• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#1 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:20 AM

I would like to use this thread to know ZEQ25GT little better, primarily for astrophotography use. Here is a look at the mount:

Note:
2" Tripod pics to follow soon as it is little late in arriving due to UPS weather woes.

Details of its counterpart to be... AT65EDQ here...
On a side note, some image processing instructions here...

Attached Files

#2 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:21 AM

1. Packaging

Attached Files

#3 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors

2. Packaging

Attached Files

#4 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors

3. The mount

Attached Files

#5 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:22 AM

4. Ports

Attached Files

#6 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:22 AM

5. Power

Attached Files

#7 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:23 AM

6. Cables, etc.

Attached Files

#8 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors

7. DEC

Attached Files

#9 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors

8. Saddle

Attached Files

#10 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:24 AM

9. Polar scope

Attached Files

#11 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:24 AM

10. Z

Attached Files

#12 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 16 miles south of the Buckfield Mall

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:32 AM

Just when I thought I was set to make the decision as to AVX or Z25 you have to start another of your excellent reviews. " Curse you Red Baron!" Seriously this couldn't have been timed better for me, thank you! Nice touch adding the quarter for scale, or does it come packed with a fist full of quarters. :grin:
Be Well
Grey

#13 nine44

nine44

Ranger 4

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

The adjustability of this mount is mostly a real positive. The ability to adjust the worm mesh to fine tune backlash is especially nice (fun to play with it while you're guiding). I also like the fact that you can adjust the positioning of the counterweight bar--makes getting everything balanced easier. With adjustability comes some complication and while the mount is superbly designed and manufactured, the assembly leaves many of these mounts in need of a little attention upon arrival. I nearly sent mine back for backlash and the ring gear ratcheting off the worm. Then I found Paul Chasse's (Astroweb) tuning videos and have fallen in love with the mount.

One MAJOR advantage over the AVX is the bearings in both RA and DEC. I was always fighting the AVX's stiction in DEC (no bearing in DEC). Of course, if you have PERFECT PA, then DEC stiction shouldn't be an issue--just turn off DEC guiding. But my experience was that I was never able to get PA accurate enough to turn off DEC guiding.

Speaking of bearings--the bearings on this mount are SO smooth and free. It can make you obsessive about balance. Just a few grams of force will getting it turning. It's like a perpetual motion machine when balanced. I always suspected that the tight axes of the AVX were hidding some pretty serious balance issues, and it turns out to be true. I can now dial it in and then apply a small, intentional imbalance for AP. It's no longer a mystery.

The polar scope is also very nice in that it is illuminated (I haven't had any trouble with the led) and is always available (don't have to swing the DEC 90 degrees) due to the design of the mount. Haven't got to use my mount too much yet, but PA seems pretty accurate with the scope.

The fact that this mount is lighter than the AVX is a plus, as well. I have the 2" legs and it is very sturdy. At least as sturdy as my AVX.

I find that adjusting the ALT and AZ on the ZEQ is much easier than the AVX. It was always difficult for me to move the AVX axes with fine enough precision. And then, when I tried to tighten the axes down, the position would always move.

I do miss Celestron's ASPA rountine and the intuitive handset. iOptron comes in second in this regard. But the excellent polar scope makes up for most of that negative.

I do like the ZEQ's saddle--it is a spring assisted friction clamp and does not mar your dovetail the way the AVX's set screws did.

iOptron's customer support is VERY good. When I had an issue with my AVX, I got the phone que for 20 minutes, then a 1st level tech, then finally someone who could help, then a bunch of questions, then an RA number so they could "look at it" and the guidance that I would hear back within 30 days WHETHER it was a warranty repair. In the meantime they had no way to send me a loaner to stay imaging. When my ZEQ arrived with a bad power supply, my email was answered within minutes (on a Saturday) and the fellow asked for my address, said he could send a replacement from one of the mounts they had on the floor, "ran down to the post office" minutes later to get it in the mail before the PO closed and before an imminent winter storm hit. I received it two days later. iOptron clearly empowers it's people to serve.

A few things I've learned:
1. Paul Chasse's tuning videos are VERY helpful and very necessary until the factory gets consistent assembly lined out.
2. to focus the reticle on the PS, simply use finger friction to spin the eyepiece to focus.
3. I applied a little grease to the ALT lock bolt threads. This allows a little more clamping pressure on the ALT lock (I found it slipped a little without it).
4. The rubber hand wheel on the main mount bolt has a set screw that is supposed to sink into a hole in the shaft. Mine had been shipped with this set screw pressed against the shaft--allowing it to slip.
5. The motors in this mount are prone to a phenomenon characterized variously as "crosstalk" or a "fax machine" or "R2D2" sound. I have seen little evidence that it impacts guiding or operation. Paul has posted a tune for this as well, but the fix had only a mild effect on my mount.
6. When you receive your legs, be sure to move the AZ post over one of the tripod legs--this allows much easier access to the polar scope in the northern hemisphere. If you don't, it will look like you are getting friendly with the tripod leg when all you are trying to do is align your mount.
7. iOptron uses third party power supplies and probably should design and spec their own. The variation in quality from third party vendors puts iOptron at risk for issues in the single most important link in the product--a reliable and consistent supply of power.
8. GPS lock will happen faster when you are outside and when you turn the RA axis 90 degrees for a few minutes. This allows the GPS chip to be better "illuminated" by the satellite signals.

Hope this helps!

#14 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 16 miles south of the Buckfield Mall

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for the additional perspectives on this mount. I'm only planning to use it for my 5" Nexstar and a 90mm F11 GSO scope and T3 canon so it will not be taxed weight wise. Although most of my observing is done from my small home observatory an occasional trip to a darker site may not be out of question.
Be Well
Grey

#15 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

... does it come packed with a fist full of quarters. :grin:

Comes with a secret pouch full of quarters :)

Some comparison I had put together for AT65EDQ, relevant here as well. Regards

Attached Files

#16 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

3. The mount

That just looks..'Professional'.

Cheers...Paul

#17 Xeroid

Xeroid

Vostok 1

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

mmalik,
You left out the most important row: $ Cost $ :tonofbricks:
Tom

#18 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

I did go over it in the other... thread :), I know should have covered. Here it is:

•ZEQ25GT.........................................# 7101 $799
•ZEQ25GT with Polar Scope.................# 7100 $848
•ZEQ25 and Hard Case...................# 7100-HC $898
ZEQ25GT with 2inch Tripod..................# 7102 $948
•ZEQ25GT with 2" Tripod and Case...# 7102-HC $998

More info here...

#19 Mlehere

Mlehere

Mariner 2

• ****-
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

The Mach1 is in a totally different class as evidenced by its price. 45# is its photographic capacity, it will carry upwards of 60# for visual. It's design, machining and flawless operation is a tribute to AP. The AVX and ZEQ25 fit a different price point in the market and appear to do so well.

#20 Xeroid

Xeroid

Vostok 1

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

mmalik, Mlehere,
Many thanks for discussing the COST factor. Its an important element when comparing mounts (Mach1 = $6,350.00 :ooo:) especially for us newbies...

Tom

#21 Intihuatana

Intihuatana

Vostok 1

• Loc: Weston, FL

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

Also deciding between a VX and the Z:

Ioptron specifies 0.11 arc seconds "resolution" for the ZEQ25GT....I guess this is the maximum DEC/RA tracking error ( tracking accuracy)?.

I can't find the tracking accuracy spec for the VX anywhere in the Celestron documentation...such an important spec?

Any light here will be appreciated.

#22 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:41 AM

Also deciding between a VX and the Z:

Ioptron specifies 0.11 arc seconds "resolution" for the ZEQ25GT....I guess this is the maximum DEC/RA tracking error ( tracking accuracy)?.

I can't find the tracking accuracy spec for the VX anywhere in the Celestron documentation...such an important spec?

Any light here will be appreciated.

No, the "resolution" figure has to be a Go-To pointing accuracy indicator. Has nothing to do with periodic error of the drive gears.

Alas as far as I know you have to get into multi-thousand dollar mounts before getting a guaranteed periodic error value (if then).

Edit: As far as go-to accuracy is concerned (I know not exactly what you are asking for, but since it is what the stat talks about) I would expect the AVX to be slightly better at go-to when given a proper 2+4 calibration then the ZEQ25 would be.

Further edit: In fact I should say the stat is likely about Go-To precision rather then go-to accuracy. In other words it can aim for a target co-ordinate with that level of precision. It says nothing about if the co-ords actually match the sky (that being the accuracy part of the equation). Without any numbers I am going to make a guess that the Go-To precision is very similar between the two mounts but the AVX (when properly calibrated) has better pointing accuracy due to it's good modelling of mount properties. What does all that mean? For AP not much, for visual, easier target finding for the AVX.

#23 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:55 AM

@mmalik: I just wanted to thank you for posting this. I'm in the market for a good mount to start off astrophotography with. I started another thread in this forum, and one of the recommendations was the ZEQ25GT. It's extremely useful seeing what the package contains and hearing your thoughts.

#24 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:31 AM

2" Tripod Packaging:

It wasn't very impressive; looks like they tried to use foam that wouldn't fit no matter how I tried. More tripod pics to follow:

Attached Files

#25 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:32 AM

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics