ETX-90-PE hard case $41 and some sweat equity

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wd8sbb

wd8sbb

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southwest Ohio

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

We recently purchased a used Meade ETX-90-PE for grab and go. The previous owner had not purchased the hard case, but did keep the scope in the original box.

We recently purchased a used Meade ETX-90-PE for grab and go. The previous owner had not purchased the hard case, but did keep the scope in the original box.

We looked on the net for a case, but weren't finding anything desirable in either design or price. We continued to just keep an eye out for something we could use as a hard case. That something appears to be a used case from Surplus Shed. The item is number M4058, $35 plus $6 shipping. The stock seems to come and go, so not sure how the supply of these may be long term. I say it appears to work because I just received it and am still doing the rework. That will take a while because I am collecting free foam.

The attached picture shows the case as I received it and the case next to the original Meade ETX-90PE box. The case is smaller by about an inch in height, and larger in other directions. The key to being able to use this case for the ETX-90-PE is to rotate the scope while in the case. There is a picture below showing that if the scope is rotated, it actually does not need the extra height.

Our case came with foam in it. The bottom foam was fine, but the top was starting to shed. That will come out. Don't want nasty foam on our optics.

The case is obviously well used and somewhat abused compared to out other scope hard cases. Surplus Shed as always clearly spelled that out. I had to realign the metal band so that it would close easier and engaged the clasp better. I used wooden blocks and a c-clamp to straighten the band. I also used adjustable wrenches to rotate the band so that the clasps could close more secure.

Attached Files

#2 wd8sbb

wd8sbb

Vostok 1

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

The rework for a better closed fit and tighter clasp holding.

Attached Files

#3 wd8sbb

wd8sbb

Vostok 1

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

Height difference when you rotate the scope.

Attached Files

#4 wd8sbb

wd8sbb

Vostok 1

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

The scope in the case. The bottom foam that came with the case was good, so I am reusing it. I found that if you use a 2.5 inch piece of foam at the fork (white foam), and a 1 inch foam under the OTA, you have things level and about right. You need to make sure that when you close the case you are not putting any pressure on the LNT. Using the old lid foam as a guide, it looks like I can cut a hole in the lid's foam to accommodate the LNT and still have 1-1.5 inches before the plastic of the case.

Attached Files

#5 DocFinance

DocFinance

Viking 1

• Loc: Clear Lake, Texas

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:42 AM

Snazzy! I still need to figure out a carrying arrangement for my ETX.

#6 astronomylife

astronomylife

Messenger

• Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, California, US

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

Surplus shed has a 55% off coupon right now.

#7 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• -----
  • Loc: SE MN

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

I bought the case for mine. (not a pe) I will never regret it. It was submerged in 8" of water in that case. Never touched it for 5 years later. Took it apart re-soldered some wires and redistributed the lube. Works great.

#8 latentfuss

latentfuss

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Northern RI

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

Would you be willing to share the coupon code please?

#9 astronomylife

astronomylife

Messenger

• Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, California, US

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

Would you be willing to share the coupon code please?

Coupon Code SS101402

Link to CN post

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics