Photo

102mm ES APO Refractor Imaging on Atlas or Sirius?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jakecru

jakecru

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

I have just recently purchased an Explore Scientific ed102 Refractor Telescope(11 lbs) :jump: . I will be using it for astrophotography with a Canon EOS T3i (1.25 lbs). In the Future I will be adding a autoguider either the Orion Shortube 80mm guider package (4.5lbs) or an AT72ed with Orion Autoguider (around 7 total pounds). If I am calculating everything correct, the total setup should weigh 17-19.5 lbs. I like the price and the portability of the Orion Sirius EQ-G, but I am afraid it will not be able to track well enough with this weight for astrophotography. Could the Sirius EQ-G handle this weight, or should I spend some more $$ on an Atlas. Are there any other more affordable options that would go good with this setup? Thanks

#2 BenB85

BenB85

Explorer 1

• Loc: Colorado and Alaska USA

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

I would look for a used atlas, for $800-$900. I had an altas for the es127 and 80mm on a dual losmandy saddle and it worked great.

For not much more, you get alot more versatility.

#3 PatHolland

PatHolland

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Clever, Missouri

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

I have used my ES 102mm APO exclusively with my Orion Sirius mount for imaging with no problems. No issues with weight (used my SX H18 w/filterwheel and OAG assembly). My guess is, the whole enchilada was about 16-17 pounds on the mount. Here is one of the images I did with the setup. I have the Atlas too but it has never been unboxed as of yet, the Sirius is very lightweight portable, which is important to me.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics