Goldendale Campout & Star Party, 5/30 - 6/1/14

• Please log in to reply
393 replies to this topic

#1 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

• Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:04 PM

On the theory that too much warning is better than too little, I hereby *officially* announce the dates for this year's getaway.

This year it will be the weekend of May 30 - June 1, a full week earlier than last year. We're gambling slightly worse odds on the weather in exchange for guarantied longer hours of darkness. As always, don't feel restricted to those three days. You'll be welcome to arrive earlier or stay later. The Honey Bucket should be delivered and snatched the Wednesdays before and after, unless the vendor has changed its schedule.

Directions to the Property

The two main routes to the property are (1) over Snoqualmie Pass then south; and (2) up the lazy River from the Portland area, then north. From Seattle/Tacoma, Snoqualmie is somewhat faster, assuming no problem with the road. On the other hand, if it's warm and dry then a guy going east along the Columbia will probably get a helpful push from strong tail winds. Take your pick, name your tune.

Also, those going from Seattle/Tacoma LP-opolis should note: It's my habit when going to G/dale from home to check for traffic snafus. I once avoided a 3 hour backup over Snoqualmie with a last-minute check.

First the Snoqualmie directions.

• From Snoqualmie go through Ellensburg, then south through Yakima on I-82, then watch for signs to Hwy. 97 South and to Goldendale. You can leave I-82 in two places: around Union Gap and a bit farther south, going through Toppenish. Follow Hwy. 97 south over Satus Pass.

• Turn right (west) as you get to G/dale, on to West Broadway St. (“SR 142” – and Dairy Queen on corner). In a few blocks notice a grocery store on your left, for future supplies. They have good seafood (oysters!) on Saturdays. Travel exactly one mile from the highway, then turn left on South COLUMBUS Ave.

• Travel south on South Columbus Ave. exactly .41 miles, then turn right on West Railroad St.

• *** Turn left at the stop sign after 1/4 mi. or so.

• You will soon come to a "Y". Stay to the Left; this is where your road becomes Horseshoe Bend Road.

• There are a couple more “Y”s in the road. Always stay on Horseshoe Bend Road, which will mean keeping Right at the “Y”s.

• Notice a prominent and lonely stand of trees ahead of you and on the left of the road. Just after you crest a hill, just past the trees, turn left onto Pinto Drive. The turn is .5 - .6 mi. after the intersection with Erickson Rd. As you go through the gate look to your right across the swale and you’ll see camping activity, your destination. Pinto soon makes a 90* bend to the right and becomes Apaloosa Court. Just after the road crosses the drainage and starts up a hill, turn a hard right onto an “offroad” graded but unimproved drive, and follow it to the camping area.

And from the Portland area:

• Follow I-84 East from Portland, then go North on Hwy. 97 at the Biggs Junction, which is east of The Dalles. Follow signs to Goldendale.

• Turn left onto East Simcoe Drive as you approach Goldendale.

• Follow E. Simcoe Dr. to the T-intersection and turn right onto So. Columbus Ave.

• Go 4 or 5 blocks, passing a gas station on your right (usually cheapest gas in town,) then turn Left onto West Railroad St.

• Follow directions beginning at the *** above.

Coordinates

The coordinates (at mouth of Pinto Drive) are:
45* 47' 44.31" N
120* 57' 18.23" W.

Other Stuff

There are a couple of motels in G/dale for non-campers. History indicates about a 50/50 ratio of astronomers to people just out to enjoy a camping weekend with friends. There's much to see & do in the area, as subsequent discussion in this thread may illuminate.

We'll be on the cusp of May changing to June. In May, Ave. Hi/Low temps are 75*/49*; in June they're 81*/55*. Record Hi/Lo in May are 99*/32*; in June they're 108*/41*. Average total precipitation for May is 1.0", with 23 sunny days; the June average is .83”, with 26 sunny days. Please pack for cold nights. When we first did this several years ago it fell on the 1st or 2nd weekend in May; a friend's dog water dish froze all the way to the bottom and a couple of people shivered all night.

Pack for a significant wind chill if the wind decides to blow, and believe me, the wind can really whip up! Plan your tents/awnings setups to survive in and provide shelter from the wind. Pre-treat your dogs for ticks.

Shopping and water in Goldendale, 15 min. away.

Plan for a Potluck Saturday, and doubtless there will be other group dining.

There is no water at the property, so carry in your own water. Please plan to pitch in something for the Honey Bucket; $5/person would be about right. Please, no open fires or charcoal BBQ’s (gas all right.) A neighbor sells what may be Washington's best eggs.

Non-astronomers will be warmly welcomed, but remember, the focus of nighttime activities will be astronomy. Please be prepared to use only red or red-covered lights, flashlights and headlamps after dark, inside and outside tents. Dark is the Night Queen. (If you don't have a red flashlight, pick up a roll of tail light repair tape at an auto parts store to cover your white light in several layers.)

If you plan to use a generator (other than wind or solar) please camp in the area near the observing pads 150 yd. away at the top of the hill.

I'd welcome posting of photos from prior events!

#2 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:28 PM

:band:

#3 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

I will me there my friends and looking forward to it!

#4 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Coupeville, WA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

My oh my. This is becoming the Woodstock of astro get togethers. I imagine in a few years it will dwarf the Oregon & Washington Star Parties!

#5 MadHungarian

MadHungarian

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Rainy WA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

Hmm, i might show up this year myself. I have billions and billions (so it seems) of Herschel 400 springtime galaxies to make it through, and a Goldendale excursion might be just what the doctor ordered, if my back is up to it.

And Saturn will be in the sky too...

Oh how interesting -- Memorial Day weekend is actually the previous weekend? I always thought Memorial Day was at the very end of May. But that's good -- less traffic to worry about. Maybe i'll just request the whole 4-day week off at work.

What are the bugs & mosquitoes like at that time of year?

#6 MadHungarian

MadHungarian

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:02 AM

From Goldendale August 2012 Star Party

Attached Files

#7 MadHungarian

MadHungarian

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:04 AM

From Goldendale August 2012 Star Party. Me.

Attached Files

#8 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:25 AM

June 2013

Attached Files

#9 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

Robert, I'll dial up some good seeing for you and your imager brethren.

It'll be nice to see you, Cliff.

My oh my. This is becoming the Woodstock of astro get togethers.

Jackie, I'm appointing you Transport Czar, in charge of arranging chopper service for getting the bands in and out.

Thanks for the pix, Emery & Robert! It hadn't occurred to me to work around Memorial Day weekend, so I'm glad we're avoiding it, by good luck alone.

What are the bugs & mosquitoes like at that time of year?

Flying pests are nearly non-existent. Ticks can be a problem, so if you walk through brush be sure to inspect your socks & under your pants legs.

#10 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Coupeville, WA

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

Czar is like a king right. I always wanted to be a king! Being a president is too pedestrian. Now that the road is paved, I am appointing Steve my under-czar, declaring that road an airstrip, and we can use his plane rather than a chopper as our shuttle. I hope Steve is better than me when it comes to music - I barely recognized a single name at the Grammy's. All the performers I know need wheelchairs and canes.[Maybe I would flop as Czar.]

#11 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

I'll book the bands Jackie!

Seriously, glad to have this on the calendar!

For those that don't want to camp, I've stayed twice at this hotel, about 15 min from the observing site. It's nice, super convenient with a Mini mart & McDonald's next door, but a little spendy.

http://www.qualityin...ashington-WA178

#12 astronomania

astronomania

Ranger 4

• Loc: Marysville, Wa.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:02 PM

Just gotta get the time off approved Mike, can't wait!!

#13 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

Ron, make it so.

Steve, best arrange acoustic bands.

And I want to acknowledge a moral and inspirational life that ended yesterday at the age of 94: Pete Seeger's. Thanks for everything, Pete.

#14 svtdoug

svtdoug

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:16 AM

Mike! I'm in, along with my trailer this time. Thanks much for the invite and hosting. Looking forward to Pixieland and seeing everyone!

Doug

#15 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

Hi, Doug, and Happy New Year. I'm glad you'll be coming.

#16 DarkSkys

DarkSkys

Viking 1

• Loc: In the dark desert of Eastern WA.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:55 AM

I can't wait! Hopefully I will be able to stay for more than 2 days this year.

Shots from June '13

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 square_peg

square_peg

ISS

• Loc: Maple Valley, WA

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

I'm still bummed that I missed it last year. Marking my calendar.

#18 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

Attached Files

#19 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:19 AM

Kyle, raise your face to the Feb. sunshine & stars.

Tom, I'm delighted you'll be making it. You too, Stacy.

And thanks for the pix, guys!

#20 LenS

LenS

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Bellevue, Washington

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

My wife and I are looking forward to joining you wonderful folks agan this year. I'll bring my 16 inch Dob and my new Chalet folding trailer. It would be awesome to have great weather like last year - we will keep our fingers crossed.

#21 MadHungarian

MadHungarian

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

I'd love to take a look at that Chalet folding trailer there. I was half interested in one myself. Though i have no idea where i'd store it.

#22 LenS

LenS

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Bellevue, Washington

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

I have the Chalet XL1935 and it easily fits in my car garage with 4 inches clearance on either side and is 19 feet long. We did not want a full size trailer but one that would fit in my garag. We have it equiped with 80 watt solar panels as well. We'll give people a tour when we are there.

#23 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

I'm glad you'll make it, Len.

#24 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

One more...