Tripod Extension for AVX?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 AustinAstronomer

AustinAstronomer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

Is there a tripod extension available that will work with the AVX mount?

Thank you.

#2 AustinAstronomer

AustinAstronomer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

According to Orion's website, their tripod extension fits the CG-5 mount. So, will it fit the AVX mount, too? Anyone here know?

Thank you.

#3 Carl N

Carl N

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:40 PM

No it won't.

#4 AustinAstronomer

AustinAstronomer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

It won't...what? The Orion tripod extension won't fit the CG-5? Or it won't fit the AVX? And how do you know? Have you tried the Orion tripod extension on either of these mounts?

Thank you.

#5 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

It fit's the CG-5, but the alignment peg is in the wrong location for the AVX and there for it is not a direct fit.

Stan

#6 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

Here is the top part of the mount extension:

Posted Image

There are 3 bolt holes to attach the top of the mount extension to the mount extension itself. The holes are orientated such that one is directly opposite the alignment peg and the other two are equally spaced 120 degrees on either side of the end one.

The alignment peg can be removed for fitting the right sized alt-az mount.

The mount sits in the recessed area which is just shy of 2 1/2" in diameter.
The mount is held in place by the screw on the left. This screw is an M10.

Eric

#7 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

Is what you have pictured above for the CG5 or the AVX?

Can you post a side view photo and/or a photo of it in use with whatever mount it is designed for.

Cost, and from where?

Barry Simon

#8 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

Barry, it isn't for any particular mount, it is one of a kind and either fits or doesn't. It fits the cg4 and cg5 and my AT Voyager if I wanted to.

Top part attached to the mount:
Posted Image

Top of bottom part:
Posted Image

Bottom of bottom part:
Posted Image

Blown up view:
Posted Image

On my CG4:
Posted Image

Mount extension $75 from Orion.
Eric

#9 AustinAstronomer

AustinAstronomer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

It fit's the CG-5, but the alignment peg is in the wrong location for the AVX and there for it is not a direct fit.

Stan

So, there is NO WAY the tripod extension will fit the AVX? Sigh.

#10 The Mighty Mo

The Mighty Mo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South of North, North of South, Somewhere on the 3rd Rock

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

I just downloaded the AVX manual and have been comparing the assembly instruction pictures against my CG-5 and SVP extension. If as mentioned above, the only trouble with the extension is that the alignment peg is in the wrong location (being further in to the center than the AVX uses), it appears a good welder/machinist should be able to either fabricate a new peg and bolt on, or weld a small piece to the outside of the existing peg, building it out enough to make it usable with the AVX adjustment bolts. A bit of modification, but it looks doable.

Orion does have a good return policy. So if you decide to get it and then find doesn't bolt up at all to your mount, before you modify anything, they will let you return it.

#11 AustinAstronomer

AustinAstronomer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:42 AM

I think your comments are right on the money. Thank you!

IMHO, Celestron/Synta really dropped the ball if it designed the AVX in such a way that Orion's tripod extension, apparently the only one on the market, can't be used. Query: Why can't Celestron sell a tripod extension?

#12 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

I think your comments are right on the money. Thank you!

IMHO, Celestron/Synta really dropped the ball if it designed the AVX in such a way that Orion's tripod extension, apparently the only one on the market, can't be used. Query: Why can't Celestron sell a tripod extension?

Vixen also makes a 1/2 pillar, but it runs $189.

Stan

http://www.vixenopti...ndiv/25167.html

#13 nodalpoint

nodalpoint

Apollo

• Loc: FEMA camp

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

It's "really dropping the ball" if something doesn't work on another companies accessory that not that many people likely use?

Seems like one of these could be easily built for quite a bit less than the Orion item. A local machine shop could probably do the work if you supplied the materials.

#14 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

I made one from schedule 80 PCV pipe for my CG-5's. Three pieces of PCV, three pieces of threaded rod, and some hardware. Cost just under $20.

Stan

Attached Files

#15 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

The Orion half pier will fit but modifications do need to be made from what I can gather by fitting my AVX head to my CG4 tripod top plate. In both the CG4 and my Celestron/Vixen Super Polaris mount, both of which do work with either the Orion Half Pier or the Vixen Half Pier, the spacing, center to center of the attachment bolt hole and the azimuth positioning holes which line up with the positioning peg is 1 & 5/8". On the AVX mount the center hole at the top of the tripid and bottom of the mount head and the azimuth positioning holes are 2 & 1/4" separation. The half pier itself is just shy of 4" diameter (3.94"). That means that the azimuth adjustment screws would have to engage a pin mounted to the outside of the pier.

Additionally since the top flange of the AVX tripod and the bottom flange of the AVX equatorial head are wider still, the small half pier would not offer a broad base of support. One of the advantages of the AVX over earlier mounts is this broader base of support. You would lose contact area using the smaller diameter half pier.

Finally, regardless of half pier, I think with few exceptions, they are all too tall. The taller they are the more shake and vibration that is introduced. I cut down the piers to approximately half their height for both my SP mount and my Losmandy GM 8 mounts. Less shake and (my opinion) looks better too. SP mount and baby half pier pictured.

Barry Simon

Attached Files

#16 ChrisCharlesJax

ChrisCharlesJax

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Jacksonville, FL

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:27 AM

for those that have been making their own using PVC, how did you construct the top and bottom of these?

#17 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

The pipe I used was threaded and I use a  clean out plug that I threaded into the pipe and I cut out the center part of the cap and sized to fit the bottom of the mount.This is what I used except it was schedule 80 black pipe.

Attached Files

#18 dgross

dgross

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:26 AM

Hi Stan,

Do you happen to have pictures of how you put together your PVC extension?  I'd like to make one for my Vixen Porta II, but I can't tell what your 3 pieces of PVC are or how you attached them to the mount.

Thanks.

#19 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:11 PM

Hi Stan,

Do you happen to have pictures of how you put together your PVC extension?  I'd like to make one for my Vixen Porta II, but I can't tell what your 3 pieces of PVC are or how you attached them to the mount.

Thanks.

Here's some pics of what I used. I just pieced together that hardware from what I had laying around the shop. The PCV is the 2 pieces shown in the last post above screwed together and the center cut out of the cap, and the addition of 1 threaded extension that just slides into the upper piece.

Stan

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics