Hummmmm, what could this be?

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#51 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Aurora

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

Did someone put an aperture stop just behind the objective or is that the way the cell is designed ? It looks like it as been stopped down by almost an inch in aperture.

- Dave

#52 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Aurora

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

After looking at the original thread by Brian, the cardbaord tube baffles may have slid forward in shipping.

- Dave

#53 photiost

photiost

Viking 1

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:06 PM

OK I dug up some images of the 4in Edmund that a member brought to our outings last summer.

As I said previously I "believe" this is the original mount that came with the scope.

Also note the Cell and focuser color

I remember this scope gave some very impressive images of Saturn.

Nice classic long f/l instruments !
:cool:

Attached Files

#54 photiost

photiost

Viking 1

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

Attached Files

#55 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

• Loc: Corpus Christi, TX.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

Terra why don't you check out Scope Stuff. Scope Stuff has a pretty good assortment of ring sizes.

#56 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

Noticed the same thing. Baffle must have slid in shipping. Every refractor I build, I seem to fret about the baffles.

#57 AstroPhys

AstroPhys

Viking 1

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

Very nice. Congratulations!
So what do snowflakes look like through it? :coldday:
Above zero F tonight for the first time in a week.
I've been watching crows and treetop squirrel nests today about a half mile away. At least I was able to play with eyepieces and other stuff. That was nice.

#58 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: VA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

Terra

Is that black plastic dew shield original. I have a red tasco like that with that black dewshield. I almost tossed it.

#59 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:35 PM

Now, I could swear I remember you posting just a few weeks ago that you were done collecting for a while, that you had the classics you wanted, and were indeed downsizing........

"I was a scopeaholic, I am a scopeaholic, I will always be a scopeaholic....there is indeed no hope for me......"

Nice one, though.....and it matches the tablecloth, too!
R

#60 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: VA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:44 PM

Oh this is only the beginning for Terra

#61 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:20 PM

The baffle is attached to a cylinder that fits inside the tube. It had indeed slipped forward. It is now back in place, however my plan all along has been to rebaffle after I do a ray tracing. The new baffles will be made from thin aluminum plate cut on a CNC milling machine and their will be more in number. The dew shield is the one that was shipped to Brian when he received the scope but I don't know if it's original. It is not plastic, it's aluminum. However I plan on making a longer classic one out of brass.

#62 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Riverview, FL, USA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:47 PM

Wow, Terra! Access to a CNC milling machine is indeed a blessing! The most recent baffles were made from Lexan and cut using a router with a V-groove bit, attached to a Jasper jig. Worked great. But, using a CNC machine to make yours! ...that's AWESOME! Super precise !!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Mel

#63 actionhac

actionhac

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:37 AM

Its the original dew shield. Its looks all original.
I don't know of a way to pin down a date though because Edmund never changed the OTA. Except the very earliest telescopes used a single finder mount stalk rather than 2 rings.

The cardboard baffle tubes are held in place by the mounting studs that normally are used to bolt the tube to the saddle of a Edmund mount. Without the 2 bolts the baffle tubes can slide around in there.
I prefer using rings so the tube can be moved to balance. You can use short screws to hold the baffle tubes as shown here:

Attached Files

#64 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for the info on the baffles Robert. I plan on getting them back in place today until I can re baffle the tube and your tip is quite helpful. Actually, those dew shields are quite nice also. On more inspection, I rather like mine. They are quite sturdy and slip fit quite well. Very nice aluminum construction. I think I will maybe just have mine re-anodized as the paint is a bit rough.

Thanks Mel. I have access to CNC milling machines and CNC lathes and spot welder's along with the older analog equipment at the college where I thought for the last few years as a visiting professor. They have a manufacturing technology program there and my best friend in the faculty runs it. We were both in the same division ( physical sciences, mathematics and engineering) and worked together on several projects. That's where I have made,objective cells, eyepiece adapters, counter-weights, etc.

#65 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:52 AM

Are you thinking of going with more brass trim over-all, not just the focuser?

Our club has an 8" Brandt at our observatory that the builder/donor did in red with all brass trim. It is a stunning telescope.

Nice addition to your collection, Terra!

#66 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

I haven't decided Chuck. I do have a section of brass that slips perfectly over the finder's dew shield. I want to paint the finder red to match the OTA. And I have the brass drawtube you see in the photos. I may make knurled brass wheels for the original focuser (keeping the original wheels of course). If i do a brass dew shield it will be slip fit like the original. I may also make a counter-weight assembly with brass counterweights. I would like to be able to make this look like a red/black/ and brass Victorian telescope that I can convert directly back into the original in the matter of a few minutes. I see lots of possibilities for this telescope and intend to have a lot of fun with it.

#67 macpurity

macpurity

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Quad Cities, Iowa, USA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

Here is the description from the 1968 Edmund catalog. Sweet acquisition, Terra!

Attached Files

#68 madeline

madeline

Viking 1

• Loc: Bloomington, MN

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

Great find Terra!!!

#69 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

Baffles back in place for the time being.

Attached Files

#70 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

Thanks MacP and Madeline. :)

#71 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:44 AM

Thanks Mel. I have access to CNC milling machines and CNC lathes and spot welder's along with the older analog equipment at the college where I thought for the last few years as a visiting professor. They have a manufacturing technology program there and my best friend in the faculty runs it. We were both in the same division ( physical sciences, mathematics and engineering) and worked together on several projects. That's where I have made,objective cells, eyepiece adapters, counter-weights, etc.

Wow! If you don't mind... With resources, credentials and skill sets like that, the significant other in your life must be feeling mighty special and fortunate; let alone lucky. Hope I am not pushing the TOA limits. :crazy: :smirk: :grin:

Mel

#72 albert1

albert1

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:03 AM

Very nice, Terra - congratulations on the newest member of the family.

I know you had your heart set on one. I'm glad it didn't take long at all.

Enjoy!!! :jump:

#73 photiost

photiost

Viking 1

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

Baffles back in place for the time being.

Looks nice !

:cool:

#74 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:34 AM

Hey Terra!

Any updates on the scope to report of late? Been a while since your last update regarding the baffles.

Mel

#75 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:11 PM

The baffles are back in place. Did a couple of tests on an antenna light several miles from my house as well as a very distant street light from my deck just before the ice came and it all looks fine. I will leave the original ones in place as they seem to be fine until when and if issues dictate. I did get rings and a rail for it and built a counter-balance weight/rod system. Now all I need is for the weather to cooperate.

We are in the midst of the February thaw today and hopefully, all the ice and snow will be gone by tomorrow. I've been unable to set either this, the Goto, or the 4" Unitron for any serious viewing as of yet. It has either been too cold, too overcast, or the ground governed in snow and ice (my backyard observing square is unnavigable still by anyone but the dogs). Spring is coming though. :)

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics