Photo

Jan14 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

Poll: Jan14 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll! (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Which sketch goes to the finals?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:24 AM

We are very pleased and proud to present the January 2014 Sketching Forum Semi-Finalists in the Cloudy Nights Imaging/Sketching Contest.

Asbytec

Posted Image

Here's my entry for Jan 2014 sketching contest.

I chose this one because it was the most unique so far this season. The Io transit shortly after opposition was amazing in that I suspected being able to observe Io eclipse it's own shadow. It was also faintly visible against the SEBn.

The festooning was pretty nice, but the cloud features in the north were quite nice even if LRS-1 was missed. Some of the rifting in the SEB was unique, as well, in that it's not often observed. Neither are the ovals in the SSTeB preceding the GRS. It was a great night worthy of sharing.

This sketch was made beginning 1700UT on 8 Jan from Luzon in the Philippines. Seeing was good to excellent, transparency was average. Equipment used was a 150mm MCT on an undriven EQ mount. Magnification was 240x with 8mm TMB II.

I'd prefer to submit the sketch in my avatar, it is more detailed and maybe a little better rendered. This one is more unique, so it was a tough choice. I hope I chose well. The write up is here.

acr_astro

Posted Image

Hi,

and here's my contribution for the JAN contest:
Find below the sketch of the lunar crater South which I did on Jan 12th observing through some high clouds.
Sketch done with pencil in my observation book, original size approx. 3 x 2 inches.

Telescope: Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT
Eyepiece: TS HR Planetary 7mm
Date & Time: Jan 12th, 2014 / 2100-2130 CET

Cheers,

Achim

Please note that voting will conclude on February 10th at Midnight ET.

Many thanks to all who took part in the contest!

#2 acr_astro

acr_astro

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany, Dusseldorf area

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:33 AM

Hi Norme,

Congratulations and All the Best for the Finals! :band:

Achim

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:37 AM

Achim, hey thank you. I was just checking in to see what's up and was shocked to see the results.

I've delved into lunar sketching. I appreciate your work having some idea how difficult and enjoyable it can be.

#4 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:09 AM

Hey, congrats, Norme!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics