18 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

I expect to take a trip to the Mojave Desert in the next few months, and I wanted a small mount I could use for imaging with my 600mm FL refractor. After waffling between the AVX and the iOptron Z-25, and reading everything I could find about both, some mental switch flipped and I ordered the AVX on Sunday night. It arrived today. It's my first goto mount.

So far the mount seems to know what it's doing after an indoor alignment. Right now it thinks it's tracking M42. The only surprise I've encountered is that I can hear the RA motor as it tracks. It buzzes and mutters to itself a little bit.

It's clearish outside right now, but also below zero, at least 20 degrees too cold for me to observe. It may be some time before I can really evaluate the mount. When I do I will post a fairly elaborate review on my web site.

#2 Mr Greybush

Mr Greybush

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

The "buzzz" you hear is normal. The mounts twin the cg5 is called the "coffee grinder" enjoy the mount don't worry about the buzz. :)

#3 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

Funny enough you mention that. My coffee grinder makes the same sound! No wonder it sounded familiar. :-)

#4 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:34 AM

I took the coffee out of mine. They went from 70 dbs at full slew to 45 dbs.

Stan

#5 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: 16 miles south of the Buckfield Mall

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:21 AM

Joe, keep us posted. I'm comparing the same two mounts now and hope to make a choice soon. I'm leaning toward the AVX as it seems to require less tinkering out of the box than the Z-25. Enjoy your new toy!
Be Well
Grey

#6 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:17 AM

With the new firmwares the CG5 is actally quieted down a bit. AVX seems loud only because in the dead of night everything sounds loud.

#7 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:47 AM

Joe, keep us posted. I'm comparing the same two mounts now and hope to make a choice soon. I'm leaning toward the AVX as it seems to require less tinkering out of the box than the Z-25.

That's my impression as well. The Z is an interesting mount, but the AVX seems like a more mature system. It has had a lot longer to evolve from its more primitive ancestors.

#8 Mr Greybush

Mr Greybush

Viking 1

• Moderators

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

That's my impression as well. The Z is an interesting mount, but the AVX seems like a more mature system. It has had a lot longer to evolve from its more primitive ancestors.

I'm not sure what you mean by "primitive" please elaborate?

#9 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

I mean earlier, less sophisticated ancestors like the CG5, of course.

#10 Mr Greybush

Mr Greybush

Viking 1

• Moderators

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:21 PM

IMHO I would not call a CG5 primitive nor ancient because it is a very good mount for anyone to use both visually or for AP. The AVX and CG5 are the exact same mount just updated electronics in the AVX. Calling the CG5 ancient when a mount that isn't a year old yet that has the same insides -electronics doesn't call it ancient yet maybe in 10 years but in 10 years when I'm still using a cg5 and the avx has been updated again but it still will be a cg5 mount in the heart unless they come up with some new fancy type of mount which is the ze

#11 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

Please, I said "more primitive", not "primitive". Nor did I ever use the word "ancient". I am not comparing your beloved mount to stone knives and bearskins. Sheesh. But it is incorrect to claim that the CG5 is "the exact same mount except for the electronics". A glance at the two reveals many physical differences. The castings alone are quite different.

#12 RealSorin

RealSorin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

As someone who uses a CG5 for AP, I continue to be ever so slightly tempted by the lure of the AVX. What experience I've had with them has left me with the clear impression that they are indeed a very nice evolution of the CG5.

#13 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

A minor issue I've discovered: my imaging load is only about 10 pounds. That puts the big stock counterweight about a third of the way down the shaft. With the mount set for low latitudes (e.g. the 25 degrees of the Winter Star Party), the weight fouls the front altitude adjuster screw. Solution: use a couple of lighter weights I have laying around that will ride lower.

Controlling the mount with my Mac using Sky Safari is a fun, futuristic experience (even if I'm only pretending to do astronomy from indoors).

The iOptron Z mount is also very appealing, as well as innovative. I might easily have gone that way if I could have gotten one as quickly as I could the AVX.

#14 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

My imaging setup (minus a few cables) languishing indoors. I am intensely curious to see how this mount actually performs, as I hope to discover in about a month.

Attached Files

#15 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

I learned that the polar scope I bought years ago for my Orion Skyview Pro mount also fits in the AVX. Not too surprising. It also prevents the polar scope cover from threading on. I don't know if the scope sold for this mount by Celestron has the same effect. I removed the scope from my AVX as I don't expect to ever need it, thanks to the vaunted magic of All-Star Polar Alignment.

Attached Files

#16 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:59 PM

I learned that the polar scope I bought years ago for my Orion Skyview Pro mount also fits in the AVX. Not too surprising. It also prevents the polar scope cover from threading on. I don't know if the scope sold for this mount by Celestron has the same effect. I removed the scope from my AVX as I don't expect to ever need it, thanks to the vaunted magic of All-Star Polar Alignment.

On the polar scope that Celestron sells, the back cover will screw on. On yours the shiny aluminum ring is hiding the threads at the rear of the casting for the RA axis. Remove the aluminum ring from the polar scope and you will be able to use the cover.

I do disagree with you about the polar scope having no utility because of the All Star Polar Alignment. What the 2 + 4 alignment does is it compensates for the off-set from the pole by in essence resetting the memory of the system to it's current positioning. Ok if you will be going from object to object, but if you want to guide some photos and in particular if you are doing visual guiding and your individual exposures are beyond a few minutes, a fairly decent polar alignment will serve you better than just a "rough" polar alignment.

How so? Wit an accurate polar alignment you have no doubt read countless of times that you will not have to guide out any declination drift. Your corrections will all be (or virtually all be) in RA where you will be guiding out periodic error (or possibly compensating for RA movement which is not quite at the right speed (very small) but measurable over time. So with good basic polar alignment using a polar scope first you will be even more accurately pointed and the need to make declination corrections will be largely reduced.

Barry Simon

#17 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

I don't think so. All-Star Polar alignment is an actual polar alignment procedure. It guides you to adjusting the actual altitude and azimuth of the mount to achieve a more accurate polar alignment. It is not the same thing as a star alignment for go-toing. It is not the 2+4 alignment.

#18 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

As for the polar scope...yes. My eyeball vision did reveal to me that the aluminum ring covered the threads. I was less mystified by that than you might suspect.

#19 nodalpoint

nodalpoint

Apollo

• Loc: FEMA camp

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:09 PM

I don't think so. All-Star Polar alignment is an actual polar alignment procedure. It guides you to adjusting the actual altitude and azimuth of the mount to achieve a more accurate polar alignment. It is not the same thing as a star alignment for go-toing. It is not the 2+4 alignment.

Agree 100%. Getting the mount close by bore-sighting Polaris through the mount when starting certainly makes the initial alignment and ASPA easier, but ASPA is an excellent polar alignment routine and a polar scope is not needed at all.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics