Jupiter 6 Feb 1330UT

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

Comments tomorrow, it's late. But another stellar night...

Note the molted appearance of BA's attending cloud. Amazing. Also, there is some white going on below the tail of that cloud, not sure what to make of it. And a very dark section where festoon meets NEB. More later...

Attached Files

#2 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

Norme,
You sure caught a great deal with this one. The festoons are just beautiful. I hope to get some clear skies soon. I really do like the dark area by the base of the festoon. Quite interesting.

Ken

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:31 PM

Ken, thanks. Actually I thought the festooning was kind of lame (my fault.) It just looks weird. But after reviewing Chris Go's image, it turns out to be about right.

In some images that white feature in the SSTeB trailing BA's embedded cloud just seems to be a continuation of the lighter cloud between the STB and SSTeB. I thought it might have been an elusive oval, but it's not. Two ovals should have been there, but I missed them.

I still do not understand that darker concentration in the SEBn near the following limb. I need to see an image a little more rotated on this date to see what's going on in both the SEB and the northern belts/zones. Preferably a less detailed image that resembles more what I see.

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:11 PM

This is aggravating to be hemmed in or rather shackled with garbage seeing and more often than not - clouds, snow (10" yesterday) - oh and if its clear out - 15-25mph winds and so a minus number with wind chill factored.

Id like to take part in following your progress on my end but it isn't even reasonably possible. Its the nature of the locale and the season. And for whatever reason transparency has really sucked this winter.

But you have a great observation here. Astounding actually. Your on top of your game. That BAs trailing belt is all like that must've been a fine sight. Ahhh the whole planet must've been.

Pete

#5 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:26 AM

Pete, you cannot do anything about the weather, which is why I went into an indifference slump in the past few weeks with tropical depressions spewing clouds everywhere. It's a coping mechanism and I feel your pain. Jupiter is just not well placed in the winter skies.

It was nice to really "see" Jupiter again. It seems even here those very steady nights when Jupiter can be "seen" are not assured. The past couple of nights, though, have been a Godsend. Tonight looks promising, too, and I'm gonna take every advantage...because our season is so short and time is running out. Coupla months maybe...

#6 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

What the...!?! Norme, weren't you complaining about being rusty the other day? You're just a flat out liar. :lol: This is amazing. The black pearls, the active EZ, the fine banding...I'm loving all of it.

#7 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

A little lube never hurts. :)

I felt rusty, yea. I felt like Jove just wasn't bearing herself like she can do. Or maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. Or maybe the weather wasn't as good. I'm quite happy with this one, though.

#8 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:07 PM

Lookin' good Norme. Great sketch. I like the connection of the STB and SSTB. Almost looks like the STB is feeding of the SSTB. Loads of detail in this sketch.

Dean

#9 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:16 PM

Norme,

Very good sketch of the Feb. 6th Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#10 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

Great sketch, you really get the most out of that modest 6"aperture.

#11 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

Norme,

Wonderful sketching from you continues in you sensational style with great detail. Keep up these great posts.

Frank :)

#12 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

:bow: to all...thank you.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics