Photo

102mm ES APO Refractor Imaging on Atlas or Sirius?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jakecru

jakecru

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

I have just recently purchased an Explore Scientific ed102 Refractor Telescope(11 lbs) :jump: . I will be using it for astrophotography with a Canon EOS T3i (1.25 lbs). In the Future I will be adding a autoguider either the Orion Shortube 80mm guider package (4.5lbs) or an AT72ed with Orion Autoguider (around 7 total pounds). If I am calculating everything correct, the total setup should weigh 17-19.5 lbs. I like the price and the portability of the Orion Sirius EQ-G, but I am afraid it will not be able to track well enough with this weight for astrophotography. Could the Sirius EQ-G handle this weight, or should I spend some more $$ on an Atlas. Are there any other more affordable options that would go good with this setup? Thanks

#2 BenB85

BenB85

Explorer 1

• Loc: Colorado and Alaska USA

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

I would look for a used atlas, for $800-$900. I had an altas for the es127 and 80mm on a dual losmandy saddle and it worked great.

For not much more, you get alot more versatility.

#3 PatHolland

PatHolland

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Clever, Missouri

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

I have used my ES 102mm APO exclusively with my Orion Sirius mount for imaging with no problems. No issues with weight (used my SX H18 w/filterwheel and OAG assembly). My guess is, the whole enchilada was about 16-17 pounds on the mount. Here is one of the images I did with the setup. I have the Atlas too but it has never been unboxed as of yet, the Sirius is very lightweight portable, which is important to me.

Attached Files

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics