• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

• Loc: York, England

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

Hello everyone.

Here is a drawing of Jupiter from Sunday night.

Seeing was kind of AntII at the start, but nose dived at about 23:30.
The drawing was made in pastels at the eyepiece. I have got an easel with a white light fixed to it next to my telescope now :)
I used the apodizer on and off throughout the session; It seems to wash out the colours but sharpen detail, so it is a trade off and helps bring out some features, but not if they are just different colours with no real intensity contrast (does that make sense?) So if you are looking for a red oval in a brown / orange belt you might be better off without the apodizer than if you were looking for a white oval in the same belt....

Anyway, I was very taken with the region immediately following the GRS, it looked a bit like the tip of a bird's wing with the flight feathers curving down towards the oval storm. Very beautiful and I could have observed it all night if I hadn't had work in the morning.

Also in the region of the GRS were two tiny dark ovals interacting with the GRS, one proceeding and one following.
I caught these later when the GRS was nearer the CM. They are part of the STB I think, which is very broken and vague.

The SEB proceeding the GRS was also very cool and was making a nice curved shape like a machete or an axe head.

The EZ was particularly striking in the better seeing moments with smoky trails resoling themselves across the zone.

Other interesting bits;

the LRS and its two accompanying barges, not easy to see as I chased them into the murk on the limb.

I didn't see WSZ at all - well I thought I saw it once or twice, but not well enough to actually draw it, that would have been a bit of a leap of averted imagination.

Lastly the fine white marbling in the NTB on the rising hemisphere. I was really pleased with this. I know it is a silly little detail, but that's why I was so pleased to resolve it and get it in the drawing!

Hope you like!

Attached Files

#2 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

Oh yes, one last thing is that my scanner seems to be automatically sharpening the image it acquires, which I can't stop. So I have had to to make several GIMP adjustments to try and get this looking like the page in the my sketchbook.

Oh well!

#3 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

Really nice rendition

Andre

#4 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

Chris, where to start?!? The colors, the ovals, the whole stinkin' SEB...stunning! I think you have a good setup going if you can pull this stuff out at the eyepiece. Really beautiful work.

I love the series of pale rifts in the NEB just north of the GRS.

I also like the hue you are using for the festoons, more of a cool grey. That is how I see it. But I sometime have a challenging time getting the color represented accurately.

#5 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

Oh yes, one last thing is that my scanner seems to be automatically sharpening the image it acquires, which I can't stop. So I have had to to make several GIMP adjustments to try and get this looking like the page in the my sketchbook.

Oh well!

What software do you use to control your scanner, and what scanner are you using?

I have done comparisons of photo vs scanner, and I think I have finally found a happy medium with the settings on my scanner software to come very close to photos taken through a Canon L series telephoto. The photos still seem a tad better in certain areas, but the scanner is just so much easier.

If you can't access your scanner settings then you could try photographing the image. I'm pretty nit-picky about my own drawings, and I gather you may be the same. Truth be told, this image looks great to my eyes.

#6 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

Chris,
This is just wonderful! As Jason says the SEB the colors, the festoons. You have really done a great observation. Such a beautiful sketch to see on this dreary cold night.

Fine work!

Ken

#7 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

Chris,

This is a great sketch of Jupiter.
I really like your capture of those difficult to see white ovals and dark center to the GRS.

Frank :)

#8 astronz59

astronz59

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

Lovely drawing, Marathon Man! Looking forward to seeing some of your Jupiter posts of the forthcoming Jovian moon eclipses. See: http://www.spaceweather.com/ (21/1/14) :refractor::rollgrin: :goodjob:

#9 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:35 PM

Great job, very sharp, good catch on those pesky white ovals.

#10 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

Wonderful skecth of Jupiter!

#11 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:36 AM

Chris you never disappoint. This is a striking piece - particularly the elusive nature if the white ovals in the south a d all that terrific SEB detail.
Nice to see the festoons all prominent as my last time out in the other hemisphere has them competitively subdued and frankly a little peculiar - that and the seeing made it a mess. Here though - classic sweeping festoons with the contrasting grey that defines them. I see also you left the EZ right before it meets the SEB north edge a brighter value and this is something a lot if the visual observers have been reporting. It sets off the SEB well. What's really a fine fine feature are the festoons coming off the SEB north edge - they are short and spike like and I haven't been able to capture them but I believe Norme did at one point. Its truly a contrast/diffraction fine point. I may luck out. Ill cross my fingers.

You've for some sulphur yellow in the north poker region and this concurs with others as well. I've caught the tinges myself the last couple times out as well. Its a refined hue that seperates it in this manner from the south polar region which appears a a cooler grey.

Another fine work - again kudos for capturing the delicate nature of those -bleeped- ovals!

Pete

#12 Heidescoper

Heidescoper

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Niedersachsen, Germany

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:08 AM

hi Chris,

very beautiful and detailed :D!
I like Your art to sketch.

Bye
Christian

#13 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:52 AM

Thanks Jason.

It's an HP Photosmart 5520e, and I am using HPs software that came with it. I still get the same software window if I ask GIMP to create an image from the scanner too.
I think it is possible to use third party scanner software, but I know nothing about it. My old Canon MP190 produced scans which were very similar to the drawing, but it is dead now.

#14 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:00 AM

Pete,
It's the seeing mate. Don't despair, it's a terrible winter in the US / western Europe. We have got another week of (your hand-me-down) driving rain and high winds again now.

The festoons look truncated and stumpy *except* for the moments of good seeing, then all the details resolves itself and you get overwhelmed trying to remember it all well enough to draw it!

#15 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:07 AM

I didn't know this was going to happen again.
In Autumn this year, is that right?

I did observe an eclipse / occultation between 2 Jovian moons in '09, but chose to do a digital sketch of the tiny fuzzy discs (smaller telescope and poor seeing in the small hours of the morning made drawing crisp circular moon discs unrepresentative of what I saw).
I'll dig it out and post it later. I still remember sitting at the scope and watching them; their colour differences were striking even in the rubbish turbulent air.

#16 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:42 AM

gorgeous sketch, you nailed the colours imo!

#17 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:14 AM

Great work! I like the delicate (soft) rendering of your Jupiter sketches.

#18 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

thanks Kris and Jef.

I like to hear my sketches described as delicate, because that's how the planets appear to me.

#19 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

by the way, here is my Jovian moon occultation / eclipse drawing.

I couldn't see much except the relative size and colour of Io and Europa. But it was cool to see how the apparent combined shapes of the moons and their shadows changed.

Attached Files

#20 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

Chris, I'm sorry if I gush, but that Io/Europa occultation has to be the absolute top solar system sketch and observation that I have ever seen! I'm jaw dropped...! :bigshock:

#21 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

Chris,

Nice sketch of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#22 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

thanks but it is a digital sketch - quite simple to do - just a bit of Photoshop really.

I am interested to observe more of these events. Does anyone have a list?

#23 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

I'm saving that one Chris!!!! Excellent progression series. Did you happen to notice Io appearing wider than Europa at the equator?
Also am I seeing a partial eclipse of Europa in the last several frames?
Pete

#24 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

Pete. I did draw Io a bit bigger than Europa so i gjess that must have been how they appeared at the time, but it is a while ago now so I can't actually remember that. Also it was do e with a 200mm scope and only 20 degrees up, the view was very blurry.

Yes the second series is of a partial eclipse between the two moons.

By the way there are links to lists of these events later this year on the space weather website, and on sky and telescope.

#25 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

Chis,

Excellent sketches of Jupiter and the moon eclipses. Beautiful colors on Jupiter. The brownish red in the GRS is interesting. I'll look for this next time I observe the GRS. Good catch on LRS. The EQZ with the festoons look beautiful.

Dean

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics