Jupiter 3 Feb 1300UT

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:31 AM

Man, this took a long time to render, comments later. Seeing was excellent, transparency a little better...

No color in BA, just faint. The STB was well formed. The north was fascinating and hard to make sense of. I did not see the fourth oval trailing the trio...not sure why. Huge rift in the NEB along with a huge bump into the NTrZ. Festooning was pretty much indistinct with only one showing a nice garland. The other's just appeared to have some darker contrast above them with some white plumes. Again, an EZ belt was seen from limb to limb.

Attached Files

#2 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:46 AM

Norme,
Nice sketch. I love the three ovals and the looping festoon. I will be awaiting your take on the details.

Ken

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

Norme,

Your Jupiter sketching continues with great style and superb detail.

Frank :)

#4 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

Frank, I always appreciate your input. I keep pushing myself always wanting more. :)

#5 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:32 PM

Norme,

Good sketch of the Feb. 3rd Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#6 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:09 PM

Norme that's super good.

I was out with my C6 tonight and Im mystified. I get cyclonic hurricane swirls inside the white spots. You missed them however.

This is one of my favs. The preceding northern h limb has that fine belt that's got the wave in it and some details like split contrasts following that. Its not a showpiece detail like the GRS but its attractive for its rarefied look.
The asymmetric rifting and such is terrific and there's BA coming onto the globe. Well this view made up for the dry spell!!!

Pete

#7 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

Pete, you can see cyclonic swirls inside white spots? That's amazing, dude, really. Yea, I miss them. Maybe gotta try harder.

Yea, the last two observations were lacking some panache, and the sketches show that. For some reason, Jupiter was just not popping like it can. I dunno, I suspect transparency was the culprit.

#8 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:09 PM

Well not thru the scope. I was using the red dot finder. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Pete

#9 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:55 PM

Norme, This is an excellent sketch! I love these sweeping diagnol lines going across the SEB, NEB and NTB. Of course these are produced by different reasons but the visual effect of these lines produce a flow through the sketch which is very beautiful. I see the oval trio still hangin' in there. It doesn't look like they have changed position relative to each other since I last saw them over a month ago. That sweeping rift in the NEB is awesome. The NTB is very detailed in your sketch. The last time I saw it well I was impressed by it's complexity. Oval BA is lurking in the view on the following limb but appears dark in the sketch. It's orangish tone looks like it's past.

Thanks for posting. Glad you're having good seeing again. Dean

#10 Tamas Bognar

Tamas Bognar

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Hungary, Zákány

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:34 AM

Norme,

This is a perfect Jupiter sketch. :)

#11 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:32 AM

In great seeing, it's a perfect target. I can only hope to do it justice, Tamas. Thank you.

#12 Illinois

Illinois

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:40 AM

Norme.... great sketch! Nice! How do you see so much in little details like white spots and extra bands! You look at Jupiter longer to catch some little details or what? Any good suggest? Thanks!

#13 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

Illinois, yea, I observe for a long time each time. At least an hour and the sketch takes about 45 minutes. I observe and catch a few things even after the sketch is done. It's fair game, IMO, if I catch it and it belongs on those longitudes. :)

Undoubtedly the biggest factor the very calm tropical seeing. When it is dead calm, things just pop. But even then, you have to be patient because even the faintest and smallest details still flutter just enough to loose them. Once seeing get's to a pretty steady Ant III, it get's much harder, you have to wait much longer and Jupiter's rotation waits for no one. Wish it did... :)

On nights with better transparency, you can push even deeper. And I am finding 40x per inch is not detrimental, in fact I think it actually helps when some objects are admittedly dimmer but larger. Of course, great seeing allows almost perfect collimation and tropical climate does require the scope to chase ambient temperatures all night. So, cooled and collimated are important, too, as we know.

The rest is just sheer determination and patients to grab every fleeting glimpse Jupiter throws at you. And you just have to trust what you see, because very often anything smaller than the NEB is really not entirely that easy. It doesn't jump out of your eyepiece and land on your sketch like magic, you have to really tease it from the view. Festoons are a great example, they're there but sometimes better than others. Just wait for that nice glimpse, it'll come.

The rest is just luck. :)

#14 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

• Loc: York, England

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

Sorry Pete, but, huh?!?

cyclones, inside the white spots, with a red dot finder?

#15 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

• Loc: York, England

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

where to start with the sketch?

the EZ is fantastic, with the festoons sweeping up to form a thin faint belt.

The white ovals in the south, and the NTB + NNTB interacting like that.

The subtle realistic hues too.

It's a masterpiece.

#16 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

Chris, as an avid observer, your comments mean so much. Thank you.

Pete was kidding, as I found out. :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics