Can Stellarium be put onto a CD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ianfromoz

ianfromoz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:39 AM

I have a laptop and a Android Samsung galaxy tablet device, I only have the internet on my tablet.

Is it posdible to download Stellarium to a P.C and then copy it onto a CD?

Reason I ask is because I was thinking my friend could download it onto his PC then give it to me via a CD to install on my laptop, But I dont know if it is possible to do this hence the question.

Ian

#2 planet earth

planet earth

Surveyor 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Ontario Canada

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:54 AM

Yes you can.
Sam

#3 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

• Loc: Fogpatch, CA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

Yes, but please note that without an internet connection on your laptop, you will only have the four, small default-package star catalogs: 0-3.

If amenable, your friend could install Stellarium and all the stars and then you could copy the stars folder to a number of CDs. Where the stars folder is located depends upon the OS.

When I only had a dial-up connection, I used friends' high-speed connections. In the older versions it was easy to install the additional star catalogs manually and edit a simple "stars.ini" file. That file has been replaced with a more complicated "starsConfig.json" file which involves checksums, etc.

By the way, older versions of Stellarium are still available if the current version won't work on your laptop.

#4 ianfromoz

ianfromoz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

Thank you both for answering my question.

Regards,
ian

#5 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

• Loc: Grand Isle, VT

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:44 AM

A Thumb/flash drive would work too.

#6 The Mighty Mo

The Mighty Mo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South of North, North of South, Somewhere on the 3rd Rock

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:50 AM

Todd, I'm not sure I follow what you mean about having to edit the config file. I've always just taken my saved copies of the additional star catalogs and manually copied them into the Program Files\Stellarium\Stars\Default folder right next to the other files. Soon as Stellarium starts, it automatically senses and reads those files, editing the config file itself. I've never had to edit anything.

#7 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

• Loc: Fogpatch, CA

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:53 PM

Not the config.ini file, the stars.ini file in older versions. I would just copy the extra, deeper star cats from a CD and add formatted lines to the stars.ini file with star cats 4 and up set to "true."

That's what I remember doing. It's old stuff. What I did worked. If it was unnecessary, that's news to me.

#8 The Mighty Mo

The Mighty Mo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South of North, North of South, Somewhere on the 3rd Rock

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

Ah I see, thanks, that makes sense. I don't recall using Stellarium until after they began using the .json files so I've had it "easy".

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics