wow - bright supernova in Cigar gxy

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:45 PM

Quick grab shot through cloud gaps tonight of mag 11.7 SN [candidate] in M82 - my favourite gxy :jump: Give it a go :grin:

Posted Image

#2 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

Great shot! Maurice, could you give it a go a F10 or higher magnification?

Al

#3 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

Nice shot! I guess the fainter star just below the SN is a foreground star.

Only clouds tonight so... :(

#4 ngchunter

ngchunter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sarasota, FL

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

Nice shot! I love the color. I streamed some video of it last night with a MCHP and 8" LX200, but the color was much more washed out.
https://www.youtube....h?v=48xJBO9Fbr0

#5 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

Thanks Starstuff and NGChunter for your interest - keep observing - this SN could be a 'winner' :o

Great shot! Maurice, could you give it a go a F10 or higher magnification? Al

Hi Al - swapping out the cam for other configuration is a non-trivial matter. :o However yesterday the Lodestar removed from scope for first time in 9 months to play with AstroArt v Starlight Xpress s/ware in lounge imaging via 8mm fl Computar lens with interesting results.

However the cam was back on the scope when I got news of the new SN 2014J and a clear dusk beckoned! I've 'downed' the scope's nominal f/10 f/ratio from f/2.8 to a moderate f/3.3 with excellent results above. My 2sec goto framegrab of M82 below - no darks/flats/sharpening etc - just a linear contrast stretch. This SN is so bright even briefer exposures should record it ;)

Attached Files

#6 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

Again through cloud gaps butearlier than last night so somewhat lower down in sky. SN2014J is bright - here's test in 1s/ 1/10s/ 1/20s and 1/50s :grin:

Attached Files

#7 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

Here's tonight's pretty in 30s exp via Lodestar-C :grin:

Just realised from BBC News tonight that the supernova was discovered by local UCL students lead by Dr Steve Fossey here :bow:

Attached Files

#8 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

Maurice, thanks for those shots! Single digits F here this week and mostly cloudy, snowing. January is going down in the record books as the coldest January on record in the USA (over 100yrs!!).

Will you run a spectrum? I really liked what you did on the Delphinus nova from last year... This summer I am going to try out Spectroscopy I think.

Al

#9 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

Hi Al - didn't appreciate your cold severe weather continues - it's fallen off the BBC News. We've had >8" rain from Dec 11 - Jan 11 eg more that the normal 3 month of winter but unseasonably mild and sunny during day with temps in upper 40sF - plants are shooting and shrubs flowering and the woodpidgeons and robins etc looking for nest sites !

Yes may give the supernova a spectral once-over - good luck with your project :grin:

#10 highfnum

highfnum

Vanguard

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

nice work
good job by some students that found it

#11 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

nice work
good job by some students that found it

Jon - I think that pro Steve Fossey was generous with the collective discovery in Mill Hill Obsy on SN in M82 when reading their confusion at Steve's excitement at the scope as the discovery images downloaded! What a boost for those students - who wouldn't want to be an astronomer under those memorable circumstances ...and great PR for UCL -what a story - everyone's a winner :grin:

#12 skyguy88

skyguy88

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:29 AM

I'm amazed that it wasn't spotted earlier. I was checking out a frame grabber on my Mallincam Hyper Plus / C8 on the 20th and took three 14 second frames of M82. The galaxy was right on my roofline and the images are pathetic but the SN stands out prominently.

If I have it almost a day before the discovery, someone must have captured it a few days earlier. It was already very bright on the 20th.

Bill

#13 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:03 AM

I'm amazed that it wasn't spotted earlier. I was checking out a frame grabber on my Mallincam Hyper Plus / C8 on the 20th and took three 14 second frames of M82. The galaxy was right on my roofline and the images are pathetic but the SN stands out prominently. [/list]
If I have it almost a day before the discovery, someone must have captured it a few days earlier. It was already very bright on the 20th.

Bill

A SN's rise from obscurity is very rapid and (as a SN hunter) I'd not of placed this peculiar gxy my list ...add indifferent weather and it can get missed:-)

BTW - the discovery may not be the person who images it first but the first person who registers it with the IAU even with someone else's image...so always check your images BEFORE posting otherwise you can loose out :-)

#14 Relativist

Relativist

Skylab

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

It would be nice if there were an automated compare in some of the more popular viewing software where one could compare earlier images of galaxies automatically. Even if they simply flashed images back and forth so that a person could do the compare using their innate pattern recognition that would help as well.

#15 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

It would be nice if there were an automated compare in some of the more popular viewing software where one could compare earlier images of galaxies automatically. Even if they simply flashed images back and forth so that a person could do the compare using their innate pattern recognition that would help as well.

CCDStack2 does that. I think Maxim/DL does also.

#16 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Vanguard

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:23 AM

Have a read here Curtis :) http://rogergroom.co...rnova-search...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics