New Offerings at Astro-video

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

I do not own any products from Astro-Video but I am very happy to see him updating his website with new products, see here Astro-Video I have not seen anything in the vendors forum, so I thought it would be thought provoking to take a look at the line-up of products. Immediately off the bat I notice the $99 introductory camera, obviously a return-serve from the recently introduced Mallincam Micro. Hurray for competition!! Certainly we are seeing more and faster innovation... imagine if there were another two or three astronomy video camera vendors out there!

I am patiently waiting for a high resolution, next generation digital video camera, with true 1080i type resolution!! At this rate I think we may see such a camera in the next year perhaps!? :jump:

Al

#2 Chris A

Chris A

Vendor Affiliate - Mallincam

• -----
  • Vendor Affiliate
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:13 PM

deleted by moderator

#3 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

Hi Chris, Yes I know the MC Universe, but I sort of look at it as a more traditional CCD camera... Although I know you can get great images without filters or darks or any post processing... Certainly worth considering... But with the rapid fire new product Rock is rolling out, maybe he will soon have an even higher resolution MC Universe out soon!

Al

#4 Chris A

Chris A

• -----
  • Vendor Affiliate

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

Yes Rock is always on the ball and thinking of the next new device. He is so many steps ahead of us.

Chris

#5 Lorence

Lorence

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

But with the rapid fire new product Rock is rolling out, maybe he will soon have an even higher resolution MC Universe out soon!

What sort of resolution are you looking for? With a typical 1920 x 1080 monitor you can only view about 1/4 of a full resolution Universe image. To view one you would need a 4K monitor and a graphics card that will display that resolution.

http://www.engadget....nch-4k-display/

http://www.legitrevi...on-r9-290x-a...

Not to mention a PC with the processing power to run that resolution. Likely a little more power than the average hand me down PC/laptop most use when observing.

It will be a while before 4K is mainstream and a bit longer before a higher resolution standard replaces it.

As it is a 2x2 bin Universe image is a big improvement over the video cameras. There are a lot of full sized Universe images on file on the Mallincam Yahoo group. Take a look over there, you won't see that resolution here.

I have never seen a 4K image but can imagine it will rival a National Geographic photograph. For live viewing do you need more than that?

I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for a higher resolution live or near live viewing camera especially at a price at or below the Universe. What I would like to see is that level of resolution but with the sensitivity of an Xtreme.

#6 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

Somehow I feel people treat this forum as a chat room.
The OP was talking about the new offerings from vendor A.
The he mentioned HD version (I presume it's 1080i type of HD video) would be nice.
The latter opened up an avenue for distraction.

So after that, we heard about the 6Mpixel astroCCD (with high gain/lower depth but fast readout) from another vendor.
Then a post abut that vendor's.
Then there is another topic on 4K video system.

Well, at least there is no direct debate on various vendors' approaches, for which I am grateful.
For a new comer just joined without a clue, he/she must have felt this is a strange board.

My 2 cents observation :) :)

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#7 RichardHC

RichardHC

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Australian Riverland

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

I agree about the subject being changed but I'm not sure the comment about the post referring to 4K TV was fair - my reading is that the point he was making is that the MCU is not really a video camera.

Personally I think there's a lot of convergence occurring between video astronomy cameras and USB CCD cameras, especially colour CCDs, as both can be used for near real-time observation - the video cameras by virtue of their internal processing and USB CCDs because of software now available. Take a look at the superb results nytecam has been getting out of his Lodestar-C with processing that can be done in under half a minute.

USB CCDs have an inherent advantage here as they export images with more bit-depth than video and, IMO, they may be the way of the future.

#8 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:08 AM

The OP mentioned this-I am patiently waiting for a high resolution, next generation digital video camera, with true 1080i type resolution!! At this rate I think we may see such a camera in the next year perhaps!?

And the Universe certainly matches the question.....so maybe it's not so far out of topic.

The MCU Does do live images, it is certainly not its best feature, but it does do live.

ANY new camera is always welcome here......and tips on how people take/process their images does nothing but advance the community.

Andy

#9 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Vanguard

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:06 AM

Post deleted by csa/montana

#10 MawkHawk

MawkHawk

Messenger

• Loc: SE Michigan, USA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

Back to the OP's original topic, I'd love to see some images from someone who has one these A-V "entry level" cameras. Does anyone know how it does with planets / moon? He's calling it the "DSO-1" so I'm wondering if it is geared toward DSOs and maybe not great with planets.

Also, I see that he's added some pics to show what is meant by the camera fitting in a 2" focuser. I couldn't really understand that without some pics. Looks very cool. It actually fits in the focuser like a 2" eyepiece.

#11 pdfermat

pdfermat

Apollo

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

Back to the OP's original topic, I'd love to see some images from someone who has one these A-V "entry level" cameras...

I wholeheartedly agree. If I had more money to throw around here, I'd love to buy one of these just to post some "public service" images for everyone to see. I've had a hard time tracking down images with many of these cams, and when I am able to, they are almost always the "showpiece" objects. I am very interested to see how some of the latest video offerings do with the more obscure ngc-type objects.

#12 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

Back to the OP's original topic, I'd love to see some images from someone who has one these A-V "entry level" cameras. Does anyone know how it does with planets / moon? He's calling it the "DSO-1" so I'm wondering if it is geared toward DSOs and maybe not great with planets.

Video cameras have traditionally been used on solar system objects before going the DSO route because of sensitivity (most commercial video cameras were initially designed for daytime security work, and didn't have the extra sensitivity for night time use). There have been lots of great solar system images taken with various video cameras. While they do a good job the current crop of astronomy oriented video cameras aren't specifically optimized for solar system work ... that's already a fairly crowded market segment. If someone was only looking at doing solar system imaging there are better choices (price/resolution wise) than a video camera.

That said, most video cameras with the latest sensors (like the great Sony 960h models) seem to do a very good job on solar system objects, the limiting factor is usually the current crop of USB frame grabbers required to view the video stream on a PC. You so also need to be able to control the gain in the camera. Many of the commercial security cameras with totally automated gain circuitry tend to not handle the very small size of the planets at the sensor ... there's not enough of the brighter part of the image (the planet) for the camera's circuitry to work with. With our eyes we do a better job judging the required brightness of the very small objects. The astronomy oriented video cameras have the required manual controls.

There were some nice lunar and planetary images taken with the LN300 cameras when they were first posted about here on CN. There have also been some great images taken with the Mallincam Micro (a similar camera). I'm looking forward to seeing more solar system images taken with Matt's cameras (especially when a 960h capable frame grabber is used).

#13 Lorence

Lorence

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:01 PM

Somehow I feel people treat this forum as a chat room.
The OP was talking about the new offerings from vendor A.
The he mentioned HD version (I presume it's 1080i type of HD video) would be nice.
The latter opened up an avenue for distraction.

So after that, we heard about the 6Mpixel astroCCD (with high gain/lower depth but fast readout) from another vendor.
Then a post abut that vendor's.
Then there is another topic on 4K video system.

Well, at least there is no direct debate on various vendors' approaches, for which I am grateful.
For a new comer just joined without a clue, he/she must have felt this is a strange board.

My 2 cents observation :) :)

ccs_hello

Quote from the OP "But with the rapid fire new product Rock is rolling out, maybe he will soon have an even higher resolution MC Universe out soon!"

His thread. His topic. He opened it up.

Try reading the reference to 4K and how it applies to the type of monitors most use then tell us how to view a full resolution Universe image at a 1 to 1 image/display ratio.

The newbie to the board will just assume that like every other board there is someone who will complain if the topic drifts 1 mm off course.

Pay to the order of ccs_hello $0.02

#14 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

Lorence,

OP means the original post, the first one.
The 2nd post took the first detour.
Then the original poster responded on the 2nd post to mention MCU, to further detour.
Then the trend continues ...

I am simply reporting my own observation on this strange thread as my 2 cents value.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#15 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:52 PM

Ok, speaking of the OP; let's get back to the subject please.

#16 Chris A

Chris A

• -----
  • Vendor Affiliate

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:32 AM

It simply amazes me how we can turn a simple discussion into another unnecessary drawn out debate. Posts like this is why we never tend to get beyond certain topics.

Chris

#17 mattflastro

mattflastro

Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

• -----
  • Loc: Brevard County , FL

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:03 AM

Post deleted by csa/montana

#18 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Vanguard

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:41 AM

I've had a hard time tracking down images with many of these cams, and when I am able to, they are almost always the "showpiece" objects. I am very interested to see how some of the latest video offerings do with the more obscure ngc-type objects.

I see your point.
I went and checked in the Video Gallery to find you some obscure objects, but you are correct, they are mostly the 'showpiece' common objects.

How about some I have screen grabbed of obscure objects with 3 different brands of cameras: (no post-processing, single screen grabs)

Super faint Galaxies in Abell 1060 in Hydra HERE

Super faint Galaxies in Abell 1367 in Leo HERE

Ringtail Galaxies in Corvus HERE

Spiral Planetary Nebula in Musca HERE

DY Crucis Variable Carbon Star and the rarely seen tiny companion star Beta Crucis 'B' in Crux HERE

#19 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

Matt,

Nice image. What capture device was being used?

#20 mattflastro

mattflastro

Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

• -----
  • Loc: Brevard County , FL

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:25 AM

Matt,

Thank you Mark, it was an el cheapo EZCap .

#21 pdfermat

pdfermat

Apollo

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

Matt,

Where's the image?

#22 MawkHawk

MawkHawk

Messenger

• Loc: SE Michigan, USA

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

Must have been in his deleted post...

#23 Chris A

Chris A

• -----
  • Vendor Affiliate

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

I think vendors are not allowed to post their images here? I would have liked to have seen it also.

#24 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

Let's move on, please.

#25 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:20 PM

Let's move on, please.