Jove w/Panache

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

Well, finally had a great night with Jupiter, tonight it had a little more panache. I knew immediately when looking through the eyepiece I had better grab my sketch pad. Seeing was excellent and I suspect transparency was very good, as well.

After missing that fourth oval following the trio, tonight it was no problem. I could even see the faint darker ring around one oval. The SSTeB even showed it's darker borders with some lighter rifting inside. The STB actually broke into very tiny dark spots just ahead of BA. That was sweet.

The SEBz was quite distinct, especially that large bright knot. Not much detail seen in the zone itself, but it's brighter backbone was very nice. The dark spine of the SEB was very evident. The trailing portion of the zone actually showed faint downward sloping fragments instead of a faint rift. The undulating southern border was evident.

One striking aspect was the dark cloud rolling over the GRS, it had a strong dark S shaped appearance and a tiny loop or arc structure protruding into the STrZ. Tonight, the GRS was more distinct, almost as two parallel bars running across it, including across it's center.

The EZ was a bit easier with some nice festooning and interplay of white and blue-grey clouds. There were some festoon like clouds along the northern border of the SEB, as well.

The NEB was a bit difficult to pull much detail from other than it's normal undulating appearance across the northern border. Two rifts were noted, one below a flat festoon base near center and another on the following limb. There is a large lump protruding north near the following limb. The NTrZ seemed lighter across it's border with the NEB.

The northern zones and belts are simply a maze of fine belts with darker concentrations cut with brighter cloud. That double humped feature was crisp and clean, it was the view that inspired this sketch.

On 4 Feb at 1315UT, seeing was Ant I and I estimate transparency to be about mag 5 on the zenith. Magnification was 240x with an 8mm TMB II. System I 157, System II 94.

Attached Files

#2 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:19 PM

Norme - that's the money shot. The thin belt preceding BA braking up into a serrated appearance, detail with the GRS - the SEB wavering with rifts and streamers. Again though that thin thin detail in the NTB is really terrific. As mentioned on the other thread - its not glitzy like the showpiece phenomena like the GRS of SEB rifts but its wavering detail is certainly captivating. One of the best observations of the season Norme.

Pete

#3 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

I notice the Trio has that little bridge of zone like albedo to the following white spot. Very nice.

Can you elaborate on seeing the belt preceding BA breaking up into a trail of points?

Pete

#4 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:37 PM

Pete, yea, the STB was pretty much dark most of the time, but it varied in intensity from limb to limb. I happened to be observing the darker stretch preceding BA, then in a couple of moments of steady seeing it just broke into a series of tiny dark spots. Its almost as if it were a chain of 'monoliths.' Looking at images, those spots seem very prominent, but they seem also to define resolution for a 150mm aperture at whatever angular diameter they are. (I painted them faintly to preserve the realism as much as possible.)

Yea, I just could not tell if the bridge between the ovals was an illusion or if it was really there. Turns out, it is really there. Rather, north and south the belt is darker and lighter running through the middle. Same with the SSTeB on the preceding limb.

Yea, this is one of my better observations, enough to be happy with it (being spoiled, of course. :lol:) At year's end, though, like my avatar, Jupiter was really popping. Then it clouded out for almost a month. When it cleared, Jove seemed lackluster probably due to transparency. But, last night things took a turn for the better.

I want you to elaborate on seeing swirls inside anticyclones. Man, I have yet to see that level of detail, but you know I wanna...

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:48 PM

Norme,

This is a tremendous sketch just for all the fine detail you saw and recorded.
:woohoo:

Frank :)

#6 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

I was kidding about the swirls on the cyclones. I haven't seen a clear night and a telescope together in a looonngggg time. I would love to see that of course but Inthink its David Grays realm if not, huge dobville.

That breaking up of the STB like so many monoliths (the slang term applied to last years dark spot between the GRS and BA for anyone questioning it) sounds like a truly rewarding observation. I can see how it would materialize than vanish into a smooth belt. The monolith would vanish all together than reconstitute with the seeing. The lie of CCD imaging - if I can use that term - is that while the processed contrasts enhance the pale contrasts here - its not what's really there. I recall the monolith and the STB spots being processed so hard they looked like they were approaching moon shadows when the truth is these are very very low pastel contrasts. As much as I love CCD images these days in some ways its not at all representative of what jupiters face is really putting out. I imagine in the foreseeable future we will see dynamic range in CCD imaging making these contrasts more pastel pale and true to life. Till then while it makes for great pictures, if you were to fly to Jupiter it'd look closer to the eye piece view in contrast tonality and never ever the CCD. Ever.

Again I love CCD but here's a feature in particular that is not accommodated well - though invariably more conspicuous regardless.

My point in going off on the anti-CCD thing is that the monolith in particular revealed just how far askew the digital images were and somewhat turned me from them as any meter of contrast fidelity.

Some if the best or most rewarding visual observations I don't think convert we to CCD.
Pete

#7 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:22 PM

Thank you, Frank, I only have great seeing (and the almighty, if you will) to thank for such nights.

Pete, it's kind of rewarding to barely observe what images can show without any trouble. No, I would not trade the memory of those specks materializing for a beautifully processed and static image, either. Seeing them was striking and a cherished memory.

#8 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:18 AM

Nights are good if one can see details in the GRS. And you saw a lot of them!

#9 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:21 AM

Looks like the GRS wake has smoothed out a bit immediately following it huh? Since compared to 6 weeks ago.

Pete

#10 Tamas Bognar

Tamas Bognar

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Hungary, Zákány

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:33 AM

Norme,

fine sketch. The GRS looks very good. I like the structure of the SEB.

#11 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:29 AM

Uwe, seeing is key. Transparency, I believe, matters as well. Those faint smudges just don't have the oomph to poke through sometimes.

Tamas, thank you. It was a nice night.

Pete, yea, you know that saw tooth seems to come and go. It was pretty smooth a week ago, IIRC, now that big hump is forming. I wish I could see more detail in the wake itself. Maybe just have to pay more attention if given enough time before so many other features roll out of view. I started the sketch when the trio was about where it's shown and finished as they were near the preceding limb (which is how I managed the fourth oval.)

#12 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

Norme,
Nice sketch, you even caught the Mikey Mouse ears! Wow this one is super good.

Ken

#13 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

Thank you, Ken, yea I was pleased with the observation. I really spent 3 hours trying to make the rendition look right. It's close enough. :)

#14 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

• Loc: York, England

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

that STB is amazing. it's great to get the big glitzy details like the GRS and the main belts, but you expect to get them as a minimum, and it's when you get the teeny weeny fine dots and rifts that you really grin. I'm going to have to try harder, if it stops raining.

Pete, I'm with you on the CCD images. well, some of them drop my jaw, like Christopher Go and Danian Peach for example, but others don't get the resolution in the original data so they really push the wavelets during post-processing to the point where there are as many false artefacts as there are genuine surface details.
Of course I make this proclamation from the position of never having imaged Jupiter with a camera of any sort!

#15 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

This is one of my favorite sketches of yours. The detail in the GRS and SEB is exceptional. The oval trio and the NTB are great. Norme, your sketches give me something to look forward to once our needed rain takes a break.

Dean

#16 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

Norme, the most striking part of this rendering is the color, IMO. You really nailed the believable hues of the surface. One other thing, if you've ever been to Disney World (or Land), there are "Hidden Mickey's" in everything from the railings, to the wall paper...even in the brickwork. I think I can find your Hidden Mickey... :lol:

#17 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

Norme,

Very good sketch of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#18 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:43 PM

...and it's when you get the teeny weeny fine dots and rifts that you really grin.

You actually do. Yea, that is a nice memory. :grin:

Dean, I'm flattered.

Jason, yep, Mickey's head is everywhere, including Jupiter. :lol:

The color took a long time to adjust and get right over the years, there are so many hues to choose from and many are close to right but just not right. So, they get a little tweak here or there, tested, and re-tweaked until they are right. Even then, I have to play with them each sketch to give a little more luminance or hue. Again, it's very saturated in the sketch.

Thanks all, it seems Jupiter and the weather are cooperating again. That's nice after the lull in mid season with clouds and reduced transparency even on clear nights.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics