136 replies to this topic

#1 cygnus72

cygnus72

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: State College, PA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

Hello,

The 2014 BFSP is officially scheduled for August 22-24.

#2 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:59 PM

Hello,

The 2014 BFSP is officially scheduled for August 22-24.

I just checked (again) the 'official' website ( web page ) and it still has 2013 info. However, the 'official' PA state parks website has been saying those August dates for months - so it must be true! :smirk:

While I bet a lot of people will be disappointed it's not in September, for me it's great - 'cuz I can only make Black Forest when they hold it in August. I spend most of September each year in the Adirondacks. Stellafane is in July, so no conflict there either.

Bottom line: I'm going! ....but first there's CSSP and probably an earlier springtime trip to the park for me before BFSP. I'm looking forward to a better astronomy year in 2014 compared to the awful weather in 2013.

#3 RobTeeter

RobTeeter

Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Rockaway, NJ

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:56 AM

For me as well, August is good timing this year. That opens up the New Moon window in September for both the Delmarva StarGaze (No Frills) on September 18-21 and the Connecticut Star Party on September 26-28. For the last several years those two events and the BFSP were all the same weekend. All are great events, but as a vendor I have to consider the largest audience I can get my products in front of. So this year, assuming the weather cooperates, we'll be able to attend all three events. :jump:

Clear skies,

#4 CometChaser2013

CometChaser2013

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:09 AM

Mail-in registration for the 2014 Black Forest Star Party is now open!

More information can be found here: http://bfsp.org/register/

The date of this year's star party is indeed August 22-24.

Spaces at BFSP are limited each year as the event is located in a PA State Park. So if you are thinking of attending, registering early is best way to assure your spot.

Thank you to all for your continued support!

Bill G.
BFSP 2014 Speaker/Vendor/Door Prize coordinator

#5 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:37 AM

A couple of friends of mine are considering attending this year. They're not as into astronomy as I am, they'd enjoy a few hours of it a night, but then the ability to hang out around a campfire and use white light would probably be appreciated by them. I think i've seen people with campfires at the campground across the road, that is behind the Cherry Springs Tavern? Is there a fee to stay there? Does it usually fill up too? They wouldn't be able to arrive until Friday.

#6 ischua

ischua

Under the Radar

• Loc: Below Snow Plop WNY

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

It's a first come campground I think it's $15 a night too

#7 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

I can't recall how many spots, do you guys think it usually fills up at the BFSP? I'd hate to send them to Lyman Run at night with a 20 minute drive in mountains they're unfamiliar with.

#8 ischua

ischua

Under the Radar

• Loc: Below Snow Plop WNY

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:21 PM

There are 30 sites in the campground. From the Pa DCNR web non residents pay $17 a night. If you call Lyman Run they would know more on how fast it fills up.

#9 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:05 PM

It's a first come campground I think it's $15 a night too

....for residents of PA. Out of state folks have to pay $17/night for the camping area (or to camp in any other PA park).

#10 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:09 PM

There are 30 sites in the campground. From the Pa DCNR web non residents pay $17 a night. If you call Lyman Run they would know more on how fast it fills up.

At last year's CSSP, Chip (the park head) said that their campsite area fills up must summer weekends now that the park has become famous! People even come on the full moon, expecting to see the Milky Way! :cool:

If you expect to be at CSSP during Black Forest, you need to register as early as possible.

#11 Undermidnight

Undermidnight

BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

• Loc: Untermitternacht

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

Me and about 7 other club members have registered. Hoping for some clear skies.

Jason

#12 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:56 AM

I'm hoping to get up the finances soon to register.

#13 Undermidnight

Undermidnight

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

Andy, that would be awesome to see you!!

Jason

#14 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:29 PM

We had 2 great nights, and one 'OK' night at last month's star party. I'm hoping for more of the same for Black Forest.

#15 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:17 PM

Jason

It would be great to meet Andy and to see you again, Jason!

#16 Undermidnight

Undermidnight

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

Jason

It would be great to meet Andy and to see you again, Jason!

Likewise!! I am working on a rebuild of my 12.5" mirror box that I have been wanting to finish. Now that the woodshop is finished, I can get back to building. I will soon be starting on Andy's 8" rebuild. I just wish I could get it done by the star party.

Jason

#17 Undermidnight

Undermidnight

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

We had 2 great nights, and one 'OK' night at last month's star party. I'm hoping for more of the same for Black Forest.

Me too! I am heading up early on Wednesday.

Jason

#18 Brett Carlson

Brett Carlson

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

My work normally has a no vacation policy during August and Sept due to our busy season but they felt back for cutting me short last year! They are giving me the 21st and 22nd off so it looks like I'm going!

I'll be getting for there sometime Thursday with my 16" Water Heater!

#19 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

Looking forward to meeting you, Brett!

#20 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:25 PM

I'm hoping to get up the finances soon to register.

Same!

#21 ismosi

ismosi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:27 PM

My first ever star party was 2002 BFSP after getting back into astronomy. Life was simpler then; I just plopped my scope and tripod on the ground (no wires, no GOTO, no nothin') and boom! ready to observe.

It's been quite a while since I've been; but now I've taken the beautiful simplicity of observing the heavens and ruined it with computers, cameras, autoguiders ...

... so, is electric power available for use during the star party for we imagers? It's not a lot of draw but a lot of wires (mount, camera, autoguider, focuser, USB hub, laptop).

Sorry for the extremely verbose way to ask a simple question :)

#22 Undermidnight

Undermidnight

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

My first ever star party was 2002 BFSP after getting back into astronomy. Life was simpler then; I just plopped my scope and tripod on the ground (no wires, no GOTO, no nothin') and boom! ready to observe.

It's been quite a while since I've been; but now I've taken the beautiful simplicity of observing the heavens and ruined it with computers, cameras, autoguiders ...

... so, is electric power available for use during the star party for we imagers? It's not a lot of draw but a lot of wires (mount, camera, autoguider, focuser, USB hub, laptop).

Sorry for the extremely verbose way to ask a simple question :)

Yes, there are powered spots on the field but not in all areas.

Jason

#23 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

... so, is electric power available for use during the star party for we imagers? ....

Simple answer: yes.

There are a number of AC power "towers" on the field - first come, first served. However there is usually no problem getting hooked up. Bring your own long extension cord, because you could be some distance from one of these.

Here is a picture on Flickr ( Flickr image ) of my 5" APO refractor at Cherry Springs, and you will see that it is wired into one of these gray AC power 'towers'. This pic was taken before lots of people arrived, so you may not be able to get any closer than I was - thus the need for the extension cord.

The 'general rule' at the park is: AC is for astronomy stuff only, but I've seen the rangers give an exception at times for certain other uses - but ask permission first.

Also, here is a link to a pdf file that is a map of the observing field; the green circles show the locations of the AC power 'towers': pdf file - map of CSSP

#24 ismosi

ismosi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

I have a 100-foot extension cord (and many shorter) that I've used at Winter Star Party, where they have power available in 'towers' similar to those in your picture. I can also bring an 'octopus' to make sharing the, I assume limited, number of physical outlets on the tower.

Thanks for posting the pic.

This is the area where imagers would tend to set up, I presume?

#25 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

I have a 100-foot extension cord (and many shorter) that I've used at Winter Star Party, where they have power available in 'towers' similar to those in your picture. I can also bring an 'octopus' to make sharing the, I assume limited, number of physical outlets on the tower.

Thanks for posting the pic.

This is the area where imagers would tend to set up, I presume?

I think there are 8 outlets on each.

Imagers are welcome anywhere on the field, but the southwest end gives the best view of the south. Also, expect 'death' if your computer is too bright, so have a cover or something! :cool:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics