New supernova in M99!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

Yep, that's right folks, there's another one gone kaboom in a Messier galaxy! This time, it's M99. The SN is still faint, around mag 17, but it should brighten considerably in the coming weeks.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#2 george golitzin

george golitzin

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

must be some kind of record! gonna have to stay up late (or get up early) for this one, though. thanks for the alert, Thomas.

-geo.

#3 IVM

IVM

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

David Bishop's page says m15.4, who knows though in what band. Thanks a lot, Thomas - I will give it a try tonight. I am at an inn near my dark site hoping for it to clear in the next hours so I could observe till morning. It is 0F though with some wind ;)

#4 Niels2011

Niels2011

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:25 AM

Thanks Thomas, it comes into view about midnight from my garden, so it could be possible with luck and clear skies. For me it needs to brighten a bit, which is okay because there is a bad forecast for several days here in the UK. Supernovae in Messier galaxies must be a bit like buses, if I still smoked it might be worth lighting up sometimes!

#5 IVM

IVM

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:18 AM

Could not see it with my 12" SCT and Pentax 8-24 zoom (up to ~360x) in excellent transparency and bad seeing. Photographically the SN seems to be in or very near a compact HII region and in a general enhancement at the base of the two smaller arms. I saw only the large enhancement, mostly in the outer of these two arms, with no condensation toward the SN position. Tomorrow seeing may be only slightly better.

#6 IVM

IVM

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:52 AM

Just tried again - again nothing.

#7 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

As of today this SN is listed on the Bright Supernova web page. Currently listing it as 15.4 mag. Here is the BSN link to the location in the galaxy:

M 99 Supernova

How exciting! bright SNs in M 82, 99 and NGC 3448.

#8 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

No hope of trying from here this weekend. Clouds, wind advisory and slight chance of rain Fri & Saturday nights. I know how Eeyore feels. :snowedin: !@#$%

#9 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

Just tried again - again nothing.

Ivan please stay with it if you can. I'm interested in your results.

Pete

#10 Gendo

Gendo

Skylab

• Loc: Rexburg, ID

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:46 AM

Yeah, it seems kinda rare to have two supernovae within about 50 million light years at the same time, and also another one at 70 mly.

#11 IVM

IVM

Apollo

• -----

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

Before it clears here again (I had not observed for two months before this week) we will find out if it brightens considerably or if it is an obscured one. In the better photos that appear now it is not so much in the innermost arm as in the dark lane between it and the middle arm. On the one hand it means that it is closer to the brightening in the middle arm that I saw this week (not before as I remember, although I might not go deliberately for details so close to the core before, my last sketch is here:

http://2.bp.blogspot...IxfbMfVw/s16...

On the other hand the SN position in the better new photos means that it may be an obscured one that has already reached its peak.

#12 sgottlieb

sgottlieb

Viking 1

• Loc: SF Bay area

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

I was successful in spotting the supernova in M99 last night (Fri, Jan 31) with my 24-inch in fairly dark skies (SQM 21.4). Nothing was seen at 200x, but bumping up the magnification to 375x, a very faint "star" was visible just southwest of the core. I most likely would not have noticed it without knowing the location beforehand.

I would guess a magnitude in the 15.5 range is reasonable and coupled with the location, makes this a tough target -- particularly in comparison to the relatively easy one in NGC 3448 and the blazing orange-red SN in M82. That was three supernovae viewed within a few minutes!

#13 IVM

IVM

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

Excellent observation.

EDIT: Thinking again about it, these "simultaneous" supernovae are colossal, ultrathin spherical shells of electromagnetic disturbance that intersect in our Solar System!

#14 RolandosCY

RolandosCY

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:57 AM

Well, with a bi of delay, here is my observation of SN2014L in M99 with my 18", from Mosfiloti, Cyprus, under SQM 21.0 skies back on February 4th, 2014. It was a hard observation, especially taking into account that M99 was still halfway up the sky when I tried it (could't wait more due to a band of high clouds moving in from the west, had to make the best of the situation).

At first and using various magnifications I could not see it. I made sure I did not know of its exact position before observing (to avoid being biased), I only knew it was over the glow of the galaxy near the core. The transparency was quite good but the seeing was so and so, making it hard to go above 350X. At the end, I settled for a magnification of 275X, and waited patiently. Finally, a pinpoint of faint light emerged quite near the nucleus. The more I observed, the more this tiny pinpoint of light appeared steady. I would say I could hold it for about 70% of time, when it was visible I could hold it with direct vision as well, when it disappeared I could not see it at all. I know the bad seeing was the cause of disappearance, whenever the tiny star disappeared the stars near M99 would turn into little blobs, and detail on the galaxy itself would wash out.

I made a drawing with the tiny star, and then in the morning I eagerly checked photos of the S/N. Yeap! I had it precisely at the correct position! Yet another SN was bagged, making it 3 for 2014, and 3 in the same session!

P.S. In the drawing the S/N appears brighter than it really was in the eyepiece, I was afraid that if I made it as faint as it was over the galaxy then it would not be registered during the process!

Attached Files

#15 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

I was successful in spotting the supernova in M99 last night (Fri, Jan 31) with my 24-inch in fairly dark skies (SQM 21.4). Nothing was seen at 200x, but bumping up the magnification to 375x, a very faint "star" was visible just southwest of the core. I most likely would not have noticed it without knowing the location beforehand.

I would guess a magnitude in the 15.5 range is reasonable and coupled with the location, makes this a tough target -- particularly in comparison to the relatively easy one in NGC 3448 and the blazing orange-red SN in M82. That was three supernovae viewed within a few minutes!

Yep - did that last night in few minutes here :grin:

#16 IVM

IVM

Apollo

• -----

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:23 PM

Great observation of the SN along with the two main spiral segments.

#17 IVM

IVM

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:45 PM

It is now reported to be mag. 14.4 - a whole magnitude brighter, if not more, than at the start. It may be March however before I get another chance to observe in good conditions.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics