Photo

Ioptron ZEQ25GTpolar scope LED ight went dead.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 alexccmeister

alexccmeister

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

Hi all,

Need a bit of help. I was trying to realign my polar scope on my ZEQ25 but after finishing the job, the led light suddenly wouldn't work. I can tell there is power coming from the mount but the light just won't turn on. I am wondering whether I might have fried the led somehow. Has anyone had this happened to them? Is there a replacement led? Thanks.

Alex

#2 alexccmeister

alexccmeister

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

Saw a replacement at Ioptron website. Wow! $30 for this little sucker.

#3 Seldom

Seldom

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

I had two go bad on me, but the third's been a charm. Email iOptron. They are good about replacements, and have apparently fixed whatever the problem was with the early ones.
To check the cable, I verified the output voltage over the full range of the light reticle light controls. It went from 0V to ~12V.

#4 Seanem44

Seanem44

Apollo

• Loc: Woodbridge, VA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

Seems to me that if it was a manufacturer defect, Ioptron should be willing to fix it on their dime.

#5 alexccmeister

alexccmeister

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

Ah... OK. looks like this is a common issue then. So sensitive this led light. I have written to ioptron asking about it. Hopefully they can provide a replaement FOC. I wonder if the led can be replaced. I had a look inside the capsule and its just the led on a simple circuit board.

I also noticed my RA axis has a fair bit of play. Paul Chase's mod coming up next...

#6 alexccmeister

alexccmeister

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:09 PM

@seldom, will check the power output with a meter tomorrow.

#7 Seanem44

Seanem44

Apollo

• Loc: Woodbridge, VA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

Yeah, mine has issues as well. Sometimes I have to unplug and plug it back in.

Still the best polar scope I have ever used.

#8 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

They replace them for free.

#9 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:37 PM

Definitely email iOptron support, the mount has a 2 year warranty on defects in material or workmanship. The LED is covered, and there have been some issues with them failing.

In the meantime, if you need illumination, just remove the plastic cover, and unscrew the illuminator led taking care not to lose the small nylon washer. Once the illuminator is removed, you can shine a small red light, or any color up into the housing bore to illuminate the reticle temporarily.

Need a bit of help. I was trying to realign my polar scope on my ZEQ25

What were you re-aligning? Just focus or leveling the reticle?

The polar scope can't be aligned to the mount since the reticle adjustment screws are buried in the mount housing when it's installed.

Good luck...Paul

#10 Seldom

Seldom

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:28 AM

and unscrew the illuminator led taking care not to lose the small nylon washer.

Save the washer in a secure place just in case, but replace the washer with a couple of small "O" rings. That way the illuminator won't come loose.

#11 alexccmeister

alexccmeister

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:03 AM

Hi Paul,

I am not going to use the PS for alignment as I can't see NCP from where I am. I am at 4.57 degree latitude. But I couldn't stand seeing the reticle cross hair in the PS tilted to one side. So I played around with it. Managed to aligned the reticle but against the mount its out of alignment. I don't believe it was aligned out of the factory.

I saw your mod on the PS. Hope you will be making the ring stopper on offer to ZEQ users. Would definitely make it easier to align the reticle when its outside of the housing.

Was wondering if you replace the locking set screw for the PS, and since you pulled the PS out from its housing. Is there alot of play when you tighten the locking screw? I am guessing the felt tape is to help hold the end in place.

Hi Seldom,

Will do that. Thanks.

P.S. I received an email from Ioptron and they will replace the led light for free.

#12 alexccmeister

alexccmeister

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:12 AM

Hi Paul,

I followed your youtube instruction on tuning the RA worm gear mesh. The hinge is well seated and there is no side to side play. However I am still getting some play in the RA. When I try to turn the RA axis, I can see the cam being lifted up off the worm gear. And the tension screw is all the way in. I have in fact also use another small spring to increase the force on the cam. I am not seeing any problem though when I slew the mount so I am not too concern with the slight play. Looking at your video I noticed you put quite a bit of force on the RA and the axis didn't budge. I have read there is another guy having the same issue even after doing the mod.

Just thought to share. Thanks.

Alex

#13 boandpokey

boandpokey

Ranger 4

• Loc: Auburndale, Fl

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:54 AM

my led never worked I live without it

#14 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

Was wondering if you replace the locking set screw for the PS, and since you pulled the PS out from its housing. Is there alot of play when you tighten the locking screw? I am guessing the felt tape is to help hold the end in place.

I replaced the standard set screw retaining the polar scope with a longer, 8mm long socket cap screw, since it's now holding on the tube instead of on the large diameter of the polar scope.

Three pieces of self-adhesive felt tape, 120 degrees apart centers and holds the front tube in the RA bore and a 0-ring
holds and centers the polar scope at the reticle end. There is no play. Tightening the socket set screw prevents the polar scope from turning radially in the RA bore after you level the reticle.

As far as a bit of play in the RA housing, most of it can be adjusted out by careful adjustment of the housing hinge screws. A bit of movement is no problem as long as the mount tracks well.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics