Photo

??? iOptron CEM60 or Save for an AP Mach1GTO ???

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#51 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:59 AM

I guess you have to get an astromart account, because they sure aren't offered on this forum!

#52 bseltzer

bseltzer

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: East S.F.Bay, CA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:31 AM

Look folks, it comes down to this... How many times do you want to cry?

Either way, you'll spend the money. The only question is how much risk are you willing to tolerate? Seems to me those who are willing to gamble on a $4K on a complete unknown are more adventurous than I am. I tip my hat to your spirit, but having been down that path, I would not follow your example.

Blueman said it all. You'd be well advised to listen to Floyd's advice. He knows whereof he speaks.

#53 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:47 AM

If you want a Mach1 now a quick wanted on astromart will get you one.

I had 3 offers when I put up my want ad and could afford to choose the best option.

There's also that AP900 right now for 5.5k.....

#54 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:17 AM

Yeah... That's tempting. But I'm saving for an AP1100GTO.

I've gone through this with many things in life. Cars, guitars, wives... ;)

What I learned was that if you're serious about something, spend the money and do it right or you'll only be frustrated and give it up. Then why do I have a CGEM, you ask? Simple. It came with my Edge 11 for an extra $150... and is an excellent visual use mount. Hard to turn that down.

But when I get into imaging, I'm going with Astro-Physics.

#55 calypsob

calypsob

Viking 1

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

IF iOptron can keep the price low...

I emailed iOptron a couple of weeks ago and the mounts were supposed to ship in January but were delayed due to problems with the worm manufacturer. They rejected about 20% of the initial batch and about 90% of the second batch. They indicated that they would stand by their advertised PE specs and pricing.

If they don't then that will cause a number of people to recalculate their next mount purchase.

Annoying news for early adopters, bad news for competitors. This signifies that iOptron is amping up it's quality control. ISO9000 standards are a difficult thing to implement with Chinese manufacturers, but when they actually go through.. giants are made.

#56 NightRyder

NightRyder

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Miami FL aka Light Pollution, USA

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

Lots of great advice here! When I started the post, I had no idea of what I was starting... hahahaha After more research and thought (some influenced by this post) I have decided to wait on the AP Mach1. The CEM60 may indeed prove to be a solid mount, but I can just see the quality oozing out of the AP Mounts. The milled aluminum opposed to cast is one of the biggest quality factors in my decision. Recent issues with a CGEM's cast aluminum completely turns me off from similarly produced mounts. Not to mention the whole American made deal... I'm saving and an AP Mount is definitely in my future.

#57 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

You won't regret it. :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics