CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASCOM and Sky Commanders not working in Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:47 PM

I recently acquired a Toshiba laptop for astronomy related purposes, one of which is to interface it with my Sky Commander DSC's. However, after installing the most recent ASCOM platform, a Sky Commander driver and the driver for the USB to serial port adapter cable, I get a message stating the driver will not work in a 64-bit environment. This is a minor problem at this point, given that I was using the Deep Sky planetarium package developed by Steve Tuma and Dean Williams, which I mainly use to plan my observations and keep observing logs. I am planning on acquiring either MegaStar or Sky Tools for the purpose of interfacing with the Sky Commanders. The question I have is this, are there 64-bit drivers available to enable a laptop to communicate with DSC's? It not, would other programs such as Megastar communicate with DSC's while running in a Windows 8 laptop? The computer in question is a Toshiba Satellite dual AMD processor model.

Taras

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics