Photo

Book, Acquainted with the Night

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 John Anthony

John Anthony

Viking 1

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

Acquainted with the Night, Excursions through the world after dark, by Christopher Dewdney.

This is not a book about astronomy, it is a fantastic read about the place astronomers call home.

From the inside cover, "as you read these pages, your life will change, because the way you see half of it will change. The night we're all familiar with will emerge as a fresh thing, deeper, fuller, older, younger, more evocative, more intimate, larger, more spectacular and, yes, more magical, and much more thrilling."

One of my favorite books, what makes it so enjoyable is its ability to cover so many topics when it comes to the time we call night.

"A portrait of darkness in all its forms"

I highly recommend it.

#2 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:44 AM

I looked it up, is the entire book about astronomy, or just one chapter?

#3 bumm

bumm

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

Allow me to interrupt... This is a book about night in general, without an emphasis on astronomy. Many people, like me, just love the night, and that may be what led to an interest in the night sky.
Another very good book about night is "At Day's Close" subtitled "Night in Times Past," by A Roger Erich. It's a very wide ranging historical look at night in times past.
Marty

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics