Kinda Rusty

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:04 AM

The first week or so I spent Jonesing for a view of Jupiter. The second and third week kind of fell into rainy season indifference. When the weather stinks, not much you can do about it. No sense Jonesing over it.

Finally got a clear night in good seeing. At first look, I wondered how in the heck I was gonna sketch anything. Kind of clumsy in setting up and getting ready to observe and sketch. Yea, real rusty and I was wondering if I could catch anything. I just wasn't seeing much at first, rusty I guess.

The EZ was pretty tough, but some nice festoons barely showed themselves with a nice one coming around the trailing limb. After a while, some detail in the SEB began to pop with some lighter clouds and some faint festoon-like features along it's northern border. The NEB had a darker core and a few rifts. What's interesting is how much the north has changed since three weeks of overcast skies.

So, here's Jupiter's boring side on 25 Jan 1410 UT at 240x with 8mm TMB II. System I 51 and System II 64. Seeing was Ant II most of the night.

Some interesting features: first in the STrZ near the preceding edge was what I suspect is the trailing edge of BA's cloud. There did seem to be a break in that tail, or something of a white spot. The SSTeB seemed darker in patches along it's southern border. The SSTeZ was patchy as well, but stronger on the following limb. Near the STrZ trailing limb appeared to be a faint cloud feature. A very faint STB was noted.

The NTeB seemed darker along it's northern edge with a sudden northward sloping cloud feature. That seems new. In the NPR there were some interplay of light and dark features. Hard to make out. But the NTeZ seemed to end near the trailing limb. And the NNTrZ was faintly visible over most of the disc.

No ovals seen and not much white in the EZ outside of a couple of plumes.

Attached Files

#2 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:38 AM

Nice, Norme! I understand the difficulty of weather, although cold and turbulence has been the big story here, not rain. I am glad to see you got out again.

The festoons activity is impressive, and looks great in your sketch.

As for the observation, I find the NTeB very interesting. The dark border in the north gives a crisp visual presence. It looks beautifully rendered here, and I am definitely itching to see that.

Good to see you sliding out from your rainy funk. ;)

#3 ggalilei

ggalilei

Apollo

• Loc: Kentucky

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

Interesting: I stepped about 25 feet away from the screen and your sketch started looking like what I saw on Jupiter! Fine amount of detail, Norme, and beautifully rendered.

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

Its not jazzy like the others but its not bad at all and you caught the nuances well - something you've really achieved with consistency this season. There's those calls you take where the differences between absolute white and 5-10% off-white is given and as subtle as it is its these fine attenuations in in the values that really put it over the top. It is an interesting fact in art and design the most subtle things that are near invisible cumulatively make for an even bold statement at the end of it all.
I'm looking forward to this approach of yours on Mars. Michael Rosalina also does this well - as do others - where those white areas have just a breath of shading - and that's what sets it apart.

I'm looking at that thin thin STeB and that's exactly as it appeared through my 8" in this hemisphere (which you caught about 45 min later in rotation then the CM I had). If you recall there was question if this even existed and if it were merely a contrast illusion. It really is real though - what makes the CCD images seem to mute it a bit is the sheer enormity of the scale their images usually are. And yours is of the scale too - but you've preserved the observed contrasts if how it appears when these contrasting areas are somewhat smaller, tighter and curiously better shown.

This season - for me - Jupiter is all about the south polar region up to the equator - there's just more there that I focus on -the elusive white spots - the GRS wake and so I kind of have ignored the north a but - though the sulphur grey is a nice thing to behold.

Nice work Norme.

Pete

#5 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

Antonino, when I walk 25 feet away, it looks the same way. :)

Serious. The sketch is really huge compared to the draft sketch which, in turn, is huge compared to the actual view. Sometimes on a smaller android screen, it comes up just about the right size and the effect is amazing. It's about the right size. (Like my avatar, only more difficult to see.)

Jason, yea shaking out the cob webs. Got another sketch tonight. The GRS wake preceding has grown quite large, been dying to see what it looks like. The north, again, has changed so much. I really haven't found a good image if this side to check up on my imagination, really curious though how much laying off a few weeks impacted the view.

Hey, I noticed this last night but thought nothing of it. I'm catching Jupiter as it approaches the zenith from the east. So as the scope slews toward the zenith, with the tripod at it'as lowest and most stable setting, I find myself crouching over as the eyepiece get's pretty low. So, halfway through the sketch, I swap directions so the eyepiece rises. In each case, it always seems so much better after swapping sides when viewing Jupiter. I just thought the seeing might have settled a bit, but it happened again tonight. Weird. Maybe it's like Michael Rapp said, being more comfortable is really important enough to make that difference?

Thank you guys, it's good to be back observing again.

#6 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

Pete, yea I remember. You know, I am not sure if it's an illusion or if it's really there. Thanks for the tip on design, I really had no idea. I was just motivated by Adolph's art to really try to render it as nicely as possible.

Being rusty, I'm really curious to see a good image of those festoons. They were tough.

#7 youngamateur42

youngamateur42

Surveyor 1

• Loc: La Verne, CA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

As always, excellent work Norme :waytogo:

#8 ggalilei

ggalilei

Apollo

• Loc: Kentucky

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

I was referring to the details that you extract from the view, and I don't see yet. I need a much longer session with good seeing. Meanwhile, I can enjoy the views through your eyes and rendering skills.

#9 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

Norme,
Some nice work. I would be happy to see anything after my weather. It's 11F and snowing again! You caught some nice details. It's very subtle but its there.

Good Work.

Ken

#10 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Huntington, NY, USA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

I can only "second" Ken with respect to the weather and your wonderful work....
Randolph

#11 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

Antonino, yea a longer view might help. When seeing is pretty good, it's really hard to capture everything Jove has to offer. And if you allow Jove to rotate instead of racing against it, you of course spend more time but the following edge comes into better view.

Justing, thank you, again.

Ken, yes, I understand freezing. It's actually cold here to the inhabitants, it's in the low 70's and everyone is freezing. :)

Randolph, thank you, too.

#12 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

Norme,

Nice sketch of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#13 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:51 PM

Norme,

This is a great looking Jupiter sketch.
Getting set up in the dark can be more than half the battle.

Frank :)

#14 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:11 AM

Thank you, Frank. Getting back into the hang of it. :)

#15 Mert

Mert

Skylab

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

That's an impressive sketch Norme, excellent detail
and very natural look!!!
Was this done with the 6"??
Great work :waytogo:

#16 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

Norme,

Lookin' good to me. The detail you rendered in the SEBs border looks interesting with the dark segments pretty regularly spaced. I also like the feature you drew in the SEBn near the meridian, a light narrow zone within the SEB. The bright rifting below the festoon bases are cool along with the tiny oval on the NEBn. I also notice the NTB potion on the following limb that headed "downward."

Thanks for posting this fine sketch. Dean

#17 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

Another superb sketch from the artist.

Andre.

#18 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

Mert, yes, this was with my 6" MCT. Not as good as your images, but... :)

Dean, thanks. Yea, following that festoon on the trailing limb, which was closer to the meridian by the time I got around to sketching it, there was a bit of a slope to the NEB. I am not sure if the SEBs border was evenly spaced or not, there was just something there - uneven with rifting. It's awfully hard to place correctly, and that's more of an interpretation than anything.

Andre, thank you, again. I was really working hard to drain Jove for everything it might offer.

Got three aborted sketches from the last two nights. Clouds twice and seeing went to pot once caused me to abort a half finished sketch. I might have enough to do a composite.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics