• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Lee

Dave Lee

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Pinehurst, NC USA

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

I am currently using a 'revived from 10 years of storage' G11 mount. I am (for now) a visual guy and like this mount because it ...

1) Handles a variety of scopes (right now a C11 and Vixen 140mm NeoAcromat, but this could change at any time without a mount change)

2) I am (for now) a starhopper. 75% of my astro enjoyment is "the hunt" and the outstanding PushTo characteristics of the G11 are great for this

I have found that in my (professionally tuned) G11 that there is a RA clutch friction that allows very fine-tuned motion (based on how you push on it) but is still 'firm enough' (for lack of a better term) that it doesn't leave the point at which you left it. Hopefully that is clear.

However in DEC it seems that if things are 'firm enough' that things don't move (like on EP change or maybe RA-intended motion that allows unintended DEC motion) then I can't achieve PushTo DEC motion of less than a degree. It seems that in DEC I need enough friction so that it is quite difficult to achieve motion of less than roughly a degree.

Is this typical for this mount? Or should I maybe be looking into a new DEC clutch pad, additional clutch pad, sandpaper on the existing clutch pad, or ???

Thanks.

dave

#2 Losmandy

Losmandy

Vendor - Losmandy

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

Hello Dave
Has the mounts bearings been cleaned?
If yes, we have clutch pads that have a better push to feel then the Nylon pads.
Scott

#3 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central Ct

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

Is the scope balanced well on both axis?

#4 astrophile

astrophile

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Chaise-lounge, 18x50s in hand...

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

When was the 'professional tuning' done, and just what did they do? Sounds like bearing grease might have gotten to the DEC clutch pad (it happens over time) and you're having to crank down the clutch excessively to keep the friction surfaces from slipping. That would dictate a simple (though a bit time-consuming the first time) dismantling and cleaning job.

#5 Dave Lee

Dave Lee

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

Thanks, Scott. Will probably give that a try.

dave

#6 Dave Lee

Dave Lee

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

When was the 'professional tuning' done, and just what did they do? Sounds like bearing grease might have gotten to the DEC clutch pad (it happens over time) and you're having to crank down the clutch excessively to keep the friction surfaces from slipping. That would dictate a simple (though a bit time-consuming the first time) dismantling and cleaning job.

Will probably follow Scott's advice and change the pads at some convenient time. Thanks.

dave

#7 Dave Lee

Dave Lee

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:38 PM

Is the scope balanced well on both axis?

Yes - as well as I can balance them. I did take some care here.

dave

#8 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:10 AM

It's good to see Scott on here :)

Anyone else amazed when you hear about a 10-15 year old mount still being relevant today?

Chris

#9 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:26 AM

Mine is over 20 years old. Still relevant, too.

#10 Startraffic

Startraffic

Viking 1

• Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.174802

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:20 PM

Chris,
Scott was able to help me out on my HGM-200. IIRC he stopped production in the early to mid '90s. Fantastic mount, great company, outstanding customer service IME

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

#11 Dave Lee

Dave Lee

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

It's good to see Scott on here :)

Anyone else amazed when you hear about a 10-15 year old mount still being relevant today?

Chris

The Losmandy mount(s) are most interesting (and I own one). It (from what I know) started in the 'pushto is king' era. Over the last 20 years advances in tech have moved the world toward 'GoTo is King'.

While the Gemini system had (from what I can view-don't own one) a kind of rough start, it is a most viable system at this point in time (for the GoTo viewer). My view of mounts (as in AP capable)...

1) There are really good mounts that, depending on specs/loads/etc, are at are above 5 figures cost. But they are REALLY good mounts.

2) On an 'out of the box' basis there are mounts that cost half or less of #1 above. But WAY down the road support/etc is iffy and variable. 20 years from now might well not (or might be) a problem.

3) And then you have Losmandy. They came out with a couple of GEM's WAY back when (pushto ERA). And they somehow have managed to keep them relevant to today and I can't imagine any rational observer of their technology and business practices not thinking that 'this is a going to be a really good down the road choice' (assuming that what comes out of the box works for you). After several decades and a couple of technology changes, you tend to view this as a trend.

If you can afford a bunch more you can acquire a better mount. And there are a very few good offerings at price points similar to Losmandy. But if you view history and current actions as an important indicator of what you might encounter in the future, Losmandy would seem to me to be a MOST rational choice. And a most rare kind of product history in my mind.

dave

ps. I would make one caveat to the comments above. The Losmandy offering are best 'tuned' to folks who are willing to do the automotive equivalant of 'changing your own point/plugs/oil' (he said revealing the fact that I am old). There are services available out there at reasonable prices, but I would not view the Losmandy mounts as 'the equivalent of a refrigerator' (plug it in and replace it 25 years later). I find this most reasonable, BTW.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics