Photo

Daytime light leaks

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 George9

George9

Messenger

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

I was just reviewing the excellent threads comparing the Mark V to Binotron (thanks to all, especially Eddgie).

Has anyone noticed any light leaks during solar viewing in either one?

I have the Denk II, and I found two leaks. One is due to the sun making its way into the Powerswitch. When you are looking at the sun, it is exactly 90 degrees to the Powerswitch, and it makes it way into a crevice between the two flat halves of the Powerswitch. A small piece of black electrical tape solved that.

The other was the sun actually going through the translucent plastic round covers. That is, the frame is metal, but the prism covers are plastic to keep the weight down. It leads to a dull orange glow off axis if the binoviewers are exposed directly to the sun. I solved it by painting the inside of the covers with flat black paint, using temporary tape to avoid painting any of the mating surfaces. Now I can use the binoviewer in direct sunlight.

The other solution is to use a hood, which I often do, but not always.

I had talked to Russ. He had tested them at nighttime with no consequential leak (I agree), and he uses a hood for solar.

I see that the Binotron is black, so I wonder if that part is solved. Is the Mark V metal or plastic?

(And by the way, one more acknowledgment of Denk service. I dropped my binoveiwers in the first week, and Russ had them back to me fixed--for free--a week later.)

George

#2 TG

TG

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

Mark V is all metal.

#3 George9

George9

Messenger