• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DocFinance

DocFinance

Viking 1

• Loc: Clear Lake, Texas

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

Hi all...

I just dug out my Polaris GEM yesterday, and I'd like to smooth out the bearings without taking it apart. Any ideas? I was think a light machine oil applied at strategic points and allowed to soak in, sort of like putting brake fluid on rusty bolts with a wick.

#2 tybee

tybee

Ranger 4

• Loc: Douglasville, GA

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

If it's seized some aerokroil might help.

#3 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

Are there frozen parts on it? My 1983 Polaris happily trucks along with original lube.

-Rich

#4 DocFinance

DocFinance

Viking 1

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:18 PM

Nah, nothing's frozen. It's smooth, but hard to push. I played with it some today, with a load, and it's smoothing out more all of the time. This one is from a C4.5, so it may be a little newer than '83. I've had it stored carefully with all of the parts, and I bought a C80 after Christmas-it fits perfectly on the original head.

It troubles me greatly that a GEM of comparable value is so expensive today. And it troubles me that I can't find my AC drive corrector. Before I moved out here in '04 I went to Gary Hand and got the polar scope and an AC drive for this beast, and several adapters. I can't wait to use it.

Next big task is woodworking-new tripod legs. The single piece ones from the c4.5 are too short for a refractor. That will be a few hours in the garage.

#5 DocFinance

DocFinance

Viking 1

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

Finally got it out last night with the C80. It's a perfect fit. I've got some cheap aluminum legs on it now, and it's amazingly stable. The alt-az mode is great.

#6 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

I have been a big fan of the Polaris over the years. I have had the thought of selling it many times and thankfully came to my senses and avoided that mistake.

I have the superb Vixen HAL 110 legs on mine, and this really ups the stability.

I also replaced the threaded counterweight shaft with a shaft from a parted out Meade LXD 55 so I could use standard counterweights.

I use this with my SV110ED and heavy binoviewers and a 12 lb counterweight and I had my doubts the mount was up to it, but in practic, it has worked really well!

I used to like the Alt-Az, but mine has a RA motor and I just love traking so much that I never use the Alt-Az mode, but it is nice to have it.

I do love the mount. My favorite GEM in many ways because it is the smallest and lightest GEM I own, and superb for refractors up to maybe the 120ED (would need HAL 130s for that though).

Anyway, it is one of the longest held peieces of gear that I own. Lots of things have come and gone over the decades, but the Polaris is still relevent for people that like tracking.

#7 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:31 AM

I thoroughly regret selling mine for $100. :tonofbricks:

#8 labmand

labmand

Messenger

• Loc: Michigan USA

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

The Polaris mount is a keeper, I have 2, added a alum. Plate
with a vixon shoe, now it's ready for my refractors up to 102mm
Sct up to 6" or my reflectors up to150mm . Stable and light but not that
easy to find if your looking, the c80's a good match.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics