"DOBCAM" - Astronomy Video Camera for Dobsonians

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 Relativist

Relativist

Skylab

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:39 PM

Ok ill PM you as to not further sidetrack the thread.

#27 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:13 AM

Post deleted by budman1961

#28 BigDob Al

BigDob Al

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:54 AM

Is there any chance of an image of the "lip" that prevents the camera from slipping down the focuser tube?

I am interested in a Newt for imaging, and in-focus is a concern.

I don't know about you guys but this "lip" as you call it exists in all eyepieces, 2" to 1.25" adapters , focusers and all things that go into a focuser drawtube.
Hardly news and hardly worth a question. Asking about it is like saying that unless you saw the steering wheel of a car you couldn't be sure it's a car. C'mon guys , ask something relevant about cameras . I'd like to learn for example how good does this work in a scope . It'd be fun to see a comparison between this $199 system and the me-too copycat that sprouted immediately here for like double the price but using apparently the same electronics. I'd like to see what would I be getting if I bought one or the other ? What would I be getting EXTRA if I bought the big heavy one and pay double the price ? Maybe a separate thread and compare the 2 ?

Clear Skies,
Al

#29 moonbase1

moonbase1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

My first post here. I agree this is lame and dangerous.
This so called camera have forced me to be uncomfortable and realize its danger with my Obsession 25".

Albert E.

I apologize for my "so called camera" forcing you to feel uncomfortable and/or feel any danger for you or your belongings.
This hobby was supposed to be serene and offer us shelter from stress. Mea culpa.
I can solemnly assure you that my cameras will never attack your scope .

There is a carefully designed , using a very expensive aerospace grade FEA software , metal part that attaches the camera SECURELY to the 2" focuser tube .
It was not included in the pictures, either for clarity , to better illustrate how deep the camera could go into the focuser.

Because I am a pragmatic person and don't necessarily trust all software results, I ran my truck over it and it didn't budge !!! The camera stayed attached after my humble crash dummy test .
I wanted to reassure them that no camera falls out of the focuser are possible AT ALL.

Sir,

I sense a negative tone and frustration in your reply. Sorry if I have caused any uneasy situation. I was simply stating a rather strange design comment. Not being negative one, you must admit before anyone stick a type of device into a 15,000.00 telescope their concern is valid.

In any case thank you for replying with a rather negative note.

Albert E.
Los Angeles
USA

#30 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

Al,

A friendly suggestion ... if you make assumptions and post them in forums like this you can stir up some likely unwanted attention and comments ... especially if those aren't very good assumptions.

What we know about those two cameras ...

One is $199 and is essentially an existing camera (the DSO-1 slightly modified by removing an external part) with some nice accessories. It is shipping now.

The other is $349 (not double the price). It's mounted in a custom enclosure (extra cost). It comes with a 2" .5x focal reducer (extra cost) and a 2" barrel adapter (extra cost). It's not shipping yet and we don't know about it's remote control. We also don't know what the camera's characteristics are other than it also has a 1/3" sensor (Sony ICX672AKA EXview HAD II), and 17s NTSC exposures with 5x internal stacking options.

Lots of differences (more cost and more value) ... so hardly a copy cat, but I also think the timing of the announcement isn't a coincidence (but the camera was hardly just something Rock whipped up in response). You are however absolutely correct to question whether those differences have any value to you. The problem is that we just don't know all the details ... yet.

It would indeed also be useful to see a live comparison but since the Mallincam camera isn't shipping yet we'll have to wait a while ... and even then real side by side comparisons are very hard to come by.

I too have some assumptions about the Mallincam camera, but past experience has taught me that Rock often has a few surprises in his products (both good and bad) so it's probably best to wait and see before making public statements.

Edit: to add the 2" adapter

#31 RichardHC

RichardHC

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Australian Riverland

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:41 PM

My first post here. I agree this is lame and dangerous.
This so called camera have forced me to be uncomfortable and realize its danger with my Obsession 25".

Albert E.

Hi Albert, welcome to the Forum.

I sense that English may not be your first language so I think you need to know that saying something is "so called" is a suggestion that it isn't really what it claims to be.

This is quite obviously a camera so the rather hostile response you received was possibly because of your poor choice of words.

Posters here are (mostly) harmless.

#32 RichardHC

RichardHC

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

Al,

One is $199 and is essentially an existing camera (the DSO-1 slightly modified by removing an external part) with some nice accessories. It is shipping now.

The other is $349 (not double the price). It's mounted in a custom enclosure (extra cost). It comes with a 2" .5x focal reducer (extra cost). It's not shipping yet and we don't know about it's remote control. We also don't know what the camera's characteristics are other than it also has a 1/3" sensor (Sony ICX672AKA EXview HAD II), and 17s NTSC exposures with 5x internal stacking options.

Lots of differences (more cost and more value) ... ....

Rock's housing looks nice and screws directly onto the reducer - and I think the 0.5 reducer Rock is including in his kit is a pretty good idea - having tried out my SCB2000 on a manual mount 8" F5 Dobsonian I'm a little concerned users may be disappointed with the results they get on a 1/3" chip - it really is a small field of view - 16.5 by 12.4 arcmin for 1m FL - and without a sidereal drive you could cross that completely in well under a minute (the actual speed depends on the declination).

My 2" GSO 0.5 Reducer cost $69 Australian so I guess around $60 US retail.

Whilst they are great visual instruments, I'm not convinced a Dob is that well suited to video astronomy. (Perhaps I shouldn't be in this thread!)

#33 astronet1

astronet1

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:41 AM

I've been waiting on my astro-video camera in the mail for almost a month now, and have yet to receive a tracking number for 12 days since I was told I'd be sent one the following day. I am sure you're just busy Matt but some communication would be nice.

#34 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

Rock's housing looks nice and screws directly onto the reducer - and I think the 0.5 reducer Rock is including in his kit is a pretty good idea - having tried out my SCB2000 on a manual mount 8" F5 Dobsonian I'm a little concerned users may be disappointed with the results they get on a 1/3" chip - it really is a small field of view - 16.5 by 12.4 arcmin for 1m FL - and without a sidereal drive you could cross that completely in well under a minute (the actual speed depends on the declination).

Whilst they are great visual instruments, I'm not convinced a Dob is that well suited to video astronomy. (Perhaps I shouldn't be in this thread!)

Richard, you reminded me of something I left out of my post above. The Pro DOB II also comes with Rock's 2" barrel to C mount adapter, this is what the focal reducer threads onto. This unit also has 1.25" filter threads internally so you can also use less expensive filters if you don't mind the possible vignetting in a very fast setup.

It'll be interesting to see how many Dob owners go for this camera or the DOBCAM. I know what many of them really want would be the same body with something more like the MC Jr. Pro camera internally (1/2" sensor, slightly longer exposures).

And I just realized that we've seriously hijacked Matt's announcement thread (forgot which "Dob" style camera thread this originally was). I guess any more Mallincam comments should go in the other thread ... sorry about that Matt.

#35 mattflastro

mattflastro

Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

• -----
  • Loc: Brevard County , FL

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

I've been waiting on my astro-video camera in the mail for almost a month now, and have yet to receive a tracking number for 12 days since I was told I'd be sent one the following day. I am sure you're just busy Matt but some communication would be nice.

Hi Terry,
Your camera has been paid via Paypal . When it was shipped, the tracking number was entered into Paypal and Paypal sends it automatically to the buyer. I assume from what you're writing that you use a different Paypal email that you're not checking very often . Please check your Paypal email and see if you received the tracking info. I'll email it to you tonight when I get home if you supply an email address . Up to now, you haven't contacted me via email.

#36 astronet1

astronet1

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

Hi Terry,
Your camera has been paid via Paypal . When it was shipped, the tracking number was entered into Paypal and Paypal sends it automatically to the buyer. I assume from what you're writing that you use a different Paypal email that you're not checking very often . Please check your Paypal email and see if you received the tracking info. I'll email it to you tonight when I get home if you supply an email address . Up to now, you haven't contacted me via email.

Ah yes, that would be the problem as the camera was paid for by my father (with his paypal) as a birthday present. I assumed when you said "email me a tracking number" it would have been through a PM on cloudynights as that's where we've been communicating. I've PM'd you my email address, thanks.

#37 RichardHC

RichardHC

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

.... I know what many of them really want would be the same body with something more like the MC Jr. Pro camera internally (1/2" sensor, slightly longer exposures).

And I just realized that we've seriously hijacked Matt's announcement thread (forgot which "Dob" style camera thread this originally was). I guess any more Mallincam comments should go in the other thread ... sorry about that Matt.

Yes, this is Matt's thread and the Dobcam does look like a great piece of kit. But at risk of continuing the hijack, I think the decision to use the more sensitive 1/3" chip is correct in the Dobsonian application where tracking accuracy and field rotation will severely limit the exposure times usable.

Some of the stuff about the risk of dropping it into the tube does look a bit picky to me - I use a QHY that could, with an effort, be dropped through the focuser but there's no shortage of ways to avoid doing that. (I think someone talked about the risk to a $15,000 scope - that'd be some Dob!).

#38 astronet1

astronet1

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

Post deleted by astronet1

#39 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

Post deleted by mattflastro

#40 astronet1

astronet1

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

Weird. I don't know why that posted it again? I haven't been on cloudy nights since then. All I can think is that I wrote that on my mobile phone and somehow it went back to the page and reposted it?

Anyways it came today and I am very excited to use it tonight.

#41 jambi99

jambi99

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Québec, Canada

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:30 AM

There is a lot of copy-cat in the air lately.

Matt, thanks for shaking the tree...

#42 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

Here is the Astro-Video Systems 2" INFOCUS adapter for the AVS DSO-1 , DSO-S , MK II/III and APU-1 cameras .
This adapter slides the camera forward INTO the 2" focuser drawtube AND holds the camera securely in place ,without any possibility of the camera slipping further in .
This is a unique Astro-Video Systems design that fits only cameras with this body size and type. It does not fit other camera sizes.
The INFOCUS adapter moves the camera toward the focal plane by at least one inch compared with the standard 1.25" camera nosepiece and by at least 30mm when compared with any other 2" adapters.
This amount is enough to bring the camera to focus in any dobsonian without requiring shorter truss tubes . IT is also useful for refractors that couldn't reach focus .

Another unique feature of the 2" INFOCUS adapter is that the camera can use all 1.25" accessories without any change.
The Varioreducer can be used together with the INFOCUS adapter without any change to the reduction factors and without any change to the reducer to camera distance or spacers.

Attached Files

#43 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:49 AM

more...

Attached Files

#44 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

and front view shown with a 1.25" nosepiece next to it...

Attached Files

#45 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

Matt,

Nice product. Thanks for showing us exactly what is going on.

Good point about refractors. With all this discussion about Dobs I think it has been lost that many refractors have in focus issues when using video cameras with focal reducers.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics