14 replies to this topic

#1 OwlsNSpace

OwlsNSpace

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Fredericksburg, Virginia, USA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

Hello,

I'm new here and new to astronomy. Having been interested in the topic for years, I've finally secured a telescope of my own (a Zhumell Z12).

My wife got me the Z12 for Christmas this year. I'd asked for the scope based on some recommendations from friends who'd been into astronomy for years. They said it would be a scope that I could grow into for quite some time.

I used it for the first time about 15 days ago in my backyard. Light pollution isn't bad where we are. Within the first two minutes, I'd found Jupiter and it's moons. Being a novice at this point, I'll gladly accept any recommendations on things to look for or even tips on basic operation of the scope.

On that topic, I'm in need of recommendations for finderscopes. The original 8x50 finderscope came damaged. The company wanted us to return the entire scope to replace the part which I found unreasonable. They ended up giving a discount on the order. Anyway, I'm now looking for something to replace it. Based on reviews and price range, I'm leaning towards an Antares finderscope. I have not decided on whether to stay with the 50mm or go with the 80mm. Again, I welcome any recommendations.

That's it for now. I look forward to talking interacting with you all.

#2 David Castillo

David Castillo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carmel Valley, Ca

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

Welcome to the Forum, O. Your wife's choice in scopes and men are to be commended! The Anteres 7X50mm scope will throw a teeny bit wider field than your original finder. The 12X80mm Anteres will run twice the price and offer a brighter but smaller image, but will cost you twice as much. I'd go with the 7X50 just to make star hopping a bit easier.
------
Dave

#3 fivestring

fivestring

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mt Holly, NC

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

Welcome to CN!

As for finderscopes, I have a Telrad on order.

#4 Billytk

Billytk

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Geneva, Fl.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

You have a great scope! Most people with a scope like yours use 2 finder scopes: A Telrad to get them close to the area they want to view then a RACI like the one you had to more accurately center the object before going to the eyepiece.
The next object I would view if you have not already would be the Orion Nebula.
Think about getting some moer eyepieces too. The ones that came with your scope are not great. Better eyepieces will increase your comfort, enjoyment, and views.

#5 thomas68

thomas68

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North west Indiana

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

Welcome to the forum, that's a great scope!

Tom

#6 DTH

DTH

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

Welcome to CN and grats on the scope. Turn left at Orion is a good book to help with learning the night sky and finding objects. A good observing chair is a great piece of equipment to have.

#7 labmand

labmand

Messenger

• Loc: Michigan USA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

Welcome, Orion has a great 50mm raci finder, I love mine. Don't think I would go with the 80mm. Also a telrad or a decent red dot will be a great combo.Have some fun looking up.

#8 hargy

hargy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lawrenceville, GA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

Welcome to CN. Glad you had fun with your scope.

#9 ylem

ylem

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Entropy, Monroe, NC

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

Welcome to CN, nice scope.

I second a 50mm raci, I think Orions is on sale, BUT I highly recommend a red dot or a Telrad also, those raci's are a pita to align and use with out.

#10 rlmxracer

rlmxracer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Motocross Mecca (Riverside) , CA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:06 PM

Welcome to CN. You have a great scope that you won't out grow.
I'd get a 8x50 RACI finder, Telrad, and last but not least an observing chair.

#11 Billytk

Billytk

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Geneva, Fl.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

Also get Stellarium for your computer. It' a great program and it's free.

#12 KWB

KWB

Hubble

• Loc: Westminster,Co Elev.5400 feet

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

Hello,

I have not decided on whether to stay with the 50mm or go with the 80mm. Again, I welcome any recommendations.

That's it for now. I look forward to talking interacting with you all.

Hello and welcome to CN :)

For all the reasons stated in this thread,an 8 X 50 finder scope is plenty useful and IMO,an optimum sized finder for your scope when combined with a decent low power eyepiece such as the 2 inch, 30mm. Beware that an 80mm sized finder will probably cause serious balance issues with that size Zhumell,and that is best avoided.

#13 lamplight

lamplight

Vanguard

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

congrats on the scope. a 12" is a beauty. can't add anything except agree on the recommendations of a 9x50 raci (or thereabouts), a telrad or rdf, turn left at orion, and a observing chair. and eyepieces. ;) have fun.

#14 LindseySS

LindseySS

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:17 AM

Nice scope! I just joined this forum, myself. I'd go with others who say a Telrad or some similar type of finder would be great. Many people just use them and don't use an optical finder. For optical finders, I'd think 50mm would be plenty for now and would be lighter-- therefore easier to balance-- than an 80mm. Cheaper, too, of course.

#15 TexasRed

TexasRed

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Texas

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:42 AM

A 9X50 RACI makes a great finder, but it's not much help in initially pointing your scope to the general area you're interested in. For that, just shine a green laser pointer into the eyepiece of the finder. You'll get a nice green line of light coming out the front showing you just where your scope is aiming without bending over, craning your neck and trying to sight up the finder.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics