Jove w/GRS

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

Man, the GRS region is just so hard to get right. The north is interesting, it's changed so much in 3 weeks. I thought I was viewing LRS-1 and tried hard to see it. Turns out, it's way ahead of the GRS and on the preceding limb. That's why I just could not see WSZ, either. Man, been a while. That segmented dark cloud is another feature, but quite nice regardless.

Try as I might, no ovals tonight. Well, except the trio which came around as I was finishing up. They resolved nicely.

The EZ was kind of interesting, especially with what looked to be a snaking festoon near the preceding limb. And the SSTeB had something to offer besides ovals. The STB near the preceding limb was interesting, too. That feature used to be closer to the GRS.

Primarily I wanted to see how far the wake had progresses. It's really sticking out there nicely. The trailing side really doesn't have much of a saw tooth, but it was quite nice. The brighter tops appeared to rain down. The SEB southern border has a weak undulation to it, but I still feel like I'm missing that little extra zing. Just not seeing it even in Ant I and II. It'll come, just gotta be there when it does.

More later, it's late.

Attached Files

#2 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

Norme,
Your rendering of the GRS and SEB is just stunning. Looks really good. You caught a few festoons as well.

Fine Work.

Ken

#3 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

Nice work Norme - particularly with the snake. That the SEB preceding the GRS is opening up is interesting.

Pete

#4 christheman200

christheman200

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

Very nice!
This encapsulates the view through my C90 last night at 142x.

#5 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Huntington, NY, USA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

Wonderful work...
Randolph

#6 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

Thanks, everyone. I'd really love to get it exactly right. Yea, the GRS turned out pretty well.

Chris, congratulations on a super view in your C90. Maybe sketch it sometime? :grin:

#7 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:10 AM

Hi Norme,

Great sketch of the GRS!

I was wondering, what make of 150mm do you use and what EP to get this kind of detail?

:grin:

-stray-

#8 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:22 AM

Mark, I have the Orion 150mm MCT with a secondary baffle mod, but don't read too much into the mod. Normally I used a Barlowed 18mm HD Ortho (~170x), but lately been using an 8mm TMB II (240x.) Its' kind of nice.

I think more so than equipment, it's tropical seeing and transparency that really help (or hinder.) Couple that with an hour of really observing Jupiter closely and trusting those fleeting glimpses that leads to detail. Of course, when your scope is cooled and collimated, it offers you the best views possible.

So, it's no doubt a nice scope, descent eyepiece, etc., but even they cannot compete with less than good seeing. Some day, though, aperture fever may be calling your name. It's rang me up many times. :)

#9 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:40 AM

Norme, that snaking festoon is ridiculous! It was the first thing my eye went to. Okay, second. It's hard to avoid the stare of the GRS. On that note, there is some solid detail present in the GRS. in fact, it does look a little like an eyeball.

Back to the NTeB, it's definitely getting more interesting lately, or so it seems. Your "backside" observation from a day earlier shows the "eyeliner" look. This side has more of a faded and elongated equal sign going on. Pretty cool.

I miss Jupiter. Glad you are finally getting some.

#10 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:09 AM

Yea, Jason, At first it appeared to sweep sharply back along the EB. Then a small down turn was noted. Later, a bit of an extension shows up. End result: a snaking festoon. Still gotta see if someone imaged it and what it really looks like. :grin:

Man, after setting the bar higher in some end of the year observations, I'm feeling like I let myself down. But, in the end, it was all I could garner from Jove. I need to appreciate that, work a little harder, and hope for a better session. Surely it will come. :ooo:

Well, there happens to be one in the imaging forum that should be the same festoon a few days prior. It does kind of snake around (just ahead of the GRS.) :grin:

#11 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

• Loc: York, England

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

it is a lovely image, I am really enjoying your style Norme, and you're capturing some lovely fine detail too.

I have found that it's not always possible to see a comparison image of Jupiter to see if you got this detail or that festoon right because they change in a day or two, and if no-one was out at the right time under decent skies then the detail is different by the time you find an image of the right area. Especially in the EZ and equatorial belts. It keeps things fun though!

#12 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:32 AM

As usual, a very detailed Jupiter. Good work Norme.

Andre.

#13 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:10 AM

Chris, that's true, it does keep it fun. You're sketches and observations belong on the top shelf.

Andre, thank you. Hey, are there days you sometimes feel as if you might have squeezed a little more observing the sun?

#14 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

very nice jup sketch, good color and detail, thanks for sharing.

#15 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

you mean they are X-rated?! :bigblush:

#16 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

seriously though. the more I look at this drawing the more I see in it.

The SEB proceeding and following the GRS is recognisable from the sketch I made a week ago, but it has evolved its shape since then, as referenced above.
I love the folded rift in the NEB and the fine lines in the NTB.

Also, I have realised that my laptop monitor doesn't do the subtle colour justice, if I tilt my screen away a bit then suddenly the EZ and the tropical zones almost come alive with subtle hues and shading.
lovely delicate work.

#17 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

Norme,

A beautiful sketch with great flowing cloud details and a fine capture of the GRS.
You make this look easier than it is. Stunning.

Frank :)

#18 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

Norme,

Nice sketch of Jupiter & the GRS :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#19 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

Norme,

My favorite on this sketch is the EQZ. Love those giant festoons. I see you picked up the slight darkening of the GRS towards the center. That prominent dark notch in the preceding SEBs has been around for a while now, well depicted in your sketch.

Glad you got some time in on Jupiter. Dean

#20 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

Dean, yea the activity in the STrZ and STeZ preceding the GRS is interesting, Paul grabbed a better view of it. That notch is kind of tough, I don't notice it often. The festooning was nice. Thanks for commenting...had 4 sketch attempts aborted lately due to clouds. Last night's attempt was stunning with BA coming around. The STB is very dark and molted at this meridian. Beautiful.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics