• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nirvanix

nirvanix

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saskatoon, SK

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

Just playing around with Calsky and it looks about midnight CST (06 UT) one of the moons (I think Europa) will be casting its shadow into the heart of the GRS, and the GRS will be well positioned to see the action. Can anyone else confirm this? If so, gentlemen start your telescopes! :p

#2 C_Moon

C_Moon

Apollo

• Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

Just playing around with Calsky and it looks about midnight CST (06 UT) one of the moons (I think Europa) will be casting its shadow into the heart of the GRS, and the GRS will be well positioned to see the action. Can anyone else confirm this? If so, gentlemen start your telescopes! :p

I agree, Europa shadow transit near the GRS at 06UT Jan 23 2014. Thanks for calling attention to it!

#3 Pezdragon

Pezdragon

Explorer 1

• Loc: Bay Area, Ca.

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:07 AM

Just viewed the"eye" with my 4" refractor and the pupil (shadow) is centered rather well....I think this is the first time I've seen this! Really cool in a Dali/ Picasso kind of way.....Rod

#4 nirvanix

nirvanix

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saskatoon, SK

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:52 AM

Yeh, I just came in, watched it for 45 minutes, albeit the seeing wasn't so great. Amazing how Europa's shadow tracked right along with the GRS for so long. It was just a little bit faster than the GRS, and as I write this it's advancing out of the "eye". Picasso is a nice analogy!

#5 GreatBear

GreatBear

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

Yes, I observed this last night - I started a new thread because I didn't recognize the topic here, otherwise I would have responded to this thread. It did indeed look like the "Eye of Sauron" - or maybe Zeus on a heroin overdose!

#6 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

Nirvanix,

Thanks for the heads up on this. It helped me knowing the time of the event.

Dean

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics