• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jim W. Coleman

Jim W. Coleman

Explorer 1

• Loc: Puget Sound, Washington, USA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

Greetings,
Yes, it's me again - the guy who quit smoking and saved enough to buy a Celestron Advanced VX mount. Now, three months later, I've saved enough to buy a Milburn wedge. Fortunately for me, they are manufactured very close to where I live, and I've already made arrangement with Ken.

My question is this: Do you love your Milburn? I have a standard Meade wedge now supporting my 8" LX200R on a permanent pier, but that wedge is very sloppy, with tons of backlash and just can't seem to keep a good alignment. My pier plate is a homebuilt job, more than an inch thick of laminated plywood, fully adjustable for level, with support along the entire width and length of any mount put on it (it was designed for my old scope and a Meade Ultrawedge.) Will this be sufficient for the Milburn?

I have just become so frustrated with the Meade wedge that I rarely use the LX200 any more and use my Celestron on the AVX. But the LX200R is a sweet scope and now that spring is on the way, I'm hoping the Milburn will significantly improve the stability so I can fall in love with this scope again.

BTW, still not smoking. Quit on August 24. Thus far, the money I've saved has bought the new AVX mount and now the Milburn. By the one year mark, I'll have a CGEM also - all from not smoking. :)

#2 nmoushon

nmoushon

Vostok 1

• Loc: Stephens City, VA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:09 PM

Really a big congrats on sticking through quitting smoking! I know how hard that can be.

On to the wedge. I haven't used that one personally but I've seen other with them and have heard good thing. The one thing that I would think would be the weak point would be the 1" tick plywood pier plate. I don't have a pier but would think that at only a 1" thick it would tend to flex under the shifting weight of the wedge/mount/telescope. Maybe someone will come on and say other wise and prove me wrong but I can't see how that would work well. All wood continually swells and shrink with the moisture and temp of the air. Even if its treated. It might not be noticeable but even a little but is a lot when it come to PA and the focal length you're working with.

#3 hargy

hargy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lawrenceville, GA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

If I quit smoking I would be able to get a Mach1 in a year but my mom didn't raise a quitter. lol Grats on the quitting.

#4 PatHolland

PatHolland

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Clever, Missouri

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:01 AM

Congrats Jim. Wish I could quit. I do like my Milburn wedges, 1 for my 14" LX200 and 1 for my 10" LX200. Made a huge difference from the Meade wedge. You will not be disappointed.

#5 BigSteve72

BigSteve72

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Antelope, Ca.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

Congratulations on quitting! I have been smoke free for 4 months now. Sorry I can't answer your question but had to congratulate you on your success :)

#6 bseltzer

bseltzer

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: East S.F.Bay, CA

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

Been tobacco free now for going on 4 years. Congrats on joining us converts! In my case, I really had no choice. Sudden cardiac arrest will get your attention, if you're lucky enough to make it back (Less than 3% of those who are down for 5 minutes like I was do). Double by-pass graft and a major life style change later, I'm more fit than most people 20 years younger.

Anyway... the point is if you still smoke, you have no choice either. If you don't stop yourself, the grim reaper will do it for you sooner or later. Most likely sooner...

Nuf' sed

#7 astrovienna

astrovienna

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: The NoVa White Zone

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:22 AM

I have a CPC1100 on my Milburn in my little dog-servatory and I use it exclusively for imaging, so you can guess that it's plenty stable. That's on a wood pier with wood pier plate, but the "pier" is only six inches long, as you can see. I think you might want to beef up your pier plate, but that depends on what's under it and how it's arranged. The Milburn is built like a tank, so it's about 45 pounds.

Congratulations on the quitting, Jim. We're all cheering you on.

Kevin

#8 btieman

btieman

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:37 AM

Do I love my Milburn wedge? YES, YES and more YES :) My CPC1100 lives on the thing 365. I rarely realign...usually only after I do something stupid like kill the power before hibernating. My last alignment lasted over a year before I needed to remove the scope for some maintenance.

The only thing I don't like about it...and not Ken's problem to be sure...is that me tripod is not perfectly smooth on top where the wedge sits on it so when tightening down the wedge there's movement in the alignment that's a little unpredictable. I always tighten down with the camera running on my alignment star (I use Celestron's ASPA) so I can see what's going on. I never drift align but I can see this being a bit of a problem there if you're on a tripod or other non-planer surface. On a piere with the wedge on bolts probably not as much of a problem.

#9 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

Congrats on quitting smoking. Although I never smoked cigarettes I have been surrounded by smokers my whole life and I know how hard it is to quit. My wife is on her 8th year and I'm not sure she would even be alive today if she hadn't quit. I hope you stick with it. My wife said that even after 8 years the craving hasn't gone away so it's a constant battle. Good luck.

#10 Dennis53121

Dennis53121

Vostok 1

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:37 AM

Congratulations on the quitting smoking. I use a Milburn wedge on my 10" Schmidt and it is a very stable setup. Just as you won't regret being a non-smoker, you won't regret buying a Milburn wedge.

Dennis

#11 Jim W. Coleman

Jim W. Coleman

Explorer 1

• Loc: Puget Sound, Washington, USA

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

Thanks, all, for the feedback and kind words! Friday was my six-month anniversary of quitting smoking. I got my Milburn Wedge yesterday - Ken lives locally so we met at a convenient spot. Can't wait to get it set up in the observatory. Stay tuned! :)

#12 bseltzer

bseltzer

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: East S.F.Bay, CA

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

Way to go!!! Congrats on both counts.

-Bert

#13 dwitek

dwitek

Mariner 2

• Loc: White Lake, Michigan

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

I absolutely loved my Milburn wedge, purchased used at the time. I sold the 10" LX200 I used it for and went another direction but it was the best looking part of my gear, gleaming as it does, in the starlight.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics