• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 hokkaido53

hokkaido53

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

The New Mexico Transportation Commission on Thursday unanimously voted to allow electronic billboards along federal highways in New Mexico, but restricted them to more developed areas within the boundaries of municipalities, towns and villages.

Read complete article here.

#2 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

Aw, how cute... the Commission's making an effort to sound all reasonable and stuff. Of course, "restricting" in this case actually means "allowing"; see how that works? "Newspeak" in action...

Electronic billboards: doubleplus good!

#3 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

Quote: "Outdoor advertising representatives .... deny that the signs are a hazard."

Either these signs are different than those I've seen, or these guys don't know what they are talking about. I've found them *very* hazardous when confronted with one or more of them while driving at night on an Interstate. It is difficult to keep one's eyes on the road with one of these things flashing away at the side of the road. They are just to distracting for drivers.

#4 EricCCD

EricCCD

Vanguard

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

There's an online petition set up appealing to the NM officials to reverse this decision. If interested, please consider signing up here.

#5 seryddwr

seryddwr

Innocent Bystander

• Loc: La-la land.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

Signed it.

#6 hokkaido53

hokkaido53

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:12 AM

There's an online petition set up appealing to the NM officials to reverse this decision. If interested, please consider signing up here.

Signed it.

#7 MDB

MDB

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Idaho

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:04 PM

Signed it! Thanks for the heads up.

Mike

#8 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

It's tax revenue verses less light pollution. How many are
there of us as to the rest? My PVS-2 eyepiece should be here by Monday. The 8079HP is done. I here image intensifiers calling are you going to answer or wait to see
what happens? You Know what's going to happen, nothing.
I know this sucks but it's not over. Image intensifiers
are the answer. The 8079HP is heavy but the PVS-7 isn't.
About 9-11oz I believe. Just cost a whole lot more. Look at it as a long term{big scope investment}one time never need to by a{that big heavy scope} scope again investment.
Read the reviews by StarStuff in the Archives Video and Electronics forum under "filters for IIE" and other such post about intensifiers. There's lot of information just go through each page like I did.
The 8079HP is just the beginning for me. There's a PVS-7
with my name on it. I can't wait. De Lorme

#9 barasits

barasits

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:44 AM

I think that I shall never see
a billboard lovely as a tree.
Perhaps, unless the billboards fall,
I'll never see a tree at all.--Ogden Nash

Ogden was an oldthinker. Telescopes are doubleplus bad--they encourage ownlife and keep you away from prolefeed.

I signed the petition.

Geoff (destined for Room 101)

#10 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

Signed it!

#11 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

Plusgood, Geoff. When I work newspeak into an appropriate discussion on CN it seems to pass overhead without notice or comment every single time.

Considering current events, now would be an excellent time for many to become acquainted with G.O.'s vision.

#12 mak17

mak17

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

Signed the petition.

#13 precaud

precaud

Apollo

• Loc: north central New Mexico

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:52 AM

Signed. One wonders if the guys who approved this are simply afraid of the dark.

#14 gene 4181

gene 4181

Apollo

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

don't know about the rest of you, but i find the cameras along the roads more disturbing. they can't be there to monitor the road conditions, cause even in the worst condition, the plows and salt trucks don;t magically appear. what was it franklin said, something about security and then having neither. how many of those roadside flashing do-dads have hi-res cameras?

#15 hokkaido53

hokkaido53

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

Signed. One wonders if the guys who approved this are simply afraid of the dark.

According to the Federal Bureau of Land Management's recent Resource Management Plan for Río Grande del Norte National Monument (between Santa Fe and Taos), there is a provision for a dark skies area (sort of):

"Night skies

"The Monument plan should provide measures to protect night skies from artificial lighting.

"Night skies are an important part of the Monument and should be protected from artificial lighting.

"The Monument plan should state that night skies are a valuable resource for the Monument and that every effort should be made to protect those skies from artificial lighting, and degradation from outside sources. Best practices for lighting set forth by the International Dark Skies Association should be followed in the Monument.

"The Monument plan should prohibit construction of street lights or parking area lights within the Monument to avoid light pollution.

"The Monument plan should be consistent with the New Mexico Night Sky Ordinance."

That last sentences bothers me a little, since the New Mexico Night Sky Ordinance allows for electronic signs on the Federal Highways.

The full report is available here:
http://www.blm.gov/p...taos_plannin...

- Roy

#16 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

Could it be that the sign makers have a hand in this?

I'd guess it's a very good possibility.

This is the way of things.

#17 aatt

aatt

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:47 AM

Signed it.

#18 sickfish

sickfish

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Watertown Ma.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

signed it :)

#19 hokkaido53

hokkaido53

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:00 AM

Vintage Route 66 neon lights restored

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – Route 66 through a section of downtown is a lot brighter Friday night.

Vintage Route 66 neon signs have been restored along two blocks near 4th Street Mall as part of a project to revamp Albuquerque’s 15-mile stretch of the historic route.

City officials are encouraging businesses to add neon lights to lighten up Central Avenue.

http://krqe.com/2014...ights-restored/

Ah,nostalgia! :p

- Roy in Taos

#20 GJJim

GJJim

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western CO

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:20 AM

Last night I drove past one of the new, full size, LED billboards. It appears they are selling advertising time on these displays to multiple retailers, and that makes a lot of sense given the poor state of the local economy. A traditional printed billboard would cost a business $3K-$5K for a month whereas the electronic version can be billed in smaller increments based on total time allotted for the ad, or the time of day the ad is viewed.

It was early evening when I saw it, and I was somewhat impressed that the sign company had actually programmed the display to reduce the overall brightness and better match the ambient light.

#21 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:18 PM

Last night I drove past one of the new, full size, LED billboards. It appears they are selling advertising time on these displays to multiple retailers, and that makes a lot of sense given the poor state of the local economy. A traditional printed billboard would cost a business $3K-$5K for a month whereas the electronic version can be billed in smaller increments based on total time allotted for the ad, or the time of day the ad is viewed.

It was early evening when I saw it, and I was somewhat impressed that the sign company had actually programmed the display to reduce the overall brightness and better match the ambient light.

Maybe we can pay them to put up an anti-LP add!!?? :smirk:

#22 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:15 PM

cut the cable!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics