•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Reinvigorating a Polaris mount

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DocFinance

DocFinance

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Clear Lake, Texas

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

Hi all...

I just dug out my Polaris GEM yesterday, and I'd like to smooth out the bearings without taking it apart. Any ideas? I was think a light machine oil applied at strategic points and allowed to soak in, sort of like putting brake fluid on rusty bolts with a wick.

#2 tybee

tybee

Ranger 4

• Loc: Douglasville, GA

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

If it's seized some aerokroil might help.

#3 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

Are there frozen parts on it? My 1983 Polaris happily trucks along with original lube.

-Rich

#4 DocFinance

DocFinance

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:18 PM

Nah, nothing's frozen. It's smooth, but hard to push. I played with it some today, with a load, and it's smoothing out more all of the time. This one is from a C4.5, so it may be a little newer than '83. I've had it stored carefully with all of the parts, and I bought a C80 after Christmas-it fits perfectly on the original head.

It troubles me greatly that a GEM of comparable value is so expensive today. And it troubles me that I can't find my AC drive corrector. Before I moved out here in '04 I went to Gary Hand and got the polar scope and an AC drive for this beast, and several adapters. I can't wait to use it.

Next big task is woodworking-new tripod legs. The single piece ones from the c4.5 are too short for a refractor. That will be a few hours in the garage.

#5 DocFinance

DocFinance

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

Finally got it out last night with the C80. It's a perfect fit. I've got some cheap aluminum legs on it now, and it's amazingly stable. The alt-az mode is great.

#6 Eddgie

Eddgie

Hubble

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

I have been a big fan of the Polaris over the years. I have had the thought of selling it many times and thankfully came to my senses and avoided that mistake.

I have the superb Vixen HAL 110 legs on mine, and this really ups the stability.

I also replaced the threaded counterweight shaft with a shaft from a parted out Meade LXD 55 so I could use standard counterweights.

I use this with my SV110ED and heavy binoviewers and a 12 lb counterweight and I had my doubts the mount was up to it, but in practic, it has worked really well!

I used to like the Alt-Az, but mine has a RA motor and I just love traking so much that I never use the Alt-Az mode, but it is nice to have it.

I do love the mount. My favorite GEM in many ways because it is the smallest and lightest GEM I own, and superb for refractors up to maybe the 120ED (would need HAL 130s for that though).

Anyway, it is one of the longest held peieces of gear that I own. Lots of things have come and gone over the decades, but the Polaris is still relevent for people that like tracking.

#7 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:31 AM

I thoroughly regret selling mine for $100. :tonofbricks:

#8 labmand

labmand

Viking 1

• Loc: West Michigan USA

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

The Polaris mount is a keeper, I have 2, added a alum. Plate
with a vixon shoe, now it's ready for my refractors up to 102mm
Sct up to 6" or my reflectors up to150mm . Stable and light but not that
easy to find if your looking, the c80's a good match.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics