• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

I have a celestron cg5 goto mount and need some help please. im looking real close at the 11"sct for this mount. ive seen these mounts carrying this scope so I am going to take a chance and see if it will and if not ill get a heavier one. most say to purchase a different saddle for the mount so I just wont to make sure im looking at the right one, adm dual saddle adapter for celestron cg5 mount from opt $129. when ordering the scope would I get the one with CGE mount plate or vixen. thanks, donnie

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

Donnie,

If you're going to upgrade the saddle to the ADM dual model (good idea) then order the ota with the CGE plate. It's wider, stiffer and generally more robust and IMHO just makes so much more sense with the 27+ lb C11 ota. Also note that you could also get a D style plate from ADM to use instead of the orange CGE plate from Celestron. I don't think there's really any appreciable benefit to this, it's just an option to get everything from one source.

#3 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

I have the ADM dual saddle on my own CG5 - it is very much a large improvement over the stock cast saddle. Mark already covered the CGE type = D type = Losmandy type dovetail question.

The only other thing I would point out is that if you only have the stock single counterweight then you will certainly need additional counterweights for the CG5 to mount up a C11.

#4 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

thanks for the counterweight suggestion, I do have more weights from past none goto mounts so I would be set in that department. Im going to wait until warmer weather before I order. when I was younger the cold didn't bother me so much but at 72 it can be a real distraction. I can handle the weight of the tube but the cpc is another question, at 66 lbs and I only weigh 145 that would be a hassle. thanks again for the replies, donnie

#5 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

what you might do is order the CGEM weight bar, Its longer and has more folcum (I did it for my CG-5 and C9.25)... Kasey

#6 steveor

steveor

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

I have a CG5 and C11, it is true with some effort you can use it for visual use and even planetary video use. However it is a challenge, my own CG5 is heavily modified on a wooden Berlebach tripod, all the bearings have been changed or tweaked and you need to ensure perfect balance. I need to use 3 weights at maximum extension with a Baader Steeltrack and camera attached. In total I probably spent enough to get an NEQ6 !, but I don't mind because I was up for the engineering challenge and the Berlebach is reusable plus I gained a lot of knowledge tweaking (I effectively got the CG5 free on a deal)

Having done all that I then got a great 80mm APO and it is much more fun to use

So if you want to prove to people that you can do it, a CG5 will work with some effort, but do you want an easy life ? I would suggest a smaller scope or bigger mount

Of course I won't take my own advice because I've just added belt drive to my CG5 and additional vibration damping ;-)

#7 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

maybe I should consider a 9.25 sct for the cg5. I have a celestron 8" and it works great on the mount. what would I gain going from a 8 to a 9.25, for instance globular clusters. donnie

#8 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

ASCG-5 just sold for $485 on eBay. Add $150 for the new saddle and we have $635. Add $165 and you have a new AVX or a used CGEM.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics