Photo

Dilemma: Atlas Pro on order but a complication...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mostlystardust

Mostlystardust

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:48 AM

So I ordered an Atlas Pro as after a lot of research it appealed for all the reasons stated here and elsewhere, however now that I've decided on a C11 Edge I have the choice of getting it with a CGEM or CGEM DX as part of a package which would save cash as opposed to buying the OTA & mount from separate brands. Here's a paste I just left on the thread I was working with on Cats & Casses... if anyone has any experience with the DX or think it's best to adopt option 1 or 3 then please let me know.... thanks, Kevin.

I have yet another first world problem now that I'm set on the C11 Edge. I just realized that by buying the differently branded mount and OTA separately I'm being very inefficient in terms of capturing best value for money.

The Atlas PRO mount I have on order appeals as it is dual AZ/EQ and the youtube footage suggests the sound is very nice whereas the Celestron models (I assume CGEM DX) sounded louder/harsh, but that's hard to tell and maybe it was at different motor speeds (I have neighbors and in any case prefer quieter operation). I am also comfortable with the very consistently good reviews that the Atlas gets, and I assume the PRO model is even better with 44lb instead of 40lbs capacity and other good extra features.

I can cancel the order for the Atlas PRO ($2000) as it's not available until Feb 19, and either get the CGEM DX model that comes packaged with the C11 for an additional $1000 over the cost of the OTA alone (saving $1000). Or I can keep the Atlas Pro and get the Edge with the smaller CGEM package which is effectively $600 extra over the cost of the OTA (the CGEM mount is $1400 as a standalone buy). At that point I either have a second mount for visual while I'm imaging at some point in the future, or I can sell the CGEM mount somewhere between the $600 effective cost and $1400 retail cost area. Overly complicated? - you bet...

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

Option 1 - keep Atlas Pro on order, buy OTA, total $5400
Option 2 - Buy C11 with CGEM DX - $4400 so saves $1000 over plan above.
option 3 - buy C11 with CGEM, keep Atlas Pro - costs $6000 but I could either sell the CGEM or keep it for flexibility.

The DX has a little bit extra claimed capacity than the Atlas.... I think I'll have to explain this dilemma to the mount forum, my brain is starting to hurt...

#2 Mike X.

Mike X.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

The extra capacity of the dx over the simple Cgem or the atlas is due to the tripod I guess as the dx head is virtually identical to the normal Cgem ( counterweight bar excluded).
So it's all up to what you wish to do I guess.
I got an azeq6 pro ( which is the atlas pro in white) and that or the Cgem are the maximum I would consider portable for example.If you wish to move the mount for under a dark sky probably the dx could be a ...beast to bring along...

If not it could be a nice option indeed, specially for visual...
For astrophotography I would prefer the atlas or the atlas pro...and if in the future I wanted some extra stability a pier or a heavier tripod is always easy to add it ;)

I hope I've been of help,

#3 Mostlystardust

Mostlystardust

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

Thanks Mike. Do you happen to know if it's straight forward to fit the azeq6 (Atlas Pro) head on the DX tripod?

#4 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

A good friend of mine just received an Edge 11", and DX combo. Forwarning you, the mount/tripod is very heavy, and the saddleplate it high also.

Im 6"5" once the OTA is mounted, even with my height, a person of smaller stature will need a solid step or 2 to observe objects at lower altitude.

That being said, its a nice combo, and other than the counterweight shaft and weights, the head itself is identical (assuming you a buying new).

If AP is in your future, you need to look at a good focal reducer to get in the f5 neighborhood.

I hope this helps!

Andy

#5 Mr Greybush

Mr Greybush

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

You could get the CGEM DX save the tripod for later when you buy a CGE then you'll save a $1000 because they both use the same tripod. That is what I plan to do (just don't tell the CEO(aka the wife) :lol:

#6 Mostlystardust

Mostlystardust

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:37 PM

Thanks Andy - yeah I intend getting the Hyperstar option at some point to take F/2 'snapshots'.

But I want to keep enough flexibilty in general - I'm really set on getting the Atlas Pro although the CGEM would be fine I'm sure, but I'm stubborn when I've made up my mind... (I have a few reasons of course). Thing is that getting the Edge 11" OTA separately is $3.4k, but bundled with a cgem or dx mount it's 'only' another 600 or 1,000 bucks more respectively (so half price or less v's retail on the separate mounts).

I don't necessarily need an extra mount right now but it would help in the future I'm sure. I could get a spreader for the Atlas Pro but that's $250 so it makes the DX mount 'only' cost an incremental $750 should I want a very stable setup if you see what I mean - that's my dilemma - is it best to get the DX mount for an incremental $750 - if so I'm wondering if the Atlas mount needs adaptors to fit onto the DX tripod?? And I could use the Atlas tripod to work with the CGEM mount so I'd be able to pick and choose mount weight scenarios based on what I'm doing or travelling..

I kinda like the fact that the scope would be high up (I'm 6'1") with the DX - at least when you want it that way.

Worst case scenario I get the DX setup with the C11 for an incremental $1k over the OTA alone, and if it's not a match I offload the mount for somewhere just north of $1k plus shipping I guess... (it's $2k retail)..

#7 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:00 AM

I would wait if I were you. Celestron frequently has sales. I bought my CGEM 1100HD for $3,450. That made the CGEM a whopping $100 over the normal price of just the OTA alone.

Also one thing to consider about the Atlas is that it's motors do not have the 8/3 harmonic issue that some of the CGEM mounts seem the be afflicted with. Something to consider since you plan to do AP.

#8 Mike X.

Mike X.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

Thanks Mike. Do you happen to know if it's straight forward to fit the azeq6 (Atlas Pro) head on the DX tripod?

Anytime ,unfortunatelly I don't know if it fits or not on a dx tripod.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics