easier or improve my imaging.

Thanks,
Nik

#2 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

The question is, which of these items do you already have? There is really only one reducer that is best for the C11HD.

#3 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

For PN's, a narrowband H-alpha filter would be very useful especially from LP sites.

#4 nmoushon

nmoushon

Vostok 1

• Loc: Stephens City, VA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

The only thing on the list that I currently have is the SBIG 2000XM with LRGB filter.

I know that Celestron makes a specific C11HD reducer and it makes sence to use that since it was designed for that scope specifically. But at $700 it feels WAY over priced. I think its Optic Lepus that has designed and tested a specific reducer for the C11HD and its only $300. Why such a dramatic difference in price? I wouldn't think OL would make a reducer that is that much less quality....would it?

Would it be very benificial to get a full narrowband set for PNs? I'm sure some show better in NB than LRGB but not sure what is more common.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics